Cleaning Lab Coats

Anybody know how to get thc oil out of your lab coat? Ours have started to look rather dirty despite running them through a standard washer.

Good question. Im curious

If you can’t clean up cannabis oleoresin from a counter with soap and water, any reason you think it would work better on fabric? My suggestion is to use a solvent first to make sure you get as much out as you can, then hit it with bleach, H2O2, or OxyClean. Alternatively, getting lab coats in a color that shows stains less is my preferred method of ensuring lab coats still look as clean as I know they are after coming out of the wash. Could also be why I wear all black all the time. :man_shrugging:

Whoever decided white should be the color of lab coats obviously never worked in labs. It has never made sense to me.

Edit: I also know from personal experience that no amount of bleach can remove some stains. Manganese dioxide stains clothing better than any dye I’ve ever used.

11 Likes

The GLG coats are black for that reason. I imagine coats are white in healthcare professions so that you immediately notice they are dirty and properly handled

11 Likes

I feel the same way about chef coats. They aren’t for cooking, they’re so you look like a doofus for photo ops

3 Likes

Oil stains pretty bad imo and really hard to get out

1 Like

I’m finding other oils get things out. I have this hand cleaner that is oil based, and it cleans my hands right off when I get sticky from harvesting or making extracts.

I got some extracts on a hoodie of mine I really liked, so I took a good sized dollop of the stuff and rubbed it in then threw it in the wash and it all came out.

3 Likes

It’s a oil based hand cleaner, and it is pretty neat how well it works

3 Likes

2 Likes

That product is awesome, and oil-based cleaners work great for cannabinoids, as they are lipophilic. Orange cleaner works great too (ask @cyclopathabout the recirculating, heated limonene cleaning station he built). Mechanics have been using it for forever to wash grease and oils without drying the skin as bad as regular soaps. My concern would be for fabrics being stained by the oils. I have oil spots on clothing from cooking that are 20 years old and still fresh like the day they were made.

2 Likes

For oil based stains something like EcoLab Heavy Duty Degreaser. Very similar to Purple Power or Castrol Super Clean.

I ordered some of that hand cleanser. Hoping for the best.

2 Likes

I have a limonene based degreaser that works wonders too. Takes a little extra elbow grease, but letting things soak in it helps a bunch.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I’ll give some of these a try and see what happens!

Definitely will try this out

-my epic troll comment- Lol wash your lab coats in your pandas with 190 proof :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Heres what I did when I was a chef. Dedicate 1 5gal bucket. Add nasty coats/clothes. Fill with hot water. While filling, add simple green degreaser. Let sit overnight, hand wash well, wring out with fresh water. Run thru washing machine if desired.

I used to use a product called Blue Max from car-brite. It’s an autodetailers degreaser. POTENT! Stuff. It’s only available thru distributors.

2 Likes

HF - so clean there’s no jacket left

5 Likes

Coatextraction.com

For stubborn stains, I’ve used dr. Bronners peppermint soap with pretty good success. But granted not everything comes out.

For that treatment I apply the soap liberally to the spot, scrub the crap outta it, then put it in the wash, if that doesn’t remove the stain, I find nothing will. It’s taken permanent marker out of jeans and didn’t leach any of the blue out.

(I obviously missed the last part of your comment earlier lol.)

1 Like

I think alconox can take oil out of clothes. There are fabric directions. I read a ton of the reviews on amazon where people were washing their clothes in it

3 Likes