Cleaning Lab Coats

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I’ll give some of these a try and see what happens!

Definitely will try this out

-my epic troll comment- Lol wash your lab coats in your pandas with 190 proof :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Heres what I did when I was a chef. Dedicate 1 5gal bucket. Add nasty coats/clothes. Fill with hot water. While filling, add simple green degreaser. Let sit overnight, hand wash well, wring out with fresh water. Run thru washing machine if desired.

I used to use a product called Blue Max from car-brite. It’s an autodetailers degreaser. POTENT! Stuff. It’s only available thru distributors.

2 Likes

HF - so clean there’s no jacket left

5 Likes

Coatextraction.com

For stubborn stains, I’ve used dr. Bronners peppermint soap with pretty good success. But granted not everything comes out.

For that treatment I apply the soap liberally to the spot, scrub the crap outta it, then put it in the wash, if that doesn’t remove the stain, I find nothing will. It’s taken permanent marker out of jeans and didn’t leach any of the blue out.

(I obviously missed the last part of your comment earlier lol.)

1 Like

I think alconox can take oil out of clothes. There are fabric directions. I read a ton of the reviews on amazon where people were washing their clothes in it

3 Likes

Mines always clean cuz I never wear it

Having a back up that’s always clean is a good idea tho

1 Like

have you tried rubbing some cooking oil into the stain, it’ll break down the tar, then rub some washing detergent into cooking oil into the stain. No guarantees that will do anything but make a mess in your laundry room as you drip cooking oil everywhere.

1 Like

I soak the whites in ethanol then throw them in the laundry. They’re still white.

1 Like

The reason lab coats and chef coats are traditionally white is for the same reason:

It shows that you are careful and work clean, in an environment where a slip up can easily stain your reputation- a clean white coat shows that you are doing your job meticulously and professionally

6 Likes

see: Washing Machine "Salad Spinner" tek

substitute labcoats for biomass. use rm temp solvent.

Edit: bonus points if you make distillate => carts from the wash.

5 Likes

Should have noted that my comment was rhetorical and more of a jab for having had to wear lab coats when I knew what was being done would irreparably damage the coat. Processing to crude is often a messy job, and the stains (especially when working around @cyclopath) are inevitable. I’m familiar with the reasoning behind white, but for those who know me, it is a color they never see me wear outside the lab. I’m religiously opposed but no one seems to grant me the exception. Haha. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I only wear white after labor day

And every day is Labor Day for me

Work yourself to death :skull:

3 Likes

I agree, but I usually had the occasional splash back while on the saute station daily.

My next vehicle will be white however. Clean!

1 Like

:sob::sob: Monthly reminder that you’re not the sum of the things you do for work :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

Whatever you do DO NOT MIX isopropyl Alcohol and bleach! It makes chloroform!

Came very close to learning that before asking the all knowing one. Had a bunch of rags that were still soaked in alcohol and was about to dump a bunch of bleach on them in the washer. Rule number 1 of my top 100 rule number 1’s. Don’t mix any chemicals before researching the reactions!

10 Likes

This disclaimer belongs at the top of every thread. Haha.

2 Likes

Vinegar and bleach also. No mix. Chlorine gas. Really you should be doing a simple google on chemical mixing before any unknown or questionable solutions get concocted.