Coffee Thread

Here is a recipe I found on the green coffee drink. No sugar. Maybe they just have a high tolerance for very bitter things. Tea preparations in that region often involve boiling the leaves for extended periods which also produces a very (to my taste) bitter brew.

Qahwa | Arabic Coffee Recipe by Archana's Kitchen.

1 Like

That would be sick!

1 Like

Most people donā€™t realize that the darker the bean, the less caffeine. The roasting process degrades the phytos. So while espressos are made from dark roasts itā€™s the steam and pressure that makes a more efficient extraction, but the lighter the roast the more total caffeine youā€™ll pull.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been running a lighter roast through my machine and havenā€™t really seen any downside. Still gives a very full flavor with the additional caffeine content

1 Like

Just like with dabs, the entourage is an important part of the experience.

1 Like

I will take any input. :octopus:

I love Sumatra Mandheling. The yirgacheffes kick ass too.

My go to generic though is Lavazza dā€™oro or red.

2 Likes

@sidco @Future can you add Coffee/Caffeine to the Categories? :octopus: I think it would be beneficial.

1 Like

Think geek used to sell caffeinated body soap.

1 Like

if done right lighter roasts make the best espresso in the world, in my opinion. lighter roasts exhibit more of the natural flavors of the bean, as one roasts darker these nuances are replaced more and more with flavors that come from the roasting process itselfā€“carbohydrates breaking down into simple sugars, then carmelizing (medium or ā€˜viennaā€™ roast) then carbonizing (dark or ā€˜frenchā€™ roast) basically ending as charcoal (ā€˜italian roastā€™). so, espresso being a super-concentrate, those natural flavors in balance will light up oneā€™s tongue. itā€™s tougher to get balance/no bitterness in comparison to darker roasts but when done right i consider light roast espresso the ā€˜live res/sauceā€™ of the coffee world. super-concentrated, sweet profile of that beanā€™s unique cultivar, terroir, roast, etc.

3 Likes

does caffeine work topically?? er, in soap, anyway? like was the benefit for skin or for a buzz? i know itā€™s become popular in the skin care industry, i use a 5% caffeine solution under my eyes to get rid of bags in the morning (it works really well)

1 Like

I gotta knowā€¦whoā€™s had the mongoose shit coffeeā€¦where the mongoose eats the coffee bean and canā€™t digest it , his stomach acids break down the bitter flavor someā€¦he shits it out then some guy comes behind digging through the shit. Gathers the beans ,cleans the poo off Iā€™m sure then sells them for super expensive! Mongoose SHIT coffee you gotta be a serious coffee nut lmao no pun intended

I love the AeroPress in that it was a tool put out on the market from which, if you followed the directions, made kind of horrible stuff.
then a bunch of nerds took it and played around with variables and methods outside of the manual and managed to make amazing brews and broke new ground in the art of brewing. now thereā€™s competitions and shit, on a whole other level with its own following, itā€™s so cool

1 Like

kopi luwak! thanks, Bucket List.
not to correct but itā€™s an Asian Palm Civet, which are very fucking cool animals and i suggest looking them up. a spotted mongoose/cat/thing, really gorgeous.
the thinking is that they only eat the ripest beans, and yeah then pass it through their digestive tract, which semi-ferments it and somewhat replicates normal processing. and apparently adds or removes flavors for a unique experience. i would try it in a second if i knew the source was good. even for $50 a cup, at least i could say i did!
iā€™ve met literally one person whoā€™s tried it and they said itā€™s nothing to write home about. not a big surprise, especially given the fact that now, because of that fetching price, people keep the animals in cages and feed them whatever beans, ripe, less than ripe, etc.
capitalism ruins everything.

iā€™ma stop drowning this thread for a day, thank you for listening to my TED talk yā€™all

1 Like

First cup of coffee of 2022 today, absolute instant euphoria. 2 months off after 12 years of everyday use, caffeine is a hell of a drug.

3 Likes

A cup of coffee every morning really saved my life!
Addicted to hand brewed coffee and love to feel the different flavors with controlled variables.
BTW, does anyone like LaEsmeralda Gesha?

1 Like

So glad someone else has heard of it alsoā€¦I watched a documentary about finding the coffee holy grail beans sourced around one episode had that in it I was like WTF sounds like something Iā€™d try to say I did

Like Kobe beef ā€¦I gotta have a real Kobe ribeye or new York strip one day!!!

2 Likes

Transdermal is usually a shit method for uptake in the absence of dmso or some other means to cross the dermis.

1 Like

For my coffee at home Iā€™ve been exclusively using my V60. Love how simple and effective it is.

1 Like

bingo <3 thanks for that link.
i remember walking up to my first cls, got 10mins into training and was like waitā€¦so youā€™re saying we load the stuff into a steel chamber, then run solvent through it at pressure to get a concentrate. shit i got this lol

luckily for me (us, the world etc) for the last 15ish years ā€˜specialtyā€™ coffee has taken on a continually scientific approach, from sourcing and roasting all the way to preparation, and espresso machines have innovated along with them. if you can get past a snooty barista or two there are worlds of flavor to experience in whatā€™s historically been a utilitarian caffeine delivery system.

if i may nerd out: when i left that industry 6 years ago we were loading grounds in to tenth-of-a-gram precision, using trial and error to dial in all the variables: perfect grind fineness, weight, water temp control, programmed pressure curves for pre-saturation then ramped to full pressure and then down, weighing the shot to the tenth of a gram. taste, analyze, tweak a variable, repeat. iā€™m very grateful for that, it was a blast and i could not have had a better jumping off point for starting in cannabis extraction.

the parallels to this industry are numerous. dozens of continually hybridized and mutated varietals from around the world, effects of terroir and climate, dozens of different extraction approaches to give you dozens of possible end products.
coffee has 800+ possible flavor and aromatic compounds to offer, where wine, with its reputation of nuance and complexity, only has 200. imo only cannabis can compete with it for flavor/aromatic complexity from a single plant source. iā€™m a very lucky person to have spent the majority of my work as an adult in exploring new possibilities in two products that i consume every day and make my life so much better.

7 Likes