Cookies launched their "THCa" store. What am I missing here?

So Cookies launched their “THCa” products store, selling Cannabis flower, among other things, that is indistinguishable from that produced in any of the many regulated states. Are they exploiting some loophole I’m unaware of, or did their lawyers just get comfortable by going a strict interpretation of the 2018 Farm Bill with legalized Cannabis sativa products with not more than 0.3% delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol on a dry weight basis?

3 Likes

Hemp lads found a loophole where “hemp derived” THC-a is technically legal since it isn’t D9. So essentially, a hemp grower can just grow cannabis and sell it while doing their best to maintain the less than .03% D9 limit. Every hemp store in TN is doing it afaik.

2 Likes

That is our understanding alongside the issue of enforcement.

1 Like

Damn not just Tennessee, 14 states including Texas.

4 Likes

This is pretty huge imo

The brand went okay we are gonna make a billion. The lawsuits will be 100 million to fight so we still up 900 mil

17 Likes

Texas, huh? They should try Indiana while they are at it.

3 Likes

The COAs are from Marin Analytics so I’m sure they’re super duper complaint

5 Likes

Sucks for everyone who missed out on this cash cow THCA-A is here to stay :saluting_face::beers:

3 Likes

No one was aware of THCA-A

3 Likes

2 Likes

It seems like they’re trying to get sued and force the whole federal legalization debacle to come to a head.

Right, but the part that I don’t get is the USDA requires post-decarb analysis, and the COAs Cookies provides are all pre-decarb.

1 Like

It’s cute people think cookies has a billion or potential for a billion. Lollll

7 Likes

And here we have the difference between the law in the statute and the regulations in the final rule. One is the law and the other is not the law and can be dickered over in the courts.

We expect this loophole to be closed in September with the changes in the Farm Bill 2023. So hopefully people get all that they put in out before then.

5 Likes

Def not AB45 compliant if they fulfill from CA

2 Likes

All the profit goes to Berner’s chains

9 Likes

I mean its a pretty big brand and the amount was clearly exaggerated for the joke. Does discussing the worth of someone else’s brand get you feeling some type of way?

1 Like

800 million credits no good

23 Likes

Have you heard anything about the new farm bill? I know youre tied in with lots of high level officials and follow this stuff pretty closely

1 Like

Yeah. Here’s the options I heard.

Completely removing all cannabinoid production and rescheduling those molecules. (Super prohibitionist)
Completely removing all intoxicating cannabinoid production and rescheduling those molecules. (Them trying to be more reasonable)

I know we’re all hoping for something more like, explicitly allowing all these things. But not one was talking about that. Most people were asking how we could effectively lock things back down, as the proliferation of all these products was not their intention.

Last years public hearings discussed some of this stuff - but really didn’t get to into it too deeply. Talking about where these are coming from, a lack of regulatory oversight, and not really being interested in picking up the ball to carry it to full legalization or rescheduling.

I’m waiting patiently to receive the actual farm bill draft. Got the opportunity to meet with the head staff for both the house and senate agriculture committees - they are not learning towards being more lenient on our industry. They seem to want to lock things down.

Now is the time to let them know how that will impact your business - there are forms for both the House and Senate committees to receive comments on the Farm Bill. We gotta keep writing, calling, and showing up.

My next visit is in September, we’ll have a draft by then - since it will be voted into law by the end of September. I encourage anyone who is able to come out to the cannabis caucus activities (its a group of house and senate members that are favorable to our industry). I’ve been making calls, setting up webinars, and mailing out one-pagers on our industry since April on this topic.

Its worth looking at what the FDA and DEA are saying about these things now. They are working hard to keep these things scheduled and roll back some of the flexibility of the Farm Bill 2018. And the courts are only kind of helping (really not helping at all). And between now and when those cases make it all the way to the Supreme Court, the Farm Bill will change anyway. :frowning:

Join me. You’re needed.

22 Likes