Chocolate recipe needed

Cocoa butter is essentially what they take out of chocolate to make the powder, right? I’m no chocolatier, but does makes sense to use that.

1 Like

this was epic. A lot of insight towards crystallization too!

1 Like

Yeah, something like that. If you catch a whiff of the cocoa butter you smell chocolate. It’s the lipids and can easily be infused if one decided to go that route. The chocolate sets better, too.

2 Likes

chocolate chips still need tempering. I’ve made dozens of bad batches with chocolate chips. Time to level up!

3 Likes

@Demontrich don’t give up bebe. You’ll get there! Don’t be another chad like me mixing oil into melting chocolate. Keep up the craft work. Nothing worse doing comes easy.

3 Likes

White chocolate is different though. Don’t know the science behind it, but I just found this out the hard way a week ago. Lots of yummy chocolate puddles in bags and the white choc was pristine

I once did I pilot process for extracting cacao with SCO2 and I’ve never hated anything as much as cocoa butter lol. It forms a glassy solid, that’s for damn sure.

You might try adding a tiny bit of water to dissolve/homogenize these two ingredients before hand if they’re what’s giving you trouble

2 Likes

I used to make edibles all the time. My homie Peter would be knocking on my window looking for those dank reeses cups. Then one day this spoiled brat came into the hood peddling his chocolates. His grandfather was the owner/ chocolatier at a very prestigious chocolate shop. He had fancy chocolate bars that made mine look like shit. He told me that white chocolate is considered a poor man’s chocolate. Its basically fats. I kinda want to take his grandpa’s chocolate class.

7 Likes

Correct, white chocolate is chocolate - coco.

Cocoa butter, milk solids, and sugar = white chocolate.

I hate the stuff.

3 Likes

White chocolate is my favorite!

I’ll give it another go tomorrow. I’m only out 30.00 tops for ingredients. Making (or attempting too) only takes 30mins per batch and 10mins cleanup.

1 Like

White chocolate and crushed oreos is an all time best seller

3 Likes

I’ll post up a SOP if/when I get it figured out. I used to move 3-4 dozen 80mg brownies a month easily. Then I got lazy and hated making them. Everyone’s been asking lately

1 Like

Hit up Aurelie Collee! She owns a chocolate company here in Boulder that utilizes a water soluble formulation of mine. Everything made from scratch over at the old extract labs space (if you know the area) and she’s a certified Belgian. Feel free to DM for her contact info I don’t wanna throw it out here.

2 Likes

So I found the temp info I used for tempering.

For the initial melt temp:
Dark Chocolate: 114 – 118° F (46 – 48° C)
Milk Chocolate: 105 – 113° F (40 – 45° C)
White Chocolate: 100 – 110° F (37 – 43° C) Note: be very careful as the high milk and sugar content in white chocolatewill cause it to burn easily.

Temp to shoot for after adding seed chocolate:
Dark chocolate should be between 88 – 89° F (31° C)
Milk and white chocolates should be between 84 – 86° F (29 – 30° C)

Try not to go above these temps. If you go over the second temps, you’ll have to start over the tempering process. Since I used a mix of dark and milk chocolate, I usually go with about 114 and 87, +/- 1.

Maybe try adding your milk powder to the oil and mix thoroughly before adding the other ingredients to help it dissolve. I saw someone suggest pre mixing with water. I’ve never made chocolate before, but have read that water in the mix will cause the chocolate to bloom.

6 Likes

Coco butter in chocolate melts at just over 40 C and stays liquid till about 30C

Egg proteins coagulate around 65 C, but if you whip them first it’s more about how the ‘warm’ (but not egg-coagulating) chocolate affects the foam.

Takes the tempering out of the equation kind of

But it’s not a Hershey bar consistency and I cant speak to shelf life of humongous batches :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Big ups to my man’s with that new exotic 2020 recipe

4 Likes

Is there a reason you’re using coconut oil instead of cocoa butter? I’d swap that out first, then try sous vide if you’ve got the cash for an immersion circulator. Tempering the old fashioned way sucks

3 Likes

I think a couple dozen brownies are fine, truffles are easy to roll, and super easy too, compared to tempering chocolate. Just threw it out there, didn’t mean to get all twinkle toes buddy :smile:

3 Likes

I used to like it, but if I’m eating chocolate, I want the real thing!

1 Like

I understand the puritan aspect, but I hear the call of the white fudge covered oreos too. To each his own, but I’ll take both, please :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes