Cooling a slurry with LCO2

First off, I’m pretty unfamiliar with the mechanics of cooling with LCO2. I imagine you run LCO2 through a vessel, vent it to atmosphere, and get a cooling effect?

Currently I condense in a DI/denatured slurry, however my DI supply has become unreliable. I was wondering if I’d be able to put a second coil in my slurry, run LCO2 through it to cool the slurry, and keep the rest of my system the same?

Don’t blow yourself up. People have mentioned you need thicker walled steel for lco2

Edit: I see you’re not talking about using jacketed columns, so nevermind

1 Like

This sounds sketch tho.

2 Likes

I’m thinking a thick walled SS coil, not sure how that’s more sketch than a jacket. Maybe because it can clog easier?

Back to the thickness thing. Definitely do some searching, but I swore I saw standard steel is 3mm and things need to be 5mm thickness for lco2.

But that’s for jacketed steel. Dunno about coils.

Def get as much advice as you can, all I know is from comments here, but guys seem to be extra careful around it.

1 Like

And get dry ice that’ll expand and stretch thin steel.

I wouldn’t recommend using lco2 for cooling unless the column has been engineered for it

3 Likes

Lco2 venting out of a coil is gonna clog up fast ain’t it?

1 Like

It’s gonna make dry ice quick then start to expand the steel. Maybe it’s more doable on a smaller circumference like a jacketed coil, but I wouldn’t do that unless it was an exergy coil that has some engineered specs on it.

3 Likes

Yep, so sketch is right lol.

That much pressure scares me.

Thanks for chiming in, I was definitely just going off of what you and dred have commented before on the subject.

1 Like

Where is LCO2 typically vented to? Collection vessel?

Yeah Boris went through a lot of trial and error in bizzys infancy figuring that stuff out. Or so I heard.

Atmosphere

With a relatively open input, throttle on the output? I feel like a coil in slurry is safer than a jacketed column. If it blows, CO2 goes everywhere–not butane

1 Like

If it blows?? Are you justifying the safety of an explosion on your rig?

Not justifying, just planning for the worst

1 Like

Planning for the worst would be not doing something dangerous that could blow up

2 Likes

i can assure you a non volatile explosion is still an explosion you do not want. EVER

7 Likes

Not sure where I gave the impression I want a non volatile explosion. I’m just emphasizing how a coil in slurry design is inherently safer than a jacketed design for this application

2 Likes

sure seems like you are trying to justify the possibility with this comment.

2 Likes

Do ya’ll not plan for ruptured vessels? I have an oversized exhaust specifically for this possibility. My intention for that comment wasn’t to brush it off, just to plan for the possibility of it

1 Like