Cloudy C02 Extracted Terpenes

Hey guys ! I’ve been purchasing CO2 extracted terpenes from a vendor and have been experiencing some cloudy product. We been working with this particular vendor for about 5 months now with no issues. Any way we can remediate the terpenes in house instead of sending them back to the lab. A friend mentioned a micron sift. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

2 Likes

1 Like

Have you tried freezing and filtering it? Like a pseudowinterization of sorts.

I’ve dissolved a jar of rosin in 99% d-Limonene in place of ethanol, froze it, filtered, and removed the Limonene (takes an eternity btw) and it was transparent afterwards. I did not test the composition of the impurities afterwards so I couldn’t tell you how much I lost for cannabinoids but it definitely removed a great deal of lipids/waxes. I do not know if it would work the same with a full spectrum of terpenes but it seems like the least invasive thing to do. I prefer to keep cannabis terpenes in the freezer anyway.

6 Likes

I’ve sent back 2 kilos for post processing and recommended a freeze and filtration method. They’ve started today and hope to get some results back. Could the C02 density be to high? Maybe crank back 20 - 50 PSI per run while increasing temp by 1F. Appreciate the response.

This isnexactly what it looked like when I got a CO2 terps pull from wet material. The terps smelled great but there was so much fats They were unusable
Did you get an analysis residuals because your pic looks like a lot of thca got fractioned with the terps

4 Likes

I sent out a sample for analysis a few days ago and I am expecting CoA’s by tomorrow. I have a few formulations made in carts and after a few days the components set right on top of the atomizer. Makes me lean towards THCa.

1 Like

water?

CoA’s came back. 27% Thca with a total cannabinoid content of 33%.

2 Likes

Definitely THCa! Large percentage in mixture.

1 Like

Quick update!!

Looks like we have had some minor success in letting the solution sit at room temp. for about 2 weeks. This allows the THCa to separate giving us an ample amount of usable fractions. Check out the photo!

5 Likes

[Uploading: 99D721B4-8487-4DB1-9C0

Using wet biomass would create a massive issue in the system. We run 5-12% moisture content.

What’s your opinion on the separation at room temp?

We plan on using a short path at a high vac and no heat for remediation to speed up the process.

I’ll be interested to hear how that goes

2 Likes

Co2 sauce, wow that’s pretty cool

2 Likes

Rather dark in concentration. I like tipping the jars In order to see the hue along the walls. These were achieved through natural separation over a period of a few months at 60-65F.

2 Likes

Maybe try spinning it down in a centrifuge? Just get one of those table top centrifuges that can spin 25-150ML test tubes. Any standard centrifuge for those sizes would probably work well. Just make sure to counterbalance your loads before spinning!

4 Likes

Appreciate the input! Waiting to see on short path remediation results. This would be a great alternative.

C02 Terpene extraction high in THCa concentration. Looking to experiment, worth time or toss?
Small sample size. We have about 200g worth.

1 Like