Cheapest/easiest path to personal amounts of mushrooms without special equipment

cheapbulkstripped.pdf (71.4 KB)

Combination of Uncle Ben’s tek and BOD’s unmodified monotub/mini mono

5 Likes

Awesome! So do you have a place that you recommend to go to get spores? I ordered some syringes from MushroomPrints, and it seems like I received a just a syringe of water. I injected them almost a week ago, and I still haven’t seen any growth.
Here’s a good link for prepared media: CapsNStems

2 Likes

sporeworks is my preferred go-to, I tried a few reddit sellers but had mixed results

2 Likes

oh shit, I just noticed I posted the version recommending Iso after bleach. let me fix that, and please don’t mix cleaners

1 Like

Spores101 has always been good for me in the past. Last time I ordered it took me almost 2 months to get my spores, but they made it right and threw in a bunch of extras.

2 Likes

Innoculate the world had a good selection of good prints.

3 Likes

I like prints to store things long term, but I wouldn’t want to work from one in this case. That gets more into the commercial realm when you bring in agar etc

2 Likes

Personal “bulk” amt of mushrooms? WTF does that mean exactly. Is that one pound or ten pounds or is that hundreds of pounds.
Because I’ll give you different answers for each.

5 Likes

just referring to the process of bulk spawning mostly, I know it’s a weird misnomer

This would yield somewhere in the ounce-ish range most likely, at least at a 1:1 spawn:bulk substrate ratio

it’s a decent alternative to the PF tek with improved yield

If your asking about personal shrooms…the word BULK should never be brought up… rather your referring to your substrate or how much shrooms grown.

If your growing for personal use…PF jars should be the only option you look into…that’s a fact Jack

2 Likes

never enjoyed running PF jars, I like popcorn spawned to coir/EWC/verm ordinarily. I’m working on another SOP for that method, but it’s pretty simple as well

edited the title to remove the misnomer, I still feel this is a good approach for learning the basics of monotubs

Damn you…
We had this discussion…

Did they look like these?

4 Likes

those are nice, the sonoran spores guy on reddit pretty much sent me a bunch of trich water

Is the exact reason I stated the above…
If you are not using agar…you have no business doing “bulk” spawn.

2 Likes

space constraints, budget, experience, prior knowledge, fun - there’s plenty of reasons

Are you suggesting people shouldn’t get into the hobby unless they’re willing to drop a significant amount of time and money? For an ounce or so? We all gotta start somewhere

Do you go straight to agar always, or do you not fruit a tub and pick something to isolate?

i have heard Sporeworks is decent. I have no personal experience with them however

1 Like

Space…PF Cakes take up next to no space.
Budget… they dont get any cheaper…
Experience…prior knowledge… the fact your asking…is the reason you should be using PF jars…

No im answering your question…
If your going to use a spore syringes… your wasting your time with the bulk spawn… you need to keep it easy… the game here is “what’s going to grow FASTER” the mycelium or contamination…
Inoculate a PF jar and with that same syringe inoculate your “bulk spawn”…you will see…FACT

LOL
You cant isolate from a fruited mushroom… you can only get an isolate from working with spores. LoL

I dont isolat to answer your question…that’s months of work… for a “MAYBE”
Your best bet is to take a tissue sample…take the sample from the BASE…the base from a CLUSTER…

3 Likes

He for sure did…because it was a SPORE SYRINGE

1 Like

Not what I was taught

yeah, with a non-viable amount of spores and a healthy serving of trichoderma. I know it’s not gonna be axenic, but it could at least be useable

I feel comfortable stating that PF tek jars suck, and this isn’t much better. It’s easy, and it’s approachable, not meant to be perfect

1 Like

https://www.docsdankspores.com/

5 Likes