Coffee Thread

Get a kettle with a gauge it’ll change your life.

2 Likes

I use my v60 to filter my french press if I want to go a Finer grind.

3 Likes

wait does that mean you brew with a finer grind in a french press, then pour it through a V60? interesting. so like french press-fullness of flavor, but cleaned up of the oils and particulate is the idea?

5 Likes

Yes that’s exactly what I do and it’s amazing. Although, recently I was pointed to something called the Hario Switch which is a v60 that literally does the immersion. So it does what I do just no agitation like the French Press.

2 Likes

dope, i’ve seen hybrid pourovers like that but wasn’t aware Hario had made one.
you consider the french press agitated? i could see the plunge press counting as that but otherwise those grounds are just chillin.
also gotta shoutout the Chemex. finer grind than a french press, and it’s got thicker grade filter paper, so takes a bit longer than the V60, which makes for extended steeping in the cone due to the longer drain time–all in all pretty close to your method. and cleannn flavor boi, damn

i would nerd out on bean cultivars and origins and processing methods and full city roasts but i feel like that’s getting even further off the topic of the thread and there’s quite enough of that these days

2 Likes

Well that’s one of the what some people do is they stir the coffee grounds into the water until they see it foam (so not even 5 seconds) and then they set the plunger on top of the coffee and wait 4 mins before pressing (though that’s the amount of time for the coarse grind immersion time in a French Press).

@sidco can you dump all the posts about coffee to Coffee Thread so we don’t clog up this thread

2 Likes

2-3 quads of espresso a day at least with this bad boy. Usually cinnamon latte with some brown sugar and maple syrup.

I make damn good coffee.

13 Likes

Have you ever had fermented coffee beans? Its pretty good, that bitterness is almost non existent in the beans after fermentation.

2 Likes

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:Oh?

Anyone tried the reverse boof? Kopi Luwak?

3 Likes

Sounds like you make liquid candy, not coffee!

could you clarify what you mean by fermented beans? ie, were they advertised as such, is there a link to a product you could provide?
i ask because it could be argued that all coffee beans are fermented. beans are processed after harvest through a wet processing method or a dry processing method, or a hybrid. in the wet method, beans are semi-fermented in a vat of water, in dry method the fruit is dried on the outside of the beans before removal and fermentation happens within that dried fruit. so i’m wondering, is it different from either one of these methods, or a reference to one of them?

I’m not sure what it was called, but I’ll ask my buddy.

1 Like

Got one for last Xmas, temp is the only variable I haven’t really messed with much, though.

My friend has made a little spin-off from his yeast lab company, I’d love to hear what you other coffee heads think of it. Check it out if you’re inclined.

https://www.instagram.com/way_of_the_warrior_coffee/

3 Likes

ohhh thats mad interesting, beans inoculated with the same yeast strain used to inoculate rice for Koji rice. I’d be very interested to try, and i’m wondering as to the process, green beans are crazy dense and rock-hard, though i guess it could be as simple as soaking in inoculated water.

they do Robusto blends too, which is interesting, Coffea robusto is only really consumed in SE Asia, and it’s CRAZY bitter and acrid, with a higher caffeine content, partly why coffee preps from that area involve drenching in condensed milk and sugar. the one time i tried Robusto it was bitter AF and unpalatable but I know modern roasters are experimenting with it.
Coffea arabica is widely considered the ‘better’ bean, and most of what you’ll find in the states.

1 Like

I’m not sure how he approaches the koji inoculation, but I could certainly ask for you. This guy is way more of a scientist than I could ever be. Very passionate and predominantly self-taught. If you like fermenting stuff with unique bugs and bacteria, check out his brand Mainiacal Yeast Lab. I’ve used some of his Saccharomyces, Lactos, and Kveik strains.
He’s working on opening a brewery with another farmer/brewer friend of ours called Sidereal Farm Brewery, we did some collabs when I was in the beer industry. They’re also going to have a food component that’s focused on open flame and fermented foods. They are already doing pop-ups and collabs with other breweries in New England while they’re building out. The restaurant component is called Maillard Kitchen.

3 Likes

So I guess he didn’t buy a coffee that was pre fermented he did it himself, roasted the beans himself too.

He sent me the paper (655.1 KB) he based the his fermentation process on and also said he roasted the beans under high pressure nitrogen.

3 Likes

@NicksPicks fucking COOL, thank you. if you happen to ask him I’d love to know his approach. definitely following on insta now and checking out his yeast thang.
@Franklin also fucking cool, thanks for posting the paper. roasting under pressure w/nitrogen, now that is some new shit to me, I’d love to know how he achieves that

2 Likes