Copper turned my dabs black!

Seconded. Make sure to use 100% pure copper rather than copper coated.

3 Likes

I wish I would have used better copper scrubbers. Iā€™d be stoked if I could filter out this rust looking stuff with some filter mediaā€¦If not, live and learn.

Honestly distillation is the best process for this sort of unknown metal compound remediation. Unfortunate thatā€™s not an option. Water wash would be my next bet.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to try the hexane/NH4OH wash that Skunkpharm discusses and see how that works. If needed, Iā€™ll then filter through various media in a chromatography column and see what happens. Iā€™ll post my outcome either way. Appreciate all the input.

1 Like

I appreciate everybodyā€™s attempt to help. I realize Iā€™m trying to remove an unknown substance, so that becomes a shot in the dark. I will first try evaporation of the ethanol, then dissolve it in hexane and do a ammonia saline wash and seperate the two layers (keeping hexane) Iā€™m hoping the high pH saline water will trap the rust or copper sulfide or whatever I have thatā€™s turning my solution black. Once I separate and keep the hexane layer, I will try filtering through bentonite, alumina, and silica. If itā€™s destroyed at by now, I wonā€™t be too disappointed, but hoping for a fun science experiment.

1 Like

Did you ever figure a solution I have 33 oz of amazing looking shatter that taste terrible like sulfur :frowning:

yeah use actual copper scrubbies not copper COATED scrubbies.

6 Likes

If youā€™re looking for metal remediation I would suggest some sort of metal chelating filtration media thatā€™s typically found in water purification or other processes where filtration media with a high affinity for metals is required.

Iā€™d suggest some kind of iminodiacetate functional group. If you need to remove copper then I would suggest Lewatit TP 207 to start with. If youā€™re working on small scale you might even be able to get a small free sample to trial and it may be enough to suffice for this remediation.

@Lopid1014 if you are trying to remove sulfur and want to try it via filtration, I might suggest an Amberlite resin.

Iā€™m not following what you mean. I was just going to dissolve in ever clear and warm up to 100f and toss the metal scrubbies in and remover clean and repeat.

Do you know if the 30lb of solvent (butane) I recovered from the run that was tainted with sulfur taste is any good ? Iā€™m scared to run this solvent on other material in case the sulfur stuck to the butane .

Iā€™m just coming from the perspective of maybe you have actual copper in your material. youā€™ll want to remove the copper. You can do that with filtration.

If your material has a sulfur contamination, you can dilute it down in everclear, and filter it through a buchner funnel with a sulfur removing resin. Or you can do it your way as well. There are several ways to skin a cat. Iā€™m just throwing out ideas for you to potentially use or not use :).

I recommend dissolving in Ethanol and add pure copper scrubbers. Make sure they are not simply copper-coated. That was the problem I ran into, then I got a rusty solution I attempted to remediate.

1 Like

What about copper pieces from Home Depot I ordered some scrubbies but says 2 week delivery

You can buy them at the grocery store, the copper plates work but not as good since they have less surface area than the scrubbies.

Havenā€™t had any luck in Canada finding real copper scrubbies

Excuse my ignorance if this is a dumb question but do you have 2 day prime delivery up there? Lots of options on Amazon

1 Like

Haha yea we do bro I just couldnā€™t find any legit ones with the 2day prime had some bad review saying they werenā€™t pure copper

1 Like

Look for a brand called chore boy @Lopid1014

2 Likes

Thanks appreciate the help

Have you used ion exchange resins with ethanol solutions? Iā€™ve only used them in water and they were slow and a lot of work. Did not use in cannabis.

1 Like