Cleaning a CLS, Post-Use

Hi All,

I’m trying to wrap my head around effectively and efficiently cleaning a closed-loop system. Aside from concerns about product carryover, bacterial and fungal contamination, etc–it’s just good practice to clean your process vessels after each use–especially if its a batch process.

I have some ideas that i’d like some insight on, if you care to read:

1. Run your hydrocarbon through the vessel without any biomass in it. Run it warm, so that solubility of residues is increased.

Pros:

• Simple

• Doesn’t require assembly/disassembly

• Added benefit of re-distilling solvent to check its cleanliness

Cons:

• Requires multiple solvent passes

• Vessel geometry may not allow for complete cleaning

• Creates more uptime for CLS–therefore increases operating risk overall

1. Clean with HOT Alconox and rinse with RO several times.

Pros:

• No solvent distillation required

• Ability to reach every crevice in the system

• Ability to control residue with number of rinses

Cons:

• Adding water to the system that will be difficult to remove (especially around gaskets)

• Possiblity of not removing contaminants usually removed by butane

1. Same as #2, but with Ethanol

Anyone care to share some insight, opinions, etc?

4 Likes

hot solvent vapors clean a system very well.
use hexane if you’d like very fast and full cleaning.

4 Likes

We run it open as a still and reflux the ethanol at 80c, any water will stay in the collection pot, once done you can let it air dry

2 Likes

We run it open and clean out the splatter platter after recovery

2 Likes

something that helps clean honey pots is to close off all ports and let the butane evaporate and recondense inside the honey pot with the heater on —- itll clean it all out except for bottom of pot —- i do this in between runs when i have to replenish my solvent tank —- i add, distill my tane and clean about 95% of the pot — after i just take the cover off and pour alcohol to clean the bottom.

2 Likes

Heads up guys,

When your cleaning your CLS with your extraction gas, please understand that butane is NOT an efficient disinfectant, sanitizer or antimicrobial agent. It does not kill bacteria very well.

Some may say “LYSOL has butane, so it must work”, but it’s strictly there as a propellant, nothing more.

Using butane to disinfect your CLS is like washing your dirty socks with bath water and expecting them to smell good after.

:spoon:

16 Likes

I must be different as I break it all down and wipe it down with ethanol.

11 Likes

good to know

this is what I do too, doesn’t make sense to do anything else. A cleaning usually requires getting your hands in there and cleaning. I haven’t cleaned my lines or fittings yet but they also don’t seem like they need it.

I wipe the stainless out after every run and let it dry before re-assembling it and storing it under vac

6 Likes

How large are your batches–sounds effective, but not efficient.

50 #'s is batch size for testing requirments in cali. Really doesn’t take long to break the system down, wipe it down and reassemble. I make the minions wash the CRC components every run before assembling and pouring powders.

3 Likes

I run hot vapor through the system, then followed by clean fresh liquid propane at around 0C and finally break open and rinse and wipe with ethanol.

Always want to check/replace your desiccant beads too if you are suspicious you ran any material that wasn’t 100% clean.

1 Like

What do you do to lines?i am thinking about soaking them in a 5gal bucket with ethanol would that work?

2 Likes

I run warm butane through my lines to clean them. Its just part of my process during the distillation of new solvent.

I’m not too concerned with my lines though…I wipe everything stainless down with isopropyl alcohol and lint free rags before final assembly.

3 Likes

Ok same thing if it might be contaminated by pesticedes?i appreciate you helping me out thanks

1 Like

Oh fuck…I dont know anything about pesticides. I only run my personally grown material…so no pesticides for me.

1 Like

warm hexane cleans out fats and waxes well.

2 Likes

If your trying to get rid EVERYTHING then acetone rinse, iso alcohol rinse, alconix rinse followed by distilled water if I remember correctly

Tips get cleaned with ethanol and internals get cleaned with 60/40. We test our biomass before we run it.

1 Like

I usually disassemble and clean everything with extremely hot water, then isopropyl and then hydrogen peroxide.