Chemists in their natural habitat

Deleted

10 Likes

Deleted

2 Likes

Dude you are absolutely an OG triple OG in the industry and a solid O Chemist!

The small scale R&D you conducted for me several years ago was enough to demonstrate your advanced knowledge of reactions, distillation, chemistry and cannabinoids in my eyes… don’t let @phenethylamine1 fool you guys… he knows his shit :100::100:

He was hands-on with early adopters in one the first states to launch rec

9 Likes

@ThePhilosopherStoned Holy smokes, thanks bro. You are a solid dude yourself as always!

Right now I’m thinking wtf was I doing, haha, but the crazy part I’ll be thinking that another 5 years from now about present day.

I’m curious to see what the future holds.

It’s so wild to think that the work that we’re doing and sharing is impacting all these products and people, ripple effecting out.

“Edited a duplicate sentence oops”

6 Likes

Deleted

11 Likes

Yeah fuck d8 conversions, the forest of peaks in them is not what anyone should be consuming. Also I’m sceptical of HHC/thco for impurities but have not analyzed any, but I’d assume there are some impurities in them too… Would not consume either.

5 Likes

It’s super weird to think about. I had zero clue about the degree of side products being an issue with cannabis conversions until fairly recently. It’s one thing to read about them, but it feels a lot more real when you actually see them and see the lab staff affected by them as differenct side products make waves through the wooks (I wasn’t converting, just watching as a hapless bystander). Like I was reading Mechoulam and Adams and was like cool, lets mix citral and olivetol and you get racimic CBG, awesome!, but the work doesn’t go into any depth into what any of the secondary and tertiary products are. If you asked me to do this reaction 5 years ago I would have done it, and mixed it into some gummies 100%.

Now I’m like, wow cannabinoid conversions even in the most controlled environments, selective catalysts, inert atmosphere, etc, are still like little chemical shotguns that make unknown material. I’m sure everyone is now more familiar with the recent publications on CBD isomerization, exo-thc etc etc, but those publications still aren’t complete! There are still compounds occurring at the ppm level down to ppb and ppt that are still totally unknown, but detected. It was super weird because like every lab that made D8 had their own little characteristic side products and often it was for cannabinoids that were totally unknown and unresearched. One jar I swear made everyone in the lab get super agro until I told them to stop vaping those samples and everyone chilled out when they swapped to another supplier. I couldn’t quantify the percentage, but it was easily detectable, a thc type cannabinoid with a p-tert-butyl tail. Makes me wonder if it was functioning like a THCv analog??? Anyone of you crazy HHC/THCP/HHCP bros out there, make some of this, vape it, and tell me what you think! Maybe it’s the next hottest thing out there haha!

12 Likes

I saw some D8 turn bright blue one time too. It took a couple weeks but it was the color of this square here no joke!

20220913_Blue

The dude said “oops I must have accidentally left residual calcium hydroxide slip through” wtf??

@TheWillBilly Is that how you make blue THCA?

8 Likes

@phenethylamine1 @anon64373531 @standardoil

Good conversation. Any objections to moving this to it’s own thread to keep this thread dedicated to job listings?

If that’s ok with everyone, choose a thread title and a mod will move the conversation.

2 Likes

Sorry bout the off topic. Appreciate keeping the board organized. I feel like this convo could go anywhere. Maybe “September General Cannabis Chem Discussion”? I’m open to anything if the convo isn’t dead. Best wishes!

@sidco or other willing mod, could you please start a new general chemistry thread (chemists in their natural habitat) to keep this thread devoted to Job Listings?

3 Likes

You’re welcome

1 Like

That’s definitely MoM level forum participation :clap:

2 Likes

Always blows my mind how much perfect strain specific clear terps are wasted on almost every gram of disty produced. When states full of cart producers are paying $15 a gram for CDT and disty is sub $1 in Cali there is literally more value in easily attainable terps being destroyed than the distillate being produced :joy:

4 Likes

I feel by using steam you pigeonhole yourself into low yield and very similar smelling terps. I would love to be proven wrong as the yield for things possible to grab is great with steam but total yield and uniqueness of the profile seems to suffer with steam. I see .9%+ in my volitiles in my process that uses no steam with hay biomass and highest I’ve pulled is 2.2% from fresh frozen and 4% from dry material.
I also feel like a lot of the really valuable goodies outside of terpenes that actually make it smell like cannabis get stuck in the steam.
All that being said, I thought my liters of clear volitile was a lot. That would be a lot of work and experience gained running an that and my theory of it lowering yield only increases that. I am impressed and I even want to change your process. Great work :clap:

3 Likes

Do you have a process for the spent biomass.?

Impressive operation.

Deleted

13 Likes

Deleted

5 Likes

Well. This thread is already a master class worth the price of admission…

6 Likes

The extraction game is the extraction game. Pick a tech, it will come with pros and cons. If you want volume steam is likely the only way to get to hundreds of liters of output.

CO2 runs take time, and unless you’ve got one of those monster Thar Process units you’re stuck. Also CO2, while ‘infinitely selective’ has chronic solubility issues. So even then you’re likely either pulling noids and some waxes (requiring more processing) or you’re leaving material behind pulling water clear off the tap.

But what about the esters and flavonoids? One day we will have studies with GC/MS chromatographs of starting material and polished product, showing what is lost and what is changed.

Maybe we will even find out which ones actually do anything other than smell pretty.

7 Likes