Coffee Thread

I’m definitely gonna try the Nicaraguan blend.

Nicaraguan is really good, Mexico is my favorite right now.

Love it when people add an x to espresso

Lol

8 Likes

Fixle pixle doesn’t look right
I’m going to mix up coffee and water, and put it in the centrifuge tubez

1 Like

Has anyone here used a manual espresso setup? I just got one from Flair Espresso and it is honestly so fun. I’m not a trained barista but have been a coffee nerd for a long time and it was surprisingly easy to get a good shot. First 2 sucked, third had decent crema and by the tenth even my barista friends were impressed. Lots of parallels to cannabis extraction for sure. Reading the above definitely has me thinking of a way to rig my friends roaster to do a nitrogen backflow during the roast to see if there’s any difference in end result.

On that note has anyone ever tried adding a tiny amount of ethanol to their water to see if it changes the extraction? Lots of things I want to try in the future.

Here’s a link to how the Flair system works, there’s a few other manual options out there, I just chose this one because a friend of a friend was selling his to make room for his Rocket Appartamento

3 Likes

That ethanol addition is an idea. i know people who experimented with slow-drip, room temp brewing with various boozes (vodka, whiskey) but i was never wowed by the results. that’s just one person’s experimenting though, lots more could be explored there.

I would think maybe it’d be more effective for a cold brew than hot, coffee brewing often being just under the boiling point of water means the ethanol doesn’t stick around for long.
however, if it stuck around just long enough to contribute to the the extraction, then evaporated as the finished brew sat for ~1minute, that’d actually be ideal, as i personally would not want the ethanol in the finished brew

1 Like

Cafe bustelo, pilon and la llave are all you need. Cheap, but it’s cafe cubano so ya tu sabes, chico.

1 Like

For the coffee lovers out there we have these for sale now.

5 Likes

How do we brew coffee like in breaking bad though??

Photon gave me one of those, and it makes a damn good cup of coffee. I’m hard pressed to call it espresso, but it’s one of thee nicest pours I get at my house. Usually only use it on the weekends, though, as it’s a bit too involved for my work-day mornings.

1 Like

You need an inlet and outlet on that jacket to make a bowl to enjoy with your coffee…

I was thinking the same thing but for hooking up to a heated circulator😂

Or a chiller in the summer

1 Like

Yeah I was thinking more of add a little bit of ethanol to water like maybe a 10:1 ratio to see if you pull out a different flavor profile. Would be interesting in lower end espresso machines and lever or manual machines too because you could maybe negate some of the temperature control issues on those if the ethanol could make up for that by being effective solvent. Though no idea if that is at all the case or feasible. I will however fuck around and find out with my Flair and probably put the results here in case anyone else cares.

1 Like

Nice! I see what you mean about not calling it espresso but I also wouldn’t call it coffee either. I’m currently getting good results hitting closer to 10 bar and 205 degree water though. Like all espresso and coffee getting a better electric grinder has made a world of a difference for me.

4 Likes
8 Likes

love everything but the price tag…

1 Like

On which one?

The $289 one

:joy: im all x’d

Maybe start here: Breaking Bad Coffee Maker

(No, there ARE no new questions. If you can’t find the answer you’re clearly asking incorrectly :wink:)

1 Like