Cleaning MCT oil post extraction?

Hello! I’ve been making infused MCT oil from my AVB and stems, leaves, etc. about once a month. My process is

Blend and pulverize plant matter
Cover in MCT and jar in a mason jar
Pot, cloth under the jar, enough water to cover the oil on the jar
Simmer as low as possible while boiling for 4-6 hours
Strain through a tea strainer like this one here https://www.davidstea.com/dw/image/v2/BBXZ_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-davidstea-master-catalog/default/dwc2fb27ac/productimages/904044DT01VAR0076292-904044US01VAR0058013-BI-1.jpg?sw=450&sh=450&sm=fit

At this point I’ll put boiling water through the plant matter and strainer to loosen up the last little bits of oil and then put it in the fridge to let cool and separate over night. I’m happy with the product due to personal use but it could always taste cleaner.

My thoughts are that right after the boiling water goes into the oil, wouldn’t mixing the oil in the water as much as possible pull any soluble undesirables such as chlorophyll? It already separates a lot of the particulates from the oil which settle in the water. If my reasoning is unsound I’d love to discuss the topic or any alternatives to cleaning the taste out of the oil.

When i make small batch (personal) edibles i decarb my biomass, infuse the oil then do a ghetto liquid liquid extraction like you are describing. It does help the taste with no noticeable loss in potency, but that is anecdotal. I have no lab analysis to prove a lack of potency loss

1 Like