CLS for running DME w/ vapor pressure assist

If you can change to 3/8 or 1/2 inch recovery that would speed recovery
I glanced at the machine and it looks like one of the ball valves was reduced, if so, just get bigger ball valves and hoses.
And I like the sight glasses in the hose! That’s nice

2 Likes

Are your threads taped? Stupid question probably, but almost looks like they aren’t…,

5 Likes

Really cool to see that bvv stocks tanks of dme now.

2 Likes

Next step, chloroform

2 Likes

I open blasted a few cans of DME over the summer and was really impressed with quality and yield. Smell was off the charts and yield has been 32-36% every run. I was using selections that were made for hash yield, but that’s still a good yield.

I also like that it’s not a fossil fuel, sustainable solvents are appealing to me personally.

@_joe totally with you there, unfortunately the outlet ports on my collection base are only 1/4". After a few months of running this I plan on upgrading to a new base with 1/2" vapor ports. Just want to get some data graphed so I can plan the step up.

@Pupparoo you are correct on the thread tape. I just have it set up so I can make sure I have all the right pieces. This is the first system I’ve built myself.

4 Likes

Since you’ve got the gas, would you mind testing something?

4 Likes

Totally get it now.

Good luck, will be watching and waiting to see end results.

Interested what your opinion of dme will be after running it a few times.

5 Likes

I don’t have any butane ATM, but I help a buddy run his (butane) system so I can get some spent material to run at home. Do you think it matters if I run it open instead of in the CLS? Might end up with a moderately high terpene extract, pretty pumped to try tbh!

@Pupparoo I’ve run DME open blast style since June, extracting ~65 grams every 20 days. I went from curious to curious-er, but I’m naturally attracted to solving new problems and figuring shit out.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize you were using dme as the solvent too. I think as a liquid solvent it’ll probably pick up whatever the vapor would have anyways.

I was only suggesting using the dme vapor to get 100% of the smell out of the material without worrying about extracting too much other shit that isn’t volatile to start coming out of the plant material.

I read in the other dme thread you said there was zero smell left in the material after extraction with dme right?

1 Like

U ask for what I see wrong…using dme , w couple small upgrades that may be done already u could use bho

2 Likes

Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference .

6 Likes

Ah, I understand now. I remember you mentioning the using DME vapor in the other thread. That sounds really cool, could probably get it done with a cheap 6" diameter bottom (like what the micro extractors use for solvent), a couple NPT ports on a lid and a cold trap to make condensate.

@StoneD and deprive myself the fun of figuring out a new tek? Don’t knock the DME until you get it right, and my market is ultra saturated with BHO/PHO. Literally nobody has said no (based on smell alone) when I offered some up, and that’s saying something.

5 Likes

Found a patent that used DME vapor for cannabis extraction.

2 Likes

I like all the stuff I just read about DME. Seems like the only relative issue is that the burned gas is super poisonous.

Relatively simple to make, is not a GHG, good boiling point and polarity for cannabinoids. Super interesting.

3 Likes

Would have to be purged to 0ppm to make for safe dabbing then?

I’m not so sure. Perhaps hot dabs would be bad, but not cold start. I believe the gas has to actually burn to be poisonous.

1 Like

Damn…

No more hot and hardies…

4 Likes

The reason the FDA recommends using DME for food extraction is because the ease of getting to 0 ppm. See GRAS notice numbers 741 & 695.

5 Likes

BP is -11F, pretty easy to purge if you like it like dat.

2 Likes

Where did you see stuff on the burned gas? I can’t find it anywhere, all I can find is research comparing the combustion byproducts to diesel and propane for internal combustion engines and it seems a lot cleaner than both of those.