Cheapest/easiest path to personal amounts of mushrooms without special equipment

OK…COOL…SO WHY DID YOU ASK?
I mean you already know riGht! That’s what it sounds like.

Edit… I’m willing to bet I’m in the top 1%… in this discussion…good luck…

2 Likes

congrats? write some SOPs like your gummy one? I don’t know what to say, your criticism really isn’t helpful

things PF tek requires that this doesnt: prepping a mixture of verm/brf, prepping lids, sterilizing, a fruiting chamber/perlite

this is easier, it’s cheaper, and it requires less work. It is not meant to be perfect, it is an introduction to the hobby

Sorry I offended you with my shitty low tek SOP, damn

2 Likes

pre-sterilized media is definitely another very easy approach and scales much better

3 Likes

You should definitely do it this way…the first time… but not bulk spawn and a spore syringe.

Sorry… I did not consider a $65 canner special…that selling at every Walmart…

That’s all that’s needed

Imo it’s better to isolate from a fruit.

Find a fruit that has qualities that you like. Transfer to an agar plate. Keep transferring until you have something isolated. Then, grow that fruit. Hopefully it’s the isolate you’re looking for. If not, hopefully you still have the plates stored so you can find what you’re looking for.

It’s been well over a decade since I’ve experimented with this, but I remember it being quite rare that you should even isolate. Usually the magic comes from a combination of different strains, not just one.

The science/methods have likely changed since then, so what is your reasoning for suggesting to isolate from spores? With spores you’re going to have so many different strains and you wouldn’t even see what each one remotely looks or feels like before spending a long time transferring and then growing.

1 Like

I don’t care what anyone else is saying, but @MillerliteRN… I know for a fact that he knows exactly what he is talking about, and I would like to absorb some of that knowledge from him. Ignoring his direct advice, and I tried going spore to bulk (basically). I picked up some bags of grain with substrate, and hit them with the syringes. Nothing has happened yet, and I doubt anything accept contamination (just like he said) is going to happen.

If there is anyone here to listen to about “bulk” growing, it’s him… Please tech us some more @MillerliteRN!!!

4 Likes

You know, your right I should share a SOP on this…low tech…low budget version…
I’m not criticizing you or anything you are suggesting… BUT SPORE SYRINGES AND BULK SPAWN DONT MIX WELL…

I used to own 1000 8oz jelly jars…PF TECH…spore syringe used…50% 1st flush…20% 2ed flush… practically no 3rd flush…WITH YEARS OF STERILE HANDLING UNDER MY BELT…augar…flushed for 4-6 months

3 Likes

Miller knows what he’s talking about. Personal amount you do PF Tec. Easier. Takes up less room. Spores are not sterile. Idk what personal amount is to you but even if you are planning on doing more than personal, most anything beyond PF takes a lot of equipment and you need to have very sterile techniques. Not saying it can’t be done out of the gate but much research should be done before trying.

3 Likes

@Capttripppp can you pull up the suggestion for the first time fungi grower thread… I’m on my portable device and dont know how…

1 Like

You joined one day ago and you know that. :eye: :eyes:

2 Likes

2 Likes

multispore bulk, not from uncle ben’s though, from corn/coir. 4-5cc spores to 1/2 gallon of corn in a spawn bag

It might not be ideal, but it definitely works, it’s just less repeatable, there’s more contam issues, and you need a ratio of spawn:bulk around 1:1. Gatekeeping the hobby because a method doesn’t meet your ideals is wack. You don’t need to start on agar to get a couple ounces for headstash, that’s absurd

Let’s not forget this forum started off with the bucket tek - everyone has a different foundation and set of needs

I made an alt for fungus after the anonymous function was removed, it’s still not accepted like cannabis is

3 Likes

Maybe its best to stick to pf tek to start then take some of those mycelium pf cakes and shred it up and try putting that to a bulk spawn.

2 Likes

I can’t remember seeing PF cakes used successfully as spawn before

IMO, if you’re going through the trouble of getting a pressure cooker(which I know BRF cakes don’t necessarily need) and prepping jars, you might as well just go straight to grain

It’s best to just make a phone call and pick it up, and leave all the stressors to someone else.
Lol

3 Likes

I agree…Nobody said that…All I said was " DONT USE A SPORE SYRINGE AND BULK SUBSTRATE"

2 Likes

I bet you could make more money in your grow room…Growing Shrooms

8 Likes

Probably
But then I’d have to retool everything, and find new clientele. I’d rather just hit one of you growers up for shrooms.

3 Likes

It works, just not as well as from clone/isolate

Bulk tubs from multispore have definitely been done many times, for making selections especially. Because you can certainly take issue from fruits to clone. If you want a half # to last a hot minute, it’s fine. If you want to pump 30 lbs/month out of a spare bedroom, your approach would be more necessary