Co2 Terepene Cleanup SOP

Pictures would help. If you have dark fractions, then it would be harder to see. It kinda looks like spit in water, it looks sorta hazy and moves like its sorta floating in water(terps). The orange bit you say could be raw cannabinoids if the pressures were off. More than likely your buddies pressure was too high and pulled something extra with the terps.

2 Likes

When I was doing this stuff I worked with a license in California that cleaned up crude terpene fractions from supercritical co2 runs. The way they did it was basically using a small bench scale centrifgue and norit (activated carbon). I think they were using about 5% norit per mass of terpene fraction added to centrifuge tube. Run a high RPM cycle for 20-30 minutes. The waxes and carbon settle to the bottom and you can decant the supernatant. The color and claritty was improved and you didnt need any heat.

6 Likes

Your guy that gave you the terps needs to learn how to run a co2 machine properly. They are fully capable of removing the waxes prior to the terps. We are using terps straight out of our machine in MS in vape carts.

4 Likes

ā€¦thatā€™s why they were freebies.

2 Likes

Pics?

What type of machine ?

Running parameters?

Anything else I can tell him?

1 Like

How to use the search function?

:shushing_face:

May be usefulā€¦my recollection is there are at least a couple more.

Edit: just so theyā€™re cross-linked Refining and Purifying CO2 Terpenes

3 Likes

Any specs on these bad boys @d8mademegay ?

ā€¦and more importantly from a vacuum distillation standpoint, their vapor pressures are considerably lower than those of your targets ( @d8mademegay)

(Just like they are when distilling BHO HTEā€¦)

?!? Canā€™t tell who that one is aimed at?

3 Likes

Iā€™m getting some more jars of co2 terps from my buddy and it seems to be a regular thing so Iā€™m going to grab one of these baby short paths for terps

Should I go with the @AlexSiegel kit or the one from @goldleaf_scientific

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

1 Like

Neither. Thereā€™s way better stuff out there.

I got this recently and Iā€™ve never been happier. If you have mantles, itā€™s alot less! I get higher terp yields and able to capture more of the finer aromatics. Anything else on market tends to have considerable blow by past the collection and trap.

I got mine on sale, and wonā€™t ever use anything else from my steam terps or pour off terps.

Forgot to mention, they sent me a detailed terpene sop that exceptionally outperformed anything Iā€™ve seen. Most people apply short path sops where as summit has a sop just for terps that has so much information itā€™s overwhelming. Iā€™m pulling 99.5 to 99.9 percent of my terps regularly. Nothing in traps unlike the repurposed short paths or unsellable surplus people are pushing. Donā€™t get bamboozled. This kit is the bees knees for terps. The the step forward instead of the leap backwards.

I maybe lost 2-3mL to the cold traps, idk what youā€™re talking about

2 Likes

If you ask me, any system with that much over engineered glass to do something as simple as condense terpenes is not designed properly. The user ends up having to pick up the slack until the glassware is either broken or tabled for something better.

@d8mademegay I would stay far away from the Summit headache. Your wallet, daily work flow, and the quality of your products will thank you. Simplicity goes a long way.

7 Likes

Hi Alex, I have regularly been extracting terps for years. I have used just about every glass part on the market. Never broke glass ever, unlike some people in labs I donā€™t consume product and develop butter fingers and drop glass. Is that something you struggle with?

Iā€™m not going to sit here and take advice from a poser struggling to get rid of unwanted parts.
Iā€™m not going to sit here and take advice from a Wana be making statements that arenā€™t even remotely true about glass setups.

@d8mademegay please take a moment to look at the offerings and make good judgement calls. I would not trust anyone who calls themselves a professional or skilled, and then demonstrates a short path kit with a dual vane vacuum pump (garbage one to be clear) on a attempted failure of a terpene distiller. As well when you see product offerings with zero temperature control, basic cold traps that do not trap fine volatile aromatics, and vacuum gauges that donā€™t even give off accurate readings in the ranges you want to work with, you can assured someone is trying to lie to you and bamboozle you. When it comes to gl, you should pay close attention to the surplus and unsellable glass parts that were retorched into whatever you can imagine that nonsense to be. Terpenes are to be extracted with exquisitely fine vacuum control, accurate heat management and multiple different temperature controlled zones as well as the correct and appropriate vacuum control systems and pumps. If the sellers donā€™t have the ability to use the correct hardware or pumps themselves then you can be assured you are talking to the wrong sellers.

I hate to break it to you but these yahoos running around showing you bunk ass setups are just that. Bunk. Things they canā€™t sell, about to offload it on you. They will lie up and down the block about the process and then youā€™ll realize most of your terps arenā€™t being handled properly and blown by the trap into vacuum pump or just burned up from excess heat.

I used a spd systems untill I saw two terp companies I was visiting using the spd7 and was blown away. Donā€™t trust anyone who accuses modern distillation technology as a complex over engineered product.

Thereā€™s a reason why the largest terps companies and small boutique companies use summits spd7. I found out the hard way untill I got mine.

5 Likes

Almost sounds like you are summit

9 Likes

IMG_7626

And call me connor

7 Likes

The only person trying to lie and bamboozle here is you, ā€œConnerā€

@d8mademegay Elliot has, for a long time, been a salesperson and not a scientist. All roads will always lead back to paying a premium at Summit for subpar information and gear.

The gauge I sell, the pump I recommend, and the mantle I use all provide the same function or better than the ones offered at Summit.

4 Likes

Youd definitely need another cold trap or ln2 with that kind of vacuum level.

1 Like

I have ln2

@d8mademegay Ln2 should be fine in the steel traps. Youā€™ll be able to isolate the super cold trap with valves to prevent any water from freezing into the trap.

Iā€™m sure these setups will hold as low as kf systems are normally rated. @Roguelab

1 Like