Corken T-91 (recover 6lbs a minute)

What in the flying fuck?!

You guys actually are going to recommend recovery at this temp? Maybe crude, but not anyone who cares about the end product.

I bet you can’t get those “quoted” recovery rates. IE

I’ve never, ever, ever seen. Or heard, as they are loud as fuck, an mvp (especially that small) recovering that fast.

150F WHAT THE FUCK?!

I average 2+ lbs a min at 25c and I slow that shit down or I will over boil.

13 Likes

Great way to get phenomenal speed just run it at waaay above anything anyone would do

8 Likes

I recover active
My heating water is set at 70C
If my recovery unit is off my pressure gauge reads 4.5 bar
But I never let that happen for I start recovering right away my pump pulls the pressure inside to 2.8 bar
This makes my butane boiling temp 23C the last 10 liters i catch in a sort of honey pot that’s connected at the botom of my collection pot and once the last 10 liters are in the collection pot I open the valve to catch it in the honey pot where it gets to evaporate in a 40C bath
Deu to using a acid activated powder In my crc I have no problem in getting shatter at all
The trick is to let the 90% boil of at a high jacket temp and the last bit in a low jacket temp
For once evaporation start stalling little cold is created and your oil starts heating up
Maybe @downtheterphole can explain the termo dynamics involved

9 Likes

40c is still too warm for terpenes.

5 Likes

for the last 3% of butane I agree but
That I pour out early
It s @downtheterphole his hints that made me place termowells everywhere
And it s quit cold inside IF there is evaporation (boil) gooing on

7 Likes

Is that the pump you had a pic of stuffed in the back of your van, im gonna have to get a way bigger system if i go the corken route.

I have my collection jackets at 110°f. That doesn’t mean the oil inside is anywhere near that though. When I pour out at 0 psi my IR gun usually reads around 45°

Yes same size diffrent unit
But there are smaller corkens
Than the 491 I have
I think the T91 is smaller in size and capacity

1 Like

Yes we have the T91s equipped with the Exergy in stock currently.

@Dred_pirate sounds like you might need to go back to thermodymagician school for a little refresher.

Enthalpy (Latent heat) of vaporization: the amount of energy (enthalpy) that must be added to a liquid substance to transform a quantity of that substance into a gas. The enthalpy of vaporization is a function of the pressure at which that transformation takes place.

When you have a highly diluted solution (lots of solvent) in the collection pot most of the heat energy being input is acting as latent heat of vaporization to boil the solvent. The oil doesn’t “feel” any temperature increase at that point and the temperature of the boiling solution is correlated with the overall vapor pressure in the pot, not the temp of the heat exchanger.

For example: Got n-butane at 17psig in your collection pot? It’s at 70F (21C). If the pressure rises to 30psig, now it’s at 90F (32C). Just look at the vapor-pressure curve.

A higher delta T between the heat exchanger and the solution will result in more heat transfer per second and faster overall conversion of the liquid solvent to gas without an increase in temperature.

150-160F (65-70C) should be no problem as long as the solution is highly diluted.

When you start to get a more concentrated solution I think it makes sense to back off the temperature or transfer the solution to another, lower temperature vessel like @Roguelab describes.

I’m not sure about the recovery speed ratings that the OP is giving out for the Corken but it sounds like they are giving the numbers calculated from taking the compressors rated CFM and doing a conversion straight over to theoretical lbs of butane vapor moved per hour.

Of course we all know by this point in time that recovery rate of a batch extraction system is mainly dependent on your ability to generate vapor in the collection pot. This in turn has to do with collection pot (or evaporator) design and heat transfer efficiency. A pump will generally not increase your recovery rate although I’m thinking there may be some scavenging effect like the exhaust manifold of a car.

9 Likes

That’s where I call their BS. Most extraction companies quote numbers like this. And it’s never achievable. Ever. I am yet to see any of these pumps, ever, run nearly as fast as these claims.

As far as learning how to do what I’m doing. No.
Dude, you’re pretty smart. But, you’re extremely long winded and that’s probably why @downtheterphole and myself never bother addressing you.

Nearly all “massive” industries. Which includes everything larger than a rail car. Will be moving solvents like this with zero pumps.

150-160f is far too hot.

If you need to heat your jacket that much. AND YES YOUR EXTRACT WILL BE HEATED TO THAT DEGREE. Do you really think that non of your cannabinoids, or terpenes will be subjected to that heat, or the results of it.

If so, that may be a reason why I’ve never bothered to respond to you.

How many cuck operators you think know when they need to turn their heat off FROM 160 FUCKING DEGREES and let their collection cool down naturally. And heating your solution up to 90f to raise pressure, 100% heating up your cannabinoids and boiling off lighter volatile. And you’re saying it’s ok to do this to 150-160. I think you’re the one who needs some schooling.

Yet, I’m still faster and I don’t turn my 18kw heater any warmer than 25c (78f). And I average a minimum of 2lbs a min.

3 Likes

Lol. 6lbs a minute. I recover at 12C because any higher and my Huber chiller will literally overboil itself and I BARELY recover a lb a minute, i’d say far less actually and I’ve ran hundreds of pounds through my T91.

2 Likes

@Dred_pirate there is a way to go even faster on passive. You can definitely go hotter for faster speeds but you need to add a reflux column to condense your terps back into your pot. It also helps by cooling your solvent vapor down as well before it hits the coil. Same concept as a boiling flask and condenser on a short path.

If you dont add a reflux column which many are not using and probably going too hot. Then you will push terps over and affect the efficiency of your mol sieve by coating your beads with oil. This will repel water making them useless. Every system imo needs a reflux column before the sieve

10 Likes

10 Likes

My mol sieve hasn’t been that sticky before. And the top of my collection at the site glass is a lot colder and prevents a complete boil over through the lines, but she’ll boil right up there and settle down really quick. Having something to settle the reflux helps greatly for sure

3 Likes

Yea i was going too hot trying to go too fast and realized i was distilling oil/terps as well. They smelled great :grin:. I can see the reflux coming back down and dripping into the pot. I saw more activity actually when my run was closer to collection. Im guessing more oil/terps was being pushed since there wasnt much solvent left

Use to do thw same thing back in the day when running an mkv, had to extend the spool with the vapor ports so it didnt suck oil up even not running hot. Usually with multiple pumps but it worked like a champ

1 Like

What are you using to keep the dust from the sieve from contaminating everything

1 Like

@Dred_pirate I hit over 1lb/m. Usually closer to 1.5 for a majority of the curve @ 105f with a MVP150 on my 5hp condenser. 100% ntane as well.

My beads are sticky so as of rn i dont see any dust. But were looking to move away from zeolite beads for that reason

1 Like