Cooling a slurry with LCO2

pour some liquid nitro into a thick stainless bucket and dunk the coil in there is what i would think if youre trying to get off dry ice

1 Like

I’d avoid direct injected CO2 because of carbonic acid buildup?

Are you trying to recirculate or just run sacrificially?

It should certainly work in theory, make sure you got some PRV in there.

There’s certainly some options, and it’s not unfeasible. Wanna draw a picture of what you have in mind? Or maybe some photos of your existing setup?

1 Like

This is what I had in mind

(yes ik pump is on the floor, this pic was taken at the initial build, no butane in the system)

depends on how much psi the coil can hold, chilling capacity of lco2 is relative to the psi i believe, take it outside and find out

I’ve done a bit of direct injection to test cooling capacity.

Someone with a better thermodynamics calculating mind would do a better job of this than me, but…

I think there’s more cooling “energy” in buying solid CO2 at -80c than buying a tank of it compressed as liquid at room temp.

Unless you want to start running a recovery setup I don’t think it’s going to be terribly efficient.

2 Likes

Recovery setup? I’m intrigued. Who has a bizzy system in the northeast I could stare at for a bit

most bzbs run lco2 vented through jackets but at high psi (~125), the steel is beefed way up to stop from busting at pressure and imploding from cold, so ive been told anyway

oasis refinery runs one, super dope rig

1 Like

The venting side of the coil will freeze shut quick
I would place all butane filled coils inside a co2 dewar filledwith liquid co2

3 Likes

It looks like you are using CO2 to go through a coil inside of a bucket of a heat exchange liquid that will also have another coil in it running your butane through it?
If that’s the case you will do much better with some dry ice instead of liquid CO2… Unless you are somewhere you cannot easily get or hold on to dry ice. (Make sure your heat exchange coil for your butane is long enough)

I imagine the Dewar would also need to be vented to atmosphere? Why would that vent not also freeze up quick? It would be the same amount of CO2 evaporated per gram of butane condensed, no?

Unfortunately my preferred dry ice source is off the table, for the foreseeable future. Any reason why a system with heat exchanging fluid is drastically less efficient?

I think that will at least be safe, even if exit occludes with dry ice. Tube will handle 1200 psi or better

I’d tend to exhaust into the slurry.

2 Likes

Exhausting into the slurry seems smart, though I’d prefer to vent outside of the air I need to breath if possible. Any idea how systems like bizzy vent without occlusion?

@BizzybeeTeam ?

70psi prv sounds familiar. I’ve never gone there

Would that be tru if venting into a slurry & controlling liquid co2 flow in a temperature dependent manner (or just fiddling the valve till you got it)?

1 Like

Lol idk how the “hey guys, mind if you help me understand your system, so I can replicate a redneck version of it” will go. And anyways, I lost Boris’s fancy metal business card

And according to this, CO2 injection at 70psi would be a vapor CO2 system not liquid CO2 system, so now I’m very confused

2 Likes

You’re going to go through a lot of liquid CO2. Have you considered a system with LN2 instead?

1 Like

Totally open to LN2, just figured LCO2 was the move as it seems more popular. My only preference is a dual coil/slurry design if possible, as it’d seemingly have the lowest cost of adaption/safety ratio