Cheapest/easiest path to personal amounts of mushrooms without special equipment

You know, your right I should share a SOP on this…low tech…low budget version…
I’m not criticizing you or anything you are suggesting… BUT SPORE SYRINGES AND BULK SPAWN DONT MIX WELL…

I used to own 1000 8oz jelly jars…PF TECH…spore syringe used…50% 1st flush…20% 2ed flush… practically no 3rd flush…WITH YEARS OF STERILE HANDLING UNDER MY BELT…augar…flushed for 4-6 months

3 Likes

Miller knows what he’s talking about. Personal amount you do PF Tec. Easier. Takes up less room. Spores are not sterile. Idk what personal amount is to you but even if you are planning on doing more than personal, most anything beyond PF takes a lot of equipment and you need to have very sterile techniques. Not saying it can’t be done out of the gate but much research should be done before trying.

3 Likes

@Capttripppp can you pull up the suggestion for the first time fungi grower thread… I’m on my portable device and dont know how…

1 Like

You joined one day ago and you know that. :eye: :eyes:

2 Likes

2 Likes

multispore bulk, not from uncle ben’s though, from corn/coir. 4-5cc spores to 1/2 gallon of corn in a spawn bag

It might not be ideal, but it definitely works, it’s just less repeatable, there’s more contam issues, and you need a ratio of spawn:bulk around 1:1. Gatekeeping the hobby because a method doesn’t meet your ideals is wack. You don’t need to start on agar to get a couple ounces for headstash, that’s absurd

Let’s not forget this forum started off with the bucket tek - everyone has a different foundation and set of needs

I made an alt for fungus after the anonymous function was removed, it’s still not accepted like cannabis is

3 Likes

Maybe its best to stick to pf tek to start then take some of those mycelium pf cakes and shred it up and try putting that to a bulk spawn.

2 Likes

I can’t remember seeing PF cakes used successfully as spawn before

IMO, if you’re going through the trouble of getting a pressure cooker(which I know BRF cakes don’t necessarily need) and prepping jars, you might as well just go straight to grain

It’s best to just make a phone call and pick it up, and leave all the stressors to someone else.
Lol

3 Likes

I agree…Nobody said that…All I said was " DONT USE A SPORE SYRINGE AND BULK SUBSTRATE"

2 Likes

I bet you could make more money in your grow room…Growing Shrooms

8 Likes

Probably
But then I’d have to retool everything, and find new clientele. I’d rather just hit one of you growers up for shrooms.

3 Likes

It works, just not as well as from clone/isolate

Bulk tubs from multispore have definitely been done many times, for making selections especially. Because you can certainly take issue from fruits to clone. If you want a half # to last a hot minute, it’s fine. If you want to pump 30 lbs/month out of a spare bedroom, your approach would be more necessary

cheaplidsstripped.pdf (89.3 KB) grainprepstripped.pdf (60.0 KB)

here’s my lid prep/grain prep if you want some more to critique. Lids are on the crude side, but buying injection ports and filter patches might raise suspicions certain people don’t want raised

1 Like

Its called 'Slurry in a Hurry"… I advise you to do this…especially when you get real good with the PF cakes… This will show you how bad a properly handled spore syringe is… You will have a 100% failure.

2 Likes

the old magic bullet thing? that’s definitely not a good approach

I should have put that in italics lol its just the most common route i see people trying after pf tek and they usually dont have great success.

I think people have a hard time wrapping their heads around the other methods because they do usually require a little more contam prevention in their methods.

1 Like

Ok Im going to answer your question, the one in the topic.

I started out with something like this. wore that fucker out..
$35.00

Use 4oz jelly jars (they are faster to colonize vs the 8oz)

Use the Pf tech (Obviously you know what that is and where to get the recipe)

Dont use the injector ports. if you want cheap filters here you go!
But a good layer of vermiculite on top is all thats needed for the PF tech

Inject the 4 holes with a multi spore syringe <0.5ml each… flame needle in between uses… use a still air box or glove box ( That I despise )

Get a small clear tote…drill very small holes on all sides…fill with moist pear-light…sat cakes on tinfoil… when they are fully colonized…watch mushrooms grow

Thats less than $100.00 my Bro

6 Likes

crap…those are the best spore syringes I’ve ever seen…and I’ve seen many. It is really a pia living in California and trying to find someone to ship here. the spore store does, but the syringes are…well you have to shake and look really hard to see them. and those were turbocharged. reddit sucks. yeah you have some impressive syringes there.

2 Likes

What would you say the best step after pf tek is if you want to switch to bulk sub monotubs? I see this question all the time and every time there are 10 different suggestions.

1 Like