Clogging Issues with Jupiter CCELL Cartridges?

Hello all,

I spent several hours last night searching this forum for optimal Terpene + Distillate ratios and could not find definitive answers to my questions. Unfortunately, I do not have time to test & iterate to discover myself.

I’m producing vape cartridges in 3 different formulas, listed below:

Formula 1: 70.5% Delta-8 Distillate (80% strength), 15% CBN Isolate, 9.5% CBD Distillate (80% strength), and 5% Floraplex Cantaloupe Haze Terpene Blend

Formula 2: 70.5% Delta-8 Distillate (80% strength), 15% CBG Isolate, 9.5% CBD Distillate (80% strength), and 5% Floraplex Goji OG Terpene Blend

Formula 3: 95% Delta-8 Distillate (80% strength) and 5% Floraplex Blueberry AK Terpene Blend

My manufacturer is concerned about clogging issues with these formulas. He said he made test mixes and tried them in AVD cartridges, but had issues with clogging. He said he had to do something like 12% to 15% terpenes + dilutent to keep them from clogging.

For the final product, we are using Jupiter CCELL Hardware. Specifically the polycarbonate cartridges (M6T) and the disposables with glass reservoirs, all with 2.0mm apertures. We will also sell the CCELL M6 batteries (BUTTONLESS) under our brand, which many of our customers will use with the cartridges.

I really don’t want to use dilutent / liquifier, and I would rather not go over 5% botanical terps. Beyond health issues / harshness with terps, I’ve read that you shouldn’t go over 8% dilutent / terps with Jupiter’s polycarbonate cartridges because it can degrade the polycarbonate.

I suspect our formulas will be ok in the Jupiter CCELL hardware, assuming consumers use and care for our products properly. Based on my research, I’ve thought of some reasons my manufacturer may be having clogging issues…

• Maybe his AVD carts have 1.0mm apertures
  • Maybe he doesn’t cap quickly enough
  • Maybe the voltage on his battery is too low for the resistance on his carts (Jupiter M6 with Jupiter carts will produce 9W)
  • Maybe he is overfilling (doubt this)
  • Maybe his distillate is not winterized

Should we be ok with these formulas? Maybe bump terps up to 7% to be safe?

Jupiter’s polycarbonate cartridges are rated for viscosity of 1,000 cPa’s to 110,000. I wish I had a way to figure out the viscosity of my formulas, and know how it would change with temperature.

@lefties.cannabis uses genuine CCELL carts and I found most of my info from his posts on F4200. Cheers to you

Bonus Question: The Floraplex Goji OG blend has like 42% Limonene. Is that going to be super harsh for people at 5%?

2 Likes

We use avd 2.0mm and never have problems. If you do have clogging issue, you should immediately think it’s formula/oil. These cartridges are designed to be efficient, but it requires the right viscosity.

With that being said, the only option seems to bump your terpene % up. Or create a different formula.

1 Like

Makes sense. I just don’t know what could be wrong with these formulas.

2 Likes

CCELL’s work perfectly with 5% terps. They can handle more…but the highest I’d go is 10%.

5 Likes

That was my sense. Does the isolate in 2 of my formulas change things, though? I’m not sure how the isolates effect viscosity. I’m guessing they increase.

I would wager that has something to do with the clogging

8% seems to be the sweet spot we have found

3 Likes

Why is that? I’ve searched and I can’t find anything about isolates in carts causing clogging issues.

1 Like

Maybe its recrystalizing? Is it being properly melted into the disty?

1 Like

So I’m having an issue with ccell carts also clogging up on me. Not sure my aperture size I think it’s 2mm …do I need to thin my disty with more terps? I’m currently cutting with 5/6 percent

5 or 6 percent is sufficient. Make sure you cap within 30 seconds after filling. Then flip them over, store them flipped over, and ship them flipped over.

3 Likes

So they aren’t really clogged with the first couple hits that are taken it’s more after someone’s chiefed it a bit and they’ve probably set it back down to resolidify that it starts happening…could that just be a viscosity issue where I need to thin the mix slightly with a little bit more of a cut of terps? It’s not happening with everyone but I figure I need to investigate the potential issue before I get more complaints

What else is in these? If using some isolates, cut down isolates. Shouldn’t go above 6% terps.

You are using real CCELLs? Then this shouldn’t be an issue.

There is a lot of user error with cartridges that is simply unavoidable.

3 Likes

Hello, @COVID-69 just want to know if you have figured out the clogging issues, also if you need any alternatives for 510 vape cartridges, I will recommend you our CH6 Glass Easy-press Cartridge with oil inlet holes size: 4*2.0mm.

Samples are available for your testing.

More details pls check: https://budtanks.com/product-details/ch6/

Or DM at promotion04@buddyvape.com, Whatsapp: +86-18028750531

Where is the clog?

Presumably in the air path. The way you get extract there is when it’s not viscous enough imo.

Too high a viscosity leads to dry atomizer/burnt extract/wick because the extract can’t get to the heater.

Clogs are about liquid making it past the atomizer…and into the vapor path.

Explain how lowering viscosity would reduce the amount of liquid making it to/past the atomizer?!?

Maybe this 1k word substitute will make the above clear?

“Clog” == green path has hash in it….

11 Likes

Hitting too many times in a row can heat the whole cart up enough to LOWER the viscosity to the point where the atomizer floods (into the air path)

Lowering your product viscosity would be expected to make this worse not better.

@qma?!?

5 Likes

I asked the question I didn’t state anything I told you my hunch but I do appreciate you breaking it down for me and making things more clear…not sure why so many people on here have to come off so condescending on this site when asked a question :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Where is condescending? (You are aiming that epithet at me?)

Have you answered a single question I asked?

Did answering help you organize your thoughts on the subject?

Sorry for trying to make you think.

If it makes you uncomfortable I can stop (nope sorry that’s a lie)

You seem to be under the misapprehension that my responses were for you and you only.

LOTs of folks with clogged carts…if the response seems too simplistic or states things you already know (which you find condescending or deliberately rude?!?), look at it through the eyes of someone who searched and found it, rather than asked.

Wtf answer in a manner that only serves you? If with a smidge more effort we can cover the next dozen enquiries?

1 Like

That sure did seem like a condescending question when you asked me to explain how lowering the viscosity would fix my issue because I never made the statement I simply asked if it could be a viscosity issue where I need to thin my distillate more. Your response from my preception indicated you thought I was making a statement which I clearly wasn’t. And I was wrong on my thought process too. I did take the time to put thought into it logically both ways I just happened to reiterate that specific idea I had about viscosity possibly being too thick on that particular post. I definitely entertained the idea that it was from my distillate being too thin. Now that I read over what you said more I can see you were simply trying to help. Sorry about claiming you sounded condescending. I do appreciate your input because its definitely constructive in me fixing this issue

2 Likes

Asked you to THINK about it.

Did you? Did it help?

Did the picture help?

Do you think I had that picture in my back pocket so I could make fun of you?

No, I had to screen through dozens to find one that would help you.

2 Likes