Contracting sop Providing CBN sop up to 5kg scale for (read me)

Ok… Do you bunch of current/former criminals pinky swear that you won’t make more than 5kg a month? Do you promise to give me 20% of everything you make since it’s only gonna be 5kg? We’re all just a bunch of honest dudes, so if you pinky swear it you have to do it. You can’t sell any more or I’ll get really mad and won’t invite you to my birthday.

Wtf kinda deal is that. Unless you got a patent all anyone’s gonna do is laugh at you (see above) or just lie and make however the hell much they want.

6 Likes

@Future

I think this all begs the questions:

What defines the line between open source information helping patients and Intellectual property that benefits individuals and businesses?

What is a fair profit margin on these processes? Cannabis has always been inflated due to prohibition. The line of greed seems to vary person to person but it’s seems too common for those profiting to call out others also profiting at a rate they decide is unethical.

2 Likes

Y’know, make some money, but not too much.
:stuck_out_tongue:

It’s all gonna be economies of scale in 5 years. And we’ll all be out of a job/lab. Make whatever hay you can while the sun shines, before all the Giants block out the sun and little guys wither and die.

6 Likes

Or you know, build the infrastructure and skills the big guys will need when that time come.

CBD production has been all about scaling since day one; which is why we give tours of our lab daily. Who cares if people see our process, it’s literally only money that makes it grow.

The know-how and equipment has been developed since the start of the industrial revolution. Nothing we are doing is all that special.

9 Likes

I will agree this is one large demand for your SOP… i would assume no one will take you on this offer.

Hey everyone, here’s a free SOP for CBN from CBC as a starting material. I can help you do the math to scale it to 5kg if you can’t do it yourself. :wink:

To a stirred solution of CBC (300 mg, 0,954 mmol) in toluene (20 mL), iodine (472 mg, 1,860 mmol) was added. The mixture was refluxed and monitored by TLC (PE-EtOAc 9:1, Rf CBC= 0,27, Rf product= 0,29). After 3 hours, the reaction was quenched by addition of sat. Na2SO3 s.s. and extraction with EtOAc. After drying (Na2SO4) and evaporation, the residue was purified by gravity column chromatography on silica gel with PE-EtOAc 95:5 solution to afford CBN (5) as a brown oil (236 mg, 82%).

5 Likes

Thanks for copying this from a recent organic letters article. Many people on here will tell you that CBN is a light yellow distillate or white isolate. The report of a brown oil just says that these academics didn’t really care to refine their process much. @Dabatronicus remember that nasty brown CBN I first made…think someone from the forum would want that crap?

6 Likes

Exactly, anyone can repeat the same process that is not commercially viable or even likely safe to ingest. It’s always easier on paper then in practice. Most do not have the experience to know they are making a product safe for human consumption

This is why I think when moving past basic extraction and isolation, higher standards for consultation verifications should be implemented

3 Likes

Where do you find CBC? Or do I need to make that from CBD? Spoon please! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Yea wondering how you are getting CBC as a starting material.

Gotta agree with @Siosis here…

2 Likes

So what’s the point of alchemy then? :rofl::sunglasses:

1 Like

He could have had a point possibly before he started talking about strategically exploiting people :joy:

3 Likes

I’m of the opinion y’all should cut the guy a break. He even admitted he used the wrong choice of words. At the end of the day, everyone here is profiting in some way.

His CBN process works while many others are selling the common iodine method as a viable option when it’s not. Yes, you could pay less but in many cases, you don’t get a finished process.

How does one know who is selling good processes? Right now, you can’t unless you have a working relationship with the handful of people doing it.

Seems to me, this forum likes to gang up on other users too easily and will lead to users posting less. It’s happened on every cannabis forum since at least Overgrow

2 Likes

Very true. Happens a lot. But some times it is warranted. Either way the mob mentality is definitely real.

1 Like

Nah- some people just wanna help people and cure cancers.

If I make enough to survive along the way I’m as happy as the person who’s life I saved.

Y’all need to stop privatizing medicine- especially plant medicine- this is a gift to the sick and you are standing in the way.

Don’t stand in the way.

11 Likes

@Rowan

Read this part, it’s easy to say stuff but these questions have existed since before our industry.

I give away medicine to any body who asks, Btw. Read my last post too, one can’t even ask questions here without a bunch of hostility. How have I stood in the way?

1 Like

I’m not speaking to you specifically- it’s more just me venting about the industry as a whole

I do agree that practical experience is essential, and an SOP is useless without that experience; that’s why actual consulting is more important than just slangin SOPs. And for sure, a lot of people without proper organic chemistry laboratory experience should not be attempting these rxns.

But offering SOPs of publicly available information for exorbitant prices is creating a gatekeeper mentality in the cannabis industry. Any chemist seasoned with research will be able to disseminate a reasonable synthetic pathway from analyzing the literature.

Scifinder is an extremely valuable resource

2 Likes

Future should have its own journal, where SOPs can be published.

Have a paywall for access, this would then bring in more paying members, and the authors of the publications could be rewarded monetarily with that newfound income.

This place is supposed to be open source and not a community of SOP slangers.

3 Likes