Chris @theclearscientist IG - Unpacking the beast

Its fun to hear these tall tales. Reminds me of the .com and real estate bubbles from the last couple decades.
Whenever I start to get excited about the new hot “investments” math brings me right back to reality.

6 Likes

Why cannabis seed oil?

1 Like

It’s relatively good for ya, especially compared to the other random plant oils people eat

5 Likes

Interesting! I’ll look more into that.

Side note - have you ever tried to juice hemp? I bet that’d be very healthy, but hard to do with most home juicers.

Good luck with that

3 Likes

The only limit on biomass processed per day is the equipment you use. The equipment’s ability to complete the task in an efficient and repeatable manner is based on optimizing the fundamental process parameters.

Here’s a good discussion from a while back

The difference between our market and the other fully industrialized markets is that engineers have payed relatively little attention to hemp/cannabis…until now

7 Likes

@TheGratefulPhil Thank you for the attached link, it was amazing to read! This forum just gets better and better :slight_smile: An ode to all the days still to be lost reading the treads here, amazing group of people sharing awesome insights from a range of backgrounds!

7 Likes

This community is amazing—there’s a shared sense of excitement and infatuation with a relatively undefined industry—and some of the dialogue that gets shared can be as insightful as a comparable research paper.

Even having been here from nearly the beginning, I spend hours at a time using the search bar, finding things I previously skipped.

Cool shit

14 Likes

There’s a company in Illinois that has been in botanical extraction for like 80 years. Seen a press release a while ago that said they were converting some of their production lines to CBD. If I find it again i’ll edit this post, or maybe someone else can chime in.

Thank you everyone, with a few more facilities mentioned we can make a table with ‘The Top 10’ of the biggest hemp for cbd processing facilities. Set by the stated capacity, then we can speculate % fill.

Should we be considering The Plug Supply at stated biomass processing of 200,000lb a week on a possible top 10 list?

1 Like

@Future I ended up coming across Crown’s Continous Extraction Systems press release: Crown Introduces Continuous Extraction System for Hemp CBD Oil: Company Leverages Expertise To Greatly Increase Hemp CBD Oil Processing Capacity - Crown Iron Works
Crown’s Continuous Extraction System for Hemp CBD Oil empowers manufacturers to meet growth targets and lower manufacturing costs with a scalable, environmentally friendly system that accommodates input capacities from 5 – 50+ MTPD.

1 Like

I told crown their crazy when they approached me about this.

Demand is nowhere near to sell commerical units like that. In two years, yes.

“This town ain’t big enough for the two of us” truly rings true for now…

Diseconomies of scale is the new lesson to be learned

4 Likes

Did you guys see this recent update?

It’s a thing of beauty, isn’t it.

Claimed to produce a 55 gallon drum of distillate every 25 minutes.

Kosher certified. lol.

He says he’s working on large scale crystallization next…

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-m6JFhJJcJ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

1 Like

They had some pictures of that earlier. I guess they finally got around to painting it.

Do you think the existance of a single system this large will have a significant impact on the price of CBD in the US in the coming year??

He’s got facilities and equipment on site to go from incoming hemp bales on trucks to extraction, preprocessing, distillation and soon crystallization at a rate of 55 gallons distillate per 25 minutes.

If they keep that up 24 hours a day during peak season that’s got to have a big impact seeing as they’re the only ones even close to this scale right now.

I’m also wondering about what @MrRandy alluded to earlier in this thread. Who’s going to buy all the product? Will demand for CBD continue to increase or will it level out? How will that effect an operation as large as this?

Not so sure about that. There are a lot of big projects going on right now that aren’t getting blown up on instagram.

2 Likes

Tell me about it. How much CBD can people possibly use? How many CBD users can we honestly expect to exist in the US next year and how much will they consume? Apparently around 1/7th of adult Americans say they’ve used CBD. That’s about 100g per CBD user annually out of this one facility. You definitely won’t be able to get people to eat all that in 15mg kombuchas!

2 Likes

Fortified bread

2 Likes

Do tell…

1 Like

There was a lab debuting in Eastern Oregon that i was talking to a year ago, with 30,000 lb/hr capacity and plans to grow. I don’t remember the name unfortunately so i can’t get more specifics.