Cloudy slabs! Help!

What’s up guys! First post here on the awesome forum! I’ve been running my new 20lb closed looped for about a month now. I’m having issues with slabs coming out cloudy? They look fire when they’re at their glossing stage but as soon as they are out of the oven and sit they cloud up. I’ve gone over what I do from start to finish with some of my buddy’s that run a CLS and they all tell me I’m doing everything correctly. The only thing different that we do is we don’t have a chiller to chill our solvent (butane)? Anybody have any ideas of what can be going wrong?

2 Likes

Your probably pulling fats since your running room temp solvent and not fully dewaxing . You may also potentially be pulling media dissolve .5-1g of extract in warm ethanol or isopropyl and see if there is cloudiness . Then repeat at room temp . If there is sediment/cloudiness in the warm solution its media if its cloudiness in the room temp solution its fats waxes or lipids. Try winterizing or fully dewaxing and it should fix things

14 Likes

U need to add coil in dry ice slurry btw ur tank and collection Room temp solvent no need for bump itll have boost. That’ll help u loads

Prefreeze material before loading in column w dry ice also helps

4 Likes

Is it cloudy in your colection pot

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’m going to try that out today when I get to my shop. I’ll keep you posted :pray:t4:

Sometimes it will be cloudy and other times it’s clear but I think when it’s on the clear side it’s because there’s more solvent rather than material?

Cloudy collection usually means fats

5 Likes

So I got my chiller and it’s set at -10c. For some reason they’re still cloudy !?image|517x500

at least in the case of ethanol extraction -50C or less is desired to leave fats and waxes behind

i only get that outcome when i haven’t properly chilled my solvent. solvent lives in iso/di before extraction and even without a stall to dewax its still crystal clear in the end. when i run warm i get your kinda results. No guru here just giving you what i’ve found to be the results for me.

-10c is pretty warm, going to pull all kinds of crap at those temps

1 Like

That’s 14°f. Go subzero

Hey guys having the same issue here, I’m running super cold temps and usually haven’t had this issue, ive been seeing it more lately, could this possibly be the material being processed?

I’ve read through all sorts of mixed recommendations from using my Dewax column and not using it, what would you guys recommend?
I’m not currently using it at the moment.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

These types of problems always come up more on the forum when the weather starts getting warmer. I used to only run in the wintertime and never had a cloudy issue and once I started running in warmer weather I noticed the cloudiness come in. Long story short… inject COLD AS HELL. Keep your columns frozen. Shorten up soak times especially if your material is ground up super fine. If you’re material is ground up fine you’re more prone to catch all the shit that leads to cloudiness.

2 Likes

Help!! I’m having the same issue. Can’t get my slabs to come out glassy looking. They Matte out when sitting to cool. I’ve been heat treating my slabs but they finish up cloudy/ plastic looking.

Been very stressful and can’t seem to find a solution.

1 Like

Cold as balls injections of solvent and no to lil soak and good filtering if your jot gonna do an actual dewax.

5 Likes

You guys wanna try my D-Wax media? Just dm me where to send the sample. It’s a silica with 50% water and citric acid impregnated in it. Gets me the clarity i need in my slabs

16 Likes

Looks sweet! Were your ears burning this weekend? Your name and your products definitely came up during @Dred_pirate 's class. All good things :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I need to get sample this…

Although fixing ppls cloudy slabs seems to be really easy for me without any powders but a magic powder to help would be wonderful

Does it steal terp content?

I just got done helping a client w cloudy slabs on a 40lb cls

1 Like

Winterize biomass, get column/s cold as shit, put biomass in while frozen. If using dry ice, it’s a surface area war. Keep packing dry ice in sleeve until you can’t hammer any more in! Before and while running. The colder the solvent the less distance lipids and fats can travel.