Cheap budget tek for processing small amounts?

Yes sir 55f. Is the cold trap for reclaiming the last bit of solvent from the vapors before they get pulled out of the system?

1 Like

Yeah, or to protect a vacuum pump from damage.

2 Likes

Will a dewar style cold trap loaded dry ice be sufficient to use my 12cfm cheapo pump when winterizing and etoh distillation?

Hereā€™s my budget lab gear:

Here is a recirculating aspirator. You can put ice water in it and it functions as water recirculator for condenser and vacuum. No need for cold trap mostly, any solvent you miss just mixes with the water. I like those chillers soxhlet linked though, no fun to change out ice waterā€¦
https://www.usalabequipment.com/usa-lab-equipment-115v-60l-min-circulating-water-aspirator-vacuum-pump/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_Zr0gNOU3AIVjsBkCh0kwQVcEAQYASABEgJSL_D_BwE

3 Likes

Yeah, should work

2 Likes

Puccinia hoping I wonā€™t need to add an expensive piece like that until I have more need for it. Right now Iā€™m only looking at processing 10-20lbs once every few months and I already have a 12cfm vacuum pump. A 20 dollar cold trap is much cheaper than a 500 dollar water aspirator

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Welch-WOB-L-Pump-2522B-01-Laboratory-Vacuum-Pump-Pressure-WORKING/301310996537?hash=item462788f039:g:~FoAAOSwmUdUYZOG

I may try and just use a cheap water pump, bucket, and ice water for a chiller. I have a -20 chiller for my SPD setup

If you plan on distilling cannabinoids with that spd a water asperator wonā€™t be appropriate.

2 Likes

I bought the above welch pump. Nice to have a back up if needed. I waited to see if @square_root_pharms wanted to snatch it up before I pulled the trigger.

1 Like

Thanks buddy I already have a vac pump right now hopefully it will work good enough for my needs.

1 Like

I own 5 now

2x welch wob-l for filtering etoh from buchner setup and 5l rotovap (1 back-up)

2x robinair 15550 2stage 5cfm bac pumps for my oven (1 back-up)

Welch 1400-b for spd setup

One can never have too many items or backups.

Lol

Reason why I have 20x 315cmh Philipā€™s bulbs and 5x 315 ballasts as backups. Shut breaks when stores are not open in my case.

1 Like

Ok so the cheap China pump I just bought is dead Iā€™m thinking of just getting a used welch. What would be a good budget pump for large buchner or hochstrom filtration, simple and reflux distillation of etoh extracts and possibly a vac oven down the road? Iā€™ve seen the 2585 welch on ebay used for about 350 shippedā€¦ should I spring for this if I plan to get a vac oven down the road?

I still follow Elliot, who is very active on FB and sometimes he has a differences of opinion from people of this forum and it is good to hear both sides and make my own conclusions

3 Likes

Amen to that.

1 Like

Returned the cheap China vac pump that was doa and scored a nice welch 2585 on ebay for 180 shipped. it looks like it will be plenty for my immediate needs I guess if I want a vac oven down the road Iā€™ll look for a 2581 capable of 29.8 hg vacuum.

Should I decarb my oil before mixing with diluents for vape carts?

1 Like

decarb will reduce the viscosity. possibly even enough that adding diluent is unnecessary. especially if you decarb under pressure in an O2 free environment (sealed container, pull a vacuum first).

if you might still have solvent in there, knowing itā€™s max vapor pressure at your decarb temp is a good idea. engineering toolbox is a useful url for that and lots more. engineering toolbox - Google Search I recall posting 40 PSI for ethanol around here somewhere, but you should look it up yourselfā€¦itā€™s just good practice.

My wife is currently running undiluted decarbed EtOH extract in a refilled store bought 0.5g cart. Iā€™m running a mix of delta8 distillate from @Photon_noir and a CBD hydrocarbon sap from good friend I trained.

2 Likes

I was just ranting senselessly to myself about this last night. I am NOT the ā€œSenseiā€ anyone really needs because I cannot teach people how to think for themselves, and thatā€™s really the MOST important trait to becoming actually knowledgeable about things! I still think Elliot is a rampaging lunatic with people he probably doesnā€™t know (like me) actually feeding him the only real knowledge he has when he shuts up for a second and listens to the few he thinks he can take advantage of, and thatā€™s really fucking sad for people I think heā€™s taking for a ride but cannot see it yet. That is, of course, only my duely educated opinion. And yes, I love wordplay. But it is refreshing to see this, so thank you, @lefties.cannabis . Warms the cockles of my curmudgeonly soul, it does!

3 Likes

Excellent advice, my friend, @cyclopath ! Truly! Weā€™ll see just how much Helium need be wasted on this process after all! :yum:

1 Like

Slowlyā€¦ thanks for all the help so far everyone