CLS for running DME w/ vapor pressure assist

This is the CLS I designed to run DME. Every gasket is Tuf-Steel, since it has a better coefficient of thermal expansion than PTFE alone. DME is not compatible with Buna or Viton, it will eat both elastomers.

Here’s a collection of PDFs on elastomer compatibility with DME.

Imgur

This system is built from an Alphatek Hardware base and column. The alphatek system has dual (1/4") recovery lines, and one less clamped connection on the collection base to worry about failing. Solvent tank is a USA Lab 24lb H2O tank, which is improperly advertised might I add. Supposed to have a 1/2"FPT dip tube but it’s a 1/2"MPT dip tube.

If you see anything wrong with this setup, don’t hesitate to tell me. I haven’t run a solvent vapor assist before, so I could have messed up the design.

Basic procedural outline-

Vac solvent tank and lines.

Fill solvent tank from storage tank.

Move output on storage tank to column cross &vac vapor pressure line.

Open solvent tank dip tube valve and allow solvent to flow into column.

Close solvent tank valve, then column bottom valve.

Open storage tank valve, allow vapor pressure line to pressurize then open column top valve.

Allow ~100 grams of solvent gas to escape into column, close storage tank valve/column top valve, open column bottom valve for final collection.

Begin recovery.

3 Likes

Why are you wanting to use dme for this purpose? Why not propane?

2 Likes

If you can change to 3/8 or 1/2 inch recovery that would speed recovery
I glanced at the machine and it looks like one of the ball valves was reduced, if so, just get bigger ball valves and hoses.
And I like the sight glasses in the hose! That’s nice

2 Likes

Are your threads taped? Stupid question probably, but almost looks like they aren’t…,

5 Likes

Really cool to see that bvv stocks tanks of dme now.

2 Likes

Next step, chloroform

2 Likes

I open blasted a few cans of DME over the summer and was really impressed with quality and yield. Smell was off the charts and yield has been 32-36% every run. I was using selections that were made for hash yield, but that’s still a good yield.

I also like that it’s not a fossil fuel, sustainable solvents are appealing to me personally.

@_joe totally with you there, unfortunately the outlet ports on my collection base are only 1/4". After a few months of running this I plan on upgrading to a new base with 1/2" vapor ports. Just want to get some data graphed so I can plan the step up.

@Pupparoo you are correct on the thread tape. I just have it set up so I can make sure I have all the right pieces. This is the first system I’ve built myself.

4 Likes

Since you’ve got the gas, would you mind testing something?

4 Likes

Totally get it now.

Good luck, will be watching and waiting to see end results.

Interested what your opinion of dme will be after running it a few times.

5 Likes

I don’t have any butane ATM, but I help a buddy run his (butane) system so I can get some spent material to run at home. Do you think it matters if I run it open instead of in the CLS? Might end up with a moderately high terpene extract, pretty pumped to try tbh!

@Pupparoo I’ve run DME open blast style since June, extracting ~65 grams every 20 days. I went from curious to curious-er, but I’m naturally attracted to solving new problems and figuring shit out.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize you were using dme as the solvent too. I think as a liquid solvent it’ll probably pick up whatever the vapor would have anyways.

I was only suggesting using the dme vapor to get 100% of the smell out of the material without worrying about extracting too much other shit that isn’t volatile to start coming out of the plant material.

I read in the other dme thread you said there was zero smell left in the material after extraction with dme right?

1 Like

U ask for what I see wrong…using dme , w couple small upgrades that may be done already u could use bho

2 Likes

Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference .

6 Likes

Ah, I understand now. I remember you mentioning the using DME vapor in the other thread. That sounds really cool, could probably get it done with a cheap 6" diameter bottom (like what the micro extractors use for solvent), a couple NPT ports on a lid and a cold trap to make condensate.

@StoneD and deprive myself the fun of figuring out a new tek? Don’t knock the DME until you get it right, and my market is ultra saturated with BHO/PHO. Literally nobody has said no (based on smell alone) when I offered some up, and that’s saying something.

5 Likes

Found a patent that used DME vapor for cannabis extraction.

2 Likes

I like all the stuff I just read about DME. Seems like the only relative issue is that the burned gas is super poisonous.

Relatively simple to make, is not a GHG, good boiling point and polarity for cannabinoids. Super interesting.

3 Likes

Would have to be purged to 0ppm to make for safe dabbing then?

I’m not so sure. Perhaps hot dabs would be bad, but not cold start. I believe the gas has to actually burn to be poisonous.

1 Like

Damn…

No more hot and hardies…

4 Likes

The reason the FDA recommends using DME for food extraction is because the ease of getting to 0 ppm. See GRAS notice numbers 741 & 695.

5 Likes