Chocolate recipe needed

After 4 failed attempts at making chocolate, I need some help. Not quite sure WTF is going on.

Recipe is
2/3 cup coconut oil
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk powder
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

On double boiler like the vid below.

3 Likes

Did your chocolate lose itā€™s temper? You might need a good emulsifier.

3 Likes

No
The FN milk powder is never fully dissolving and leaving gritty crap. I went and bought another type/brand of milk powder. Same result

1 Like

Just like gummies, you could save time (and headaches!) by buying pre-made chocolate intended for melting, mix in disty and re-mold.

15 Likes

Iā€™m about to go buy the melting chocolate pieces. I just need to make sure the distillate gets evenly mixed so no hot spots.

I wanted to do a few test runs w/o distillate so I didnā€™t waste any.

3 Likes

Gummies require a heavy duty industrial wand mixer. I think you can get away with a straight kitchen wand mixer to homogenize based on the thinner consistency.

2 Likes

I was going to use my heated plate stirrer or what ever you call it.

2 Likes

@chefrobert

Any ideas?

That was gonna be my suggestion. ā€œMeltsā€ donā€™t take all the work out, but they do make it so much easier to get product out the door, and are pretty much industry standard outsides very select few.

6 Likes

And look into tempering.

12 Likes

Iā€™ve messed around with chocolate a few times (melts/chips) and tempering can definitely be frustrating. It was hard to be consistent, but I felt like the temperature / humidity in the room was playing a part.

I found that white chocolate chips/melts were way easier to work with since they donā€™t need to be tempered. Just melt, add medicine, mold and cool.
Adding flavorings can help a lot too if youā€™re not really into white chocolate (like strawberry extract, etc).

3 Likes

Props for trying to make chocolate from scratch @Demontrich!

Iā€™ve always just melted down chocolate bars. I usually buy some dark stuff for the high cacao content, and some milk chocolate because I donā€™t like the taste of super dark stuff. Maybe throw in some mint dark chocolate too.

Throw the bars in the freezer for a while, then smash em to bits while theyā€™re still cold. Melt about 3/4 of the total amount of chocolate double boiler style. Save the other 1/4 for tempering later.

I usually add some bho or eho, decarbed in a roughly equal amount of liquid sunflower lecithin in a small double boiler. After decarb, while still hot, I stir into the melted chocolate, then hit it with the handheld kitchen mixer. After the chocolate cools a bit, add the unmelted chocolate to seed the proper chocolate crystal formation, stir it in, then hit it with the mixer. Then itā€™s off to the molds.

I canā€™t recall the temps I use for melting and tempering right now. I always just google it before I makes some every few months. Tempering will give a nice firm chocolate that has a snap to it when bitten. It also keeps the chocolate from blooming - white streaks on the surface. Blooming looks like nasty mold, but itā€™s perfectly ok to eat.

Iā€™ll see if I can dig up the temps in a bit.

5 Likes

@Rowan once posted a very good book about tempering chocolate thatā€™s around here somewhere (was brought up in discussion about amorphous glass transition).

I have no experience with chocolate (our state doesnā€™t allow edible other than capsules) but, what we do with a lot of new formulations to save money on med is use hemp seed oil initially and then omega 3 fish oil until we decide to throw real oil at it. The fish oil to pot oil transition is very easy, the bigger issue is that the shit still ainā€™t that cheap and scaling always makes recipes hurt lol

3 Likes

If you need help dosing chocolate, get yourself some PGPR. It works wonders.

1 Like

Iā€™ve already got the tempering part down, and molds. When I added the milk powder to the coconut oil, it never fully mixed. It always had some bits that never fully melted in the mix. All 3x I tried tonight.

I may just go back to the brownies I made prior. Never had any issues.

Iā€™m used to (or was) making 5 gal batches of pancake batter, French toast batter, sauces, hollandaise, bashemel, graveys, etc, so my hand whipping skills are top shelf.

4 Likes

Get valrhona pistoles. Easiest melting chocolate. Those little dome shaped peices.

Maybe sift small amounts in at a time while mixing?

3 Likes

Sifting is most definitely key for no clumping, as well as gradual addition

2 Likes

Youā€™ll get a much better chocolate if you used cocoa butter instead of coconut oil. It will make a noticeable difference. More chocolaty. Itā€™s satisfying making your chocolate from scratch but those wafers work just fine and you can use the microwave. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC)

5 Likes

I have a super simple chocolate ā€˜pateā€™ recipe, just butter yolks cream chocolate

Can be rolled into truffles, or chilled sliced and flambee d w high proof rum

1 Like