Chiller solution

China brand it’s 15l open bath for the wf

Any idea if using a pure methanol solution in a chiller is ok? For example polysci durachill -10. I have plenty of methanol and would like to boost the chiller with dry ice or ln2 to run colder but have never used anything but pg/water.

Bump :wink:

Anyone run cheap 100cst silicone oil? Well not cheap but cheaper than dynalene

Soxhlet-

Your mention on heat-exchangers speaks to me!

Looking for a energy efficient & speedy way to bring our cryo-ethanol up to near room temperature, prior to rotovape, what vendors may you recommend?

Grateful for all the insights you offer the community. Much thanks!
Atom

Heres a wild ass idea, run your cryo etoh through the condenser of your rotovap, then through a preheat tube in the rotobath before injectin it into the rotovap.

6 Likes

Bloody brilliant, mate!

I’ve been reading studies the last day or two describing the difference between propylene and ethylene glycol. Ethylene has better heat transfer characteristics but it appears to degrade faster

Industrial solution
ElectroSteam https://www.electrosteam.com/
Simply replace water input with ethanol and reduce temp set point to something south of BP (78C) of ethanol.

Home lab solution
Common residential pool plate type brazed heat exchanger.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjRx_iMj4XgAhUJDmkKHcrEAGoYABAIGgJpcQ&sig=AOD64_05hCFFhWAhRa-BWMME_xiW6fDOrA&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiakfCMj4XgAhWbnoMKHWdqADMQ9aACCDU&adurl=
Residential hot water heater on the primary side, ethanol solution on the other side, couple of re-circ pumps. Inexpensive set-up and depending on your knowledge of controls, pumps and the like, very simple set-up.

Hi, All!!

ChemPoint has many chemistries used in the Cannabis/Hemp Industry~

We stock Dow Syltherm XLT in California and Chicago for your condensers and chillers.
We stock Dowfrost inhinited Glycol in warehouses across the country.

We will provide you technical data and have a tech onsite for your questions: Nitro Jackets? Volume Variations? Which grade do I need for the best protection and temperature requirements?
Anything Heat Transfer Fluid related - we know the answer :slight_smile:

Give me a call or email if you need pricing or have questions. Thanks for the opportunity to partner with you~
Rhonda Valentine (425) 372-9043
rhonda.valentine@chempoint.com

1 Like

Dow Heat Transfer Fluids - Syltherm XLT: Industry Standard

1 Like

China chiller and cheap Meijer coolant go hand in hand. I’m in the same boat - not too worried about my China chiller.

I’m confused, so you designed the WFE but you have no experience with WFE or a SPD?

As someone with experience using Dowtherm products (T-66 and VP-1), I don’t recommend them to anyone without a strong industrial safety background.

Edit: I felt this was worth necroing in case someone else comes across this topic while researching. T-66 and VP-1 can cause severe injury if improperly handled.

Estokha is correct. That is why we recommend Dow Syltherm XLT for closed system. Not open.

1 Like

So I took some info from this thread and ordered a couple brazen plates. We had a spare chiller so the idea was to build a dual stage chiller, the first plate (60 plate) doing the heavy lifting using the chiller to keep temps at 0C, the second stage (20 plate) has a direct connection to LN2 with vents sitting directly on top of both brazen plates for added cooling to bring it down to our desired temp of -40C.

Our Biofrost 80 fluid froze up instantly. We thought it was because it was diluted with water we think. So we went with 100% Ethanol and that allowed us to hit the second plate for extended periods bringing our temps down to -40 pretty quickly. The problem was the fluid heats back up almost instantly to 0C. This required a ton of LN2.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to better use the LN2? or the fluid running through the plates? Can we simply add DI water to the ETH to make it more efficient? Should we use other fluid?

Thanks!

1 Like

1 Word… Insulation… I’m not sure about the fluid TBH, however you have absolutely NO insulation on anything… I don’t know if this is right, or wrong, however I would try to do a good job insulating your LN2 tank (or whatever your pouring you LN2 into), try insulating the lines (even with just cheapo insulation).
These are just random off the top of my head things I see by looking at your picture, and using my own rationale for remedies.
I’m not one of the Masters though, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so there’s that…

Agreed, we typically do the insulation last. Just wanted to nail the concept and idea first. We typically use the hose insulation from HD. And we have 1" thick adhesive back insulation from McMaster that works well for the Brazen plate face and rear.

1 Like

Beautiful Plates though!!! To say I’m jealous would be an understatement! Sorry, just trying to help with my limited knowledge/understanding. I wish I had invested some time reading more into chillers, and such. But I’m just 1 guy, doing things at home, so the thought of actually purchasing a chiller for in process work has been far out in left field for me!

1 Like

How do people get colors in the condenser coils on rotovap I see greens and reds. I wanna do purple any tips helps thnx!