Chinese Centrifuge Problems

In February, we purchased a new centrifuge from SubZero for a decent price. The centrifuge was delivered and installed without issue. We ran it from February 15th without issues. On April 30th, late in the day, the centrifuge refused to spin up to speed in Low, Meduim or High settings.

Normally on:
Low the 'fuge would spin up to 30Hz
Med the 'fuge would spin up to 45Hz
High the 'fuge would spin up to 60Hz

The machine now spins up to between 10-15Hz, will stay running for 7-8 minutes then throw an over current alarm (OC1) or pulse by pulse current limit fault (CBC).

We have tried the following to resolve this issue:
Adjusted various VFD settings per the manual
Tried the ‘auto tune’ function (with load)
Tried the ‘auto tune’ function (without load/removed the belts)
Checked the bearings and basket balance
Checked for loose wires and/or bad ground wire.

At this point we are pretty stuck. We’ve called in a ‘VFD guy’ who wasn’t a whole lot of help. He spent 5-6 hours on this issue without success. We’ve contacted Effison out of China for instruction not much help there, but hey at least my ‘WeChat’ app is active now :roll_eyes:

We’ve also been in contact with Sub Zero who is trying to help us out with the manufacturer’s 1 year warranty. We haven’t had much help from them either so far.

Pretty much all we’ve seen out of China instruction wise is to:
Run the motor without load
Try the auto tune function
Check the bearings
Effison gave us a list of their default values to program into the VFD

None of this has worked … ugh.

Any one have ideas on what this problem could be?

Pictures included for reference.

CBC_ERROR
OC1_ERROR

Where are you located?

Does the unit have zerks or ports for greasing the spindle bearings? If so, have you greased and what grease did you use? What temps are you running this at?

Do you have access to another VFD so you could validate amperage readings while running?

4 Likes

Hey Buggy,

Thanks for the brainstorming help.

Our shop is located in Central Oregon.

I’m not sure about zerks or grease ports as I haven’t removed the basket or spindle. It’s only a couple months old at this point and doesn’t seem to need grease attention. It spins smooth without noise or vibration. We run warm extraction (room temp) so we should be good there.

I currently have the V belts off of the motor for testing. This eliminates the mechanical issues. I’m having the same issue with or without a load on the motor.

I don’t have access to another VFD right now. The VFD is reading 14+ amps while running.

Just a few minutes ago I disconnected the motor from the VFD to see if the VFD gave an error. It didn’t and just acted like normal, without giving motor values of course. This was on the advice from another VFD guy. Without an error, he claims its not the VFD that’s broken.

Your motor could be failing internally. I’d see if you can find someone who is handy with a multimeter to check the resistance phase to phase on the motor (with VFD disconnected), and each phase to ground or to motor casing. Your phase to phase values should all be pretty close together and you shouldn’t have any resistance to ground.

Alternatively if you can pull the motor and take it to an electric motor shop they should be able to test these for you pretty easily and let you know if they spot a problem.

4 Likes

usually a starter/alternator repair business can do trouble shoot electric motors as well if you cannot find a electric motor specific shop.

If you have a multi meter and know how to use it i would suggest starting with what @greenbuggy said.

3 Likes

It’s reading 14+ amps with the belts off? If so, it is most likely a motor problem. The overload setting in the drive should be set at a minimum 115% (depending on the motor) of the motor nameplate full-load current rating. I couldn’t read the nameplate but a typical 10 hp motor would be set at right around 14 amps at high volt, so those errors add up. If you have a local motor shop, pull it and have them test it. If not get an electrician out with a megger to check the windings. Also check voltage imbalance, you should be within 3% while running.

3 Likes

I’m with @MathewScott; if it’s pulling 14A with zero load, it’s not a happy motor.

pick up a 10Hp Baldor instead (or 20HP if you want some fun :wink: but you’ll need a bigger VFD too)

chances are these guys can fix the old one, but it might not be worth the money.

I’ve never worked with Waddell, but Bend may be more convenient … https://www.waddell-emi.com

4 Likes

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I took the motor to have it tested this morning and they diagnosed it as ‘burnt up’. Knowing this should help out our warranty claim with the seller/manufacturer.

4 Likes

Were you using this in “agitate” mode?

Don’t!

Start here: It washes the cannabis and then it washes the cannabis some more

Or pay me to come down and get you headed in the right direction (which is round in circles!!)

4 Likes

Seriously, get a Baldor. Ideally with more HP…

4 Likes

No agitate cycle on this unit. We manually start, stop and change the speed. We don’t even switch spin direction.

2 Likes

Thanks we will look into that for sure. I had someone else suggest using a 12 kW motor instead.

Why don’t you just call Lew and have him fix it…?

1 Like

Because it won’t go to 11 that way.

Lew? Subzero and their ‘manufacturer’ Michael have not been very helpfully so far. Is that who you are referring to?

1 Like

Make sure you size the replacement motor to the VFD or size vfd for new motor at typically 1.5x size of motor hp. If your motor wasn’t connected to the correct size vfd this can also cause premature motor failure.

1 Like

Yea lew owns subzero

Thanks. I did figure that out finally. We’ve been working with his office to get this sorted.

1 Like

Does it happen to be this fuge that they listed for sale? New 200L Jacketed Soaking Centrifuge -$42,000 - Classifieds / Equipment For Sale - Future4200

2 Likes

Ya, we bought ours from them. The told us they had a 200L jacketed version down in grants pass. We paid quite a bit less than 42000 though.