Coffee Thread

kopi luwak! thanks, Bucket List.
not to correct but it’s an Asian Palm Civet, which are very fucking cool animals and i suggest looking them up. a spotted mongoose/cat/thing, really gorgeous.
the thinking is that they only eat the ripest beans, and yeah then pass it through their digestive tract, which semi-ferments it and somewhat replicates normal processing. and apparently adds or removes flavors for a unique experience. i would try it in a second if i knew the source was good. even for $50 a cup, at least i could say i did!
i’ve met literally one person who’s tried it and they said it’s nothing to write home about. not a big surprise, especially given the fact that now, because of that fetching price, people keep the animals in cages and feed them whatever beans, ripe, less than ripe, etc.
capitalism ruins everything.

i’ma stop drowning this thread for a day, thank you for listening to my TED talk y’all

1 Like

First cup of coffee of 2022 today, absolute instant euphoria. 2 months off after 12 years of everyday use, caffeine is a hell of a drug.

3 Likes

A cup of coffee every morning really saved my life!
Addicted to hand brewed coffee and love to feel the different flavors with controlled variables.
BTW, does anyone like LaEsmeralda Gesha?

1 Like

So glad someone else has heard of it also…I watched a documentary about finding the coffee holy grail beans sourced around one episode had that in it I was like WTF sounds like something I’d try to say I did

Like Kobe beef …I gotta have a real Kobe ribeye or new York strip one day!!!

2 Likes

Transdermal is usually a shit method for uptake in the absence of dmso or some other means to cross the dermis.

1 Like

For my coffee at home I’ve been exclusively using my V60. Love how simple and effective it is.

1 Like

bingo <3 thanks for that link.
i remember walking up to my first cls, got 10mins into training and was like wait…so you’re saying we load the stuff into a steel chamber, then run solvent through it at pressure to get a concentrate. shit i got this lol

luckily for me (us, the world etc) for the last 15ish years ‘specialty’ coffee has taken on a continually scientific approach, from sourcing and roasting all the way to preparation, and espresso machines have innovated along with them. if you can get past a snooty barista or two there are worlds of flavor to experience in what’s historically been a utilitarian caffeine delivery system.

if i may nerd out: when i left that industry 6 years ago we were loading grounds in to tenth-of-a-gram precision, using trial and error to dial in all the variables: perfect grind fineness, weight, water temp control, programmed pressure curves for pre-saturation then ramped to full pressure and then down, weighing the shot to the tenth of a gram. taste, analyze, tweak a variable, repeat. i’m very grateful for that, it was a blast and i could not have had a better jumping off point for starting in cannabis extraction.

the parallels to this industry are numerous. dozens of continually hybridized and mutated varietals from around the world, effects of terroir and climate, dozens of different extraction approaches to give you dozens of possible end products.
coffee has 800+ possible flavor and aromatic compounds to offer, where wine, with its reputation of nuance and complexity, only has 200. imo only cannabis can compete with it for flavor/aromatic complexity from a single plant source. i’m a very lucky person to have spent the majority of my work as an adult in exploring new possibilities in two products that i consume every day and make my life so much better.

7 Likes

Get a kettle with a gauge it’ll change your life.

2 Likes

I use my v60 to filter my french press if I want to go a Finer grind.

3 Likes

wait does that mean you brew with a finer grind in a french press, then pour it through a V60? interesting. so like french press-fullness of flavor, but cleaned up of the oils and particulate is the idea?

5 Likes

Yes that’s exactly what I do and it’s amazing. Although, recently I was pointed to something called the Hario Switch which is a v60 that literally does the immersion. So it does what I do just no agitation like the French Press.

2 Likes

dope, i’ve seen hybrid pourovers like that but wasn’t aware Hario had made one.
you consider the french press agitated? i could see the plunge press counting as that but otherwise those grounds are just chillin.
also gotta shoutout the Chemex. finer grind than a french press, and it’s got thicker grade filter paper, so takes a bit longer than the V60, which makes for extended steeping in the cone due to the longer drain time–all in all pretty close to your method. and cleannn flavor boi, damn

i would nerd out on bean cultivars and origins and processing methods and full city roasts but i feel like that’s getting even further off the topic of the thread and there’s quite enough of that these days

2 Likes

Well that’s one of the what some people do is they stir the coffee grounds into the water until they see it foam (so not even 5 seconds) and then they set the plunger on top of the coffee and wait 4 mins before pressing (though that’s the amount of time for the coarse grind immersion time in a French Press).

@sidco can you dump all the posts about coffee to Coffee Thread so we don’t clog up this thread

2 Likes

2-3 quads of espresso a day at least with this bad boy. Usually cinnamon latte with some brown sugar and maple syrup.

I make damn good coffee.

13 Likes

Have you ever had fermented coffee beans? Its pretty good, that bitterness is almost non existent in the beans after fermentation.

2 Likes

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:Oh?

Anyone tried the reverse boof? Kopi Luwak?

3 Likes

Sounds like you make liquid candy, not coffee!

could you clarify what you mean by fermented beans? ie, were they advertised as such, is there a link to a product you could provide?
i ask because it could be argued that all coffee beans are fermented. beans are processed after harvest through a wet processing method or a dry processing method, or a hybrid. in the wet method, beans are semi-fermented in a vat of water, in dry method the fruit is dried on the outside of the beans before removal and fermentation happens within that dried fruit. so i’m wondering, is it different from either one of these methods, or a reference to one of them?