CO2 Terps (or just terps in general)

yes, they get filtered after separating the hydrosol out. No distillation. Grassy terps sounds like a material issue.

2 Likes

Separation parameters were between 575 and 650 psi, all at 27 C, although I hear people always running into the dry ice issue which can be addressed with increase the separation temp to 45C.

Did not have any mods on the IES. The hydraulic pump with an accumulator built in made the operation very hands off and ran smoothly.

I havent used an Apex before but from what I’ve read, they are pretty close in design and product outcome to the IES. IES just happens to come in small scale (10lb runs) to industrial scale (100lb).

I’ll have to take a look at the MRX. Lots of individuals here with CO2 capabilities have taken the same route as you with self modified or completely custom built machines.

2 Likes

I believe a lot of

of terps are usually because of the biomass source, hemp derived terps.

If you have a clean fraction of terps and hydrosol, all you need is a separator funnel. Otherwise, steam distillation will help clean in up without using a solvent. Terps are one of those things that shouldn’t ever touch a solvent due to their similar boiling points and solvency.

3 Likes

Some Purple Yeti from this week.

7 Likes

Gelato 41 terps

12 Likes

Does anyone posting pics here have analytical data regarding the composition and concentration of these terpene extracts?

Any data from extracts derived from varying bulk extraction methods/solvent systems such as light hydrocarbon extracts versus supercritical carbon dioxide?

3 Likes

Steam distilled? Or hte and/or co2 terps distilled?

1 Like

Venom OG terps

13 Likes

6 Likes

What type of sample and extraction method?

The refinement was done by @drjackhughes and I believe this was originally CO2 extracted on an IES

4 Likes

How long do you run this for at these params?

Very much dependent on the quality of the material as well as amount you are running. If you are doing say 10 pounds of bud, I would run this for about 90 minutes using a 10L IES with a flow rate of 1.5kg/min. But If it was 10 pounds of trim, I wouldn’t run it past 45 minutes.

We are at 18 minute runs for our terpene fractions on our Dual 20L Hydraulic IES. They come out pretty clear with minimal wax. We centrifuge out everything anyways at the end to get them ready for use.

4 Likes

Ooh I bet they look good, I believe your system is a 4.2 kg/min flow rate if I am not mistaken. Would love to see that thing in action! Upload some pics!!!

1 Like

These are some of the batches from awhile ago. These were on the Dual 10L Hydraulic we had until swapping. I’ll have to go into the fridge and get some new ones with the updated parameters I have them running. I would like them more yellow color but its tough to get the real fresh material from cultivation :wink:

4 Likes

Not to hijack the thread, just to through it out there for anyone that might be interested. If you are looking to collect terps during decarb, reduce odor, speed up drying times and get your material dryer hit us up.www.scientific710.com

4 Likes

I had a buddy with a few pounds of nicely smelling outdoor flower that he couldnt sell, so he wanted me to make it into distillate, I thought it would be a shame to waste the great terps on it, so I ground it all up and put it into the vacuum oven for an hour at 160F. I pulled a semi deep vac, and ran it through a -80C cold trap. I was able to pull a few hundred mills of water terp mix, which went directly into the sep funnel. The water was drained off, and the water clear terp layer was placed into a 40ml vial with a few grams of molecular sieves. Works perfect for carts. It smells amazing, just like the strain it came from (forbidden fruit). The yield was ~80mls of amazing terps from ~7lbs of flower.

Just for fun, I took all the leftover smelly water, and extracted it with pentane. The pentane was purged, and an additional few mls of an interesting smelling terp fraction was obtained and set aside.

When I used to have a large abundance of crude poopy hemp CO2 terp fraction around, I played around with fractional vacuum distillation and was able to obtain some half decent water clear terps. Makes you realize when it comes to terps, its hard to polish a turd. And the starting profile matters the most. Can’t pull the gold out if its never there in the first place.

Edit: On second thought, there may be gold hiding in poop terps. Technically if you had a targeted profile and knew which compounds in particular you wanted, you could do chromatography on poopy terps and isolate the targeted ones out of the mix to recombine and form a pleasant smelling mix.

10 Likes

What are your parameters if you don’t mind asking? I have one of those.

1 Like

“Nectanyl”? new one to me. I cant find the structure of it with a simple google - do you happen to have more info on that component? Closest I find “nectaryl” which is a synthetic flav/frag ingredient.