Co2 Terepene Cleanup SOP

My friend gave me several liters of raw co2 terpenes from some material he ran but had no use for.

I have no experience with these, just BHO HTE terps.

These are light orange soupy extracts with a bit of water in them. Pretty thick vicosity.

I did an extensive ammount of searcching and could find nothing about how to refine these into the stuff i see pics of that are nice and watery and yellow so i could mix them into some carts. I decided to make account and ask, hopefully im not breaking any rules by asking this.

Thanks in advance.

6 Likes

Couple people have set ups for this

@goldleaf_scientific @AlexSiegel

5 Likes

Happy to help. You just need a vacuum distillation system and a starter method to get going.

You can build one super cheap with Amazon glass but I do sell a nicer setup with some custom parts. It’s a turnkey kit and isn’t exactly cheap but it is priced competitively. DM if you’d be interested in pricing

Your terpenes go into the boiling flask and water clear terpenes are collected into the receiving flask. Systems come with a starter method to get you distilling terps from day 1

7 Likes

Am I also going to need to cold filter these at some micron through a Buchner before this step or does the waxes just stay put in the boiling flask?

Thank you very much.

Please send me a message with pricing and a purchase link.

1 Like

Can you explain what the device @AlexSiegel pointed you at is doing?

What can you tell us about your target compounds?

https://future4200.com/uploads/short-url/1t7zXcSwAyuYxWSbtzJWE2y101s.pdf

What about the non-target compounds?

6 Likes

Are you asking me to explain to you what a machine I don’t make does after i stated my ignorance on the subject in the original post?

I think it distills the terps?!?!

1 Like

Absolutely.

encouraging you to think about the problem is the wrong approach?

Yep.

You saying that question was too hard?
Or too easy?!?

…now that you understand the trick is “distilling terps” can you find more detailed information your initial searches missed?!?

Or should you just buy the thing?!?

Go a smidge deeper…

What’s the pump for?
Why are vapor pressures relevant?

What is the minimum setup required to TRY this?

See Eg: How much more can I get for refining terpenes vs selling it as HTE?

8 Likes

What temp do you get sesquiterpenes at assuming your vacuum is <millitorr?

1 Like

Welcome to the future @d8mademegay!

I just saw this system running over the weekend, and I love the stainless fittings and simplicity. Very unique offering that is very well suited to distilling terps. Alex is amazing at breaking down the process so a beginner can fully understand how to effectively operate his equipment. Highly recommended!

5 Likes

So baby spd under terp parameters and that’s it?

That’s the same for hte terps. Don’t know why my brain thought it would be different.

Thank you for all the help. I’m going to follow up with @AlexSiegel although a gentleman in my dms named @Lightbulb had some votes of non confidence and tried to sway me towards a summit spd.

5 Likes

Summit makes super high quality SPDs specifically designed for this. He isn’t wrong. I didn’t know who to tag for summit though. Summit has way more features and ancillary equipment.

2 Likes

Do they look like they have any waxes in them? If not you can just pipette out the water droplets and use the terps as is unless you need to get the thc out. We estimate 1-3% thc in our CO2 terps. Edit: shouldve read first. Good luck.

2 Likes

Your system runs on 2 stage rotaryvane it seems ever tried running it on diffusion? Does it hold vac?

1 Like

Pretty much…

Target molecules are the same…

3 Likes

Good grief really !!
O boy desperate times call for desperate messsures I guess

4 Likes

First fraction is mostly monoterpenes which smell great but aren’t exactly like the original. Second fraction is the sesquiterpenes which smell ok. First and second fraction are mixed at a golden ratio to return to the original scent before any distillation took place. Last fraction is junk between the cannabioids. This is also where decarb takes place so you can carry on to the cannabinoid fraction or take it to the wiped film.

3 Likes

We do have a setup specifically for this process. It is pretty expensive compared to a small SPD setup. Let me know if you have any questions or interest.
We created a design for a small and simpler setup (~2k), but never produced it as the market has been very weak. If people show us some interest that might change but I’ve been pretty pessimistic lately on the long term prospects of the cannabis industry.

9 Likes

Yep :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

You should never be touching decarboxylation or cannabinoid processes when extracting terpenes of any nature unless the system is extremely inefficient and or not opperating properly. You should be able to pull between 3-6 temp ranges without a hickup. However judging by the convoluted setup you posted that people were trying to experiment with in 2018 might be the alerting reason to why you are pulling decarb or cannabinoid compounds during your distillation.

1 Like

what do waxes look like in this stuff?

ill post some pics.

Also how do i carefully remove these from jars, im assuming the hotass vac oven i use for crude may not be great lol

spatula and elbow grease?