Chasing Barcelona's Piattella

If there is a chemical reaction occurring as a result, yes. I am unaware of what the reaction would be. Aged hash 100% tastes different than the stuff straight out of the freeze drier. Maybe it’s just the terpenes changing overtime OR maybe some other reaction is happening that we have yet to observe. Bioassay of many strains tells me taste wise curing changes hash and rosin flavor profiles. Do terpenes react with each other when mixed at all?

6 Likes

Well I have been making Hash similar to Piatella for years. I usually just kept it for my head. My curing was a little different though. I never have got it to look like the famous Uncle Farms mainly because the curing tech I used promoted oxidation.

Tonight I am pulling out some FF Straw-nana of the freeze drier in a little bit and I am going to wrap it up in a 2"X 2" cellophane than going to vacuum seal to put a little pressure on the loaf and also protect it from oxidation.

Tinkering trying to create a new product is my favorite part about hash. Most of the time its just one little thing I am missing to get a different consistency.

I am curious what tech everyone is using to attempt replicate Uncle Farm’s Piatella

5 Likes

I had previously “and accidentally” done an extended cold cure, no pressing or bottle rolling, and ended up with a product kind of similar, with cured material. Made a very sticky shiny “blob” basically. The dab and smoke is absolutely phenominal.

4 Likes

Is this like half of grandpa mud balls cured hash tek but now done to rosin?

Has anyone done lab analysis of their cold cure/aged hash or ‘piatella’? would also like to compare with some starting/finishing weights to understand what’s happening. bonus points if you have analysis from running side by side with non aged to see how content changed… haven’t seen actual testing results around piatella tech but haven’t looked very hard

3 Likes

Piatella is essentially well cured high end bubble wrapped up tight - you shouldn’t notice a weight loss at from freeze dried hash to a ready to dab ending form

4 Likes

Hashishene: The New Terpene On The Block | High Times

from testing aged hash, lots of info out there.

2 Likes

So nobody is going to flintch at 6 stars being wrapped in celofane and left for x ammount of time in a terp soup…?

maybe thats where the flavour enhancment comes from…

9 Likes

So long as it’s legit cellophane…?!?

3 Likes

So we’re against terps now? Or…?

Last I remember we blasted gasses through the stuff then purged it clean. I’m not sure the harm here if we can do that first one properly. The celophane wrap for hash isn’t exactly new news for any country on this side of the Atlantic though even for fire hash.

4 Likes

Sure they are toxic volatile compunds :upside_down_face:jk

But I ve heard/read murmors of terps like ocimene eating through plastic easy for example…

And im sure with concentration of such compunds in one glorius batch we could be talking leaching…( CoAs on interwebz from 5-8% 5 trpz)

Might be over thinking again on my vacation time… But id maybe replace that step with anothrr material…

brother sub, analytics world made me paranoid about everything…

And if were talking ffiwe xystars i see only thick inert vacumholding glass, of the highest quality accompanying the last steps to the process and such a product…

Any real CoAs of this gang? Im betting anywhere from 60-75% tac, or are people already washing 90% thc solventless

1 Like

When he says: “first, you need to ‘melt’ the ice, but without forcing it. Just use time and no air. Air will accelerate the oxidation process. My goal in this type of curing is to slow down the oxidation process to give all of our members a chance to smoke a fresh Piattella at the best moment of their lives.”

The ICE he is referring to is the hash. Ice is a common slang in Europe for water / Ice hash.

6 Likes

Avoid the oxidation by putting it from the final screen directly into cold water that has just finished melting the ice.

I haven’t tried this using degassed water from an ultrasonic. Might be too extreme.

The jars in this YT pic of someone from the forum here show jars holding trichomes in a stasis to avoid oxidation by air.

Big thanks to @SubstituteCreature for reminding me to share this tip somewhere.

5 Likes

Just to be clear, not at all what i’d do but not saying it’s invalid either

You do you shawty

2 Likes

Wait, what is end game with this jar of water & trichs at this point? Still gotta get poured through the same micron screen and into the freeze drier? Sorry if I’m missing conceptually why ya want the trichs in solution.

3 Likes

Less oxidation occurs.

For rosin maybe. I can’t see how piatellla or any hash could hit 90 but maybe im just an idiot

Less oxidation occurs…before it goes into freeze drier? I’m confused, my hash just generally goes directly from the screen to the freeze dryer. This jar of hash water still needs to be screened back through micron bags and dried right?

Genuinely interested and trying to see if I’m missing something here

2 Likes

Did you ever get a nice result out of letting it cure under vacuum? Interested in this cuz my vac ovens are basically functioning as side tables nowadays.

That was sort of my view on it - pretty much the same as throwing the whole tray in the chest freezer but with more steps and more liquid for the freeze dryer to remove which unless you’re working with an insaneo pricy unit that can remove tons of water you’re setting yourself up for a bad time

2 Likes