Color Remediation Cycle Times

What cycle times are you getting when remediating color through your CRC like in @Sohlet post above? Anyone doing 1 gallon in one minute? Any suggestions on how to get one gallon per minute through? Anyone got rules of thumb on figuring this out?

We recover about 40lbs (approx 7gal) Isobutane in about 20min. Fully passive. That is with Nitro assist and a heated CRC.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for? But if you are doing the CRC tech correctly it shouldn’t slow down your recovery at all.

1 Like

I think he’s referring to the flow rates through the crc?

Is that correct @AutomationGuy? If so, the rate is much slower than that, unfortunately I haven’t really timed it yet though, so I have no idea what numbers it would be.

2 Likes

Edit: deleted

Deleted, just me being a dumbass

edit: deleted

Yep, I’m misunderstanding, I thought you are asking the flow of the solvent coming OUT of the crc. My bad

Right, but he explicitly stated how long it takes him to evaporate and condense 40lbs of solvent. This gives no indication of how long it took that 40lbs of solvent to go through the CRC.

1 Like

Haha, ok, maybe I wasn’t being dumb. I think there’s some confusion here fer sure.

@AutomationGuy, are we talking about flow rates through the crc, or total time from start to finish, or just solvent recovery?

I am trying to figure out the flow rate (gal/min or min/gal) through a CRC. I want to see if anyone is getting close to one gallon per minute through their CRC process.

I can say right now I have not seen anybody get those kind of flows through a crc. I may be wrong, but I’d poop myself seeing those kind of rates.

I think the bigger guys are saying a couple of hours for extraction. For me, running 1800ml or so of solvent, it takes I’d say 20 minutes. That’s through a 1.5 diameter spool, I believe the bigger the spool the faster the flow with comparable psi.

1 Like

I nvr heard ppl refer to tane in gal before

1 Like

That too, it’s mostly in pounds.

1 Like

There are so many different configurations being employed for the CRC by everyone involved. Flow rate is highly dependent upon how you choose to pack your media so it wouldnt be unheard of to reach the flow rates youre talking about you would just have to configure your system to run like that.

The single biggest factor in determining flow rate would be the diameter of your CRC column like @Curious_Roberto said.

Most folks here favor a decent amount of residence time with their CRC to ensure that the color bodies are being adsorbed, which is why you dont see people boasting high flow rates.

1 Like

Getting 1gal/min of effective color remediation can definitely be achieved, it would just be a very large scale system.

Something that size would be a site to behold!

1 Like

I am pushing treu a 6" filterstack
60 kg of butane in less then 12 min
I use b80 only and speed could be heighet if it didn t all have to go treu the 1/2" line at the botom of the stack
The result is vivid gold not waterclear
I then let this solution pass treu 2 3" filterstacs to colectionpot in about 15 min at 90 psi so 30kg solution each
This is also b80 only about 6" high in the 3" spool
This gets mee to pale yellow color

1 Like

when remediating color inline i have just a 6" spool with a sintered disc filter on top to slow the flow down silica on top b80 underneath with 2 filter stacks 1 5um or lower and then 2.5 or lower on the next filter stack above the reducer. and it takes about 25-35 minutes to run 35-50 lbs of solvent through the material and crc.

1 Like

A gallon of butane weighs approximately 4.75#.

Lets say 50# of solvent, so that’s about 10 gallons.

10/35= ~.28gal/min

2 Likes

@AutomationGuy

I think this question is tricky because people are performing CRC in-line with their extractions. Most people probably want a slower flow rate that 1gal/min to do their cannabinoid strip.

If you already had a solution, I believe those flow rates would be achievable with a nitrogen assist. I have had my filter column bein pushes at 100PSI and I see 0 flow restriction.

1 Like