Chiller recommendation for small BZB

Has anyone seen the new px5 from precision?

They pair it with a huber 825 and a cs50
So I’m assuming that most 5lb machines will require this level of cooling but 100k kinda spendy atm.

Why do chillers need chillers lol

1 Like

Because when you make something cold you produce heat and when you cool something really low it produces even more heat and you wanna remove that heat so the chiller can get really cold, so you use a another chiller to cool the heat produced by the main chiller.

Sometimes this is done with a single chiller with multiple chiller stages and other times its done externally with another chiller or a cooling tower.

7 Likes

I should have put that in italics sorry.

Someone was saying they can replace a cs50 with a water tower or cheaper MTA?

Check out equipment for sale in the classifieds over here. There may be some chillers that you can use advertised there

2 Likes

This is what Lauda has recommended.

It is apparently twice as powerful as the Huber 825.

The uc8 water chiller and this come in 20k less than the 825 and accompanying water chiller. image

Check their KW rating at -60 like you need.

You will need at least 2kw capacity or so at that temp to cool 4 single jacketed columns, and a 100lb tank.

Dm me if you want more specific calculations, IDK why Boris isn’t letting his customers know the KW needed to cool to certain temperatures with his system.

He has the data, he and I have chatted about this before.

4 Likes

1.5 kw at -60 is what the Huber 825 sits at so this is where the bar is set.

We carry MTA here at Subzero Scientific in Gresham Oregon if you’re local to us, we can ship as well

1 Like

Dimplex has a chiller more powerful than a Huber 915 and I think it costs around 60k. I can’t find the spec sheet, let me see if I can get it.

3 Likes

What do you have comparable to a Huber 825?

1 Like

Dimplex has a setup that has 8.8kw @ -70. The chiller, along with the chiller to cool that one will run around 100k for the whole setup. Give or take taxes, shipping, etc. The whole setup is cheaper than just a 915, which needs another chiller, as well. And it has 4 times the power.

1 Like

Do they have anything half that size?

They probably do, you’d have to get in touch with them. A friend is getting that setup for their large bzb

2 Likes

If you have outdoor or rooftop space, you should run a cooling tower recirculating water from a tank loop to cool the watercooled main chiller, rather than a secondary refrigerated chiller to cool your primary refrigerated chiller.

There are no large industrial processes that use a seconds refrigerated chiller to cool a watercooled chiller.

This is why you always see power plants, food processing plants, ice cream manufacturers, etc always have large cooling towers.

Also nuclear generation stations.

That’s some inefficient engineering to use 2 refrigerated chillers. So much KW usage for such little benefit, rather than using a passive evaporative cooling tower.

Even easier. If your state is blessed with enough water supply, just use your incoming water lines to cool your watercooled chiller.

You need to calculate the cost per hr, for each cooling solution, per KW needed.

3 Likes

Yeah a water tower is much less expensive than the chiller for the chiller.
5-7k yes?

1 Like

-80 10L with better KW than the Huber I believe

NO!

Are you really recommending someone just leave their water main on to cool their process and let it go to the city drain…

Lets maybe not waste treated water unnecessarily, and the amount of water loss is going to add up long term far more than a basic water cooling tower would… plus most utility companies charge you on water usage and the water waste.

8 Likes

$50k is cheap?!?

Yeah, less expensive than Huber, but NOT cheap, or even inexpensive by most standards…

5 Likes

Many city utilities do exactly this.

I don’t recommend it from my own opinion, this is common activity for industrial processing.

1 Like

USA lab is 30k and it’s junk.

Cheap is a relative term.

1 Like