Chasing Barcelona's Piattella

Over the course of Spannabis & Ego Clash this year, I saw “piattella” popping up frequently in IG stories. While I initially figured it was a cultivar in Spain, I came to find it was remarkable post-processing technique used by Uncle’s Farm in Barcelona.

So I figured I’d check to see what was floating around here only to see:

Then I came across this video that dropped today which gives a bit of a closer look at the end product. Highly recommend putting your feelings about Puffco/Roger aside to check:

So my question is to people like @afro , @Roguelab , @PharmExOregon , @The_Modern_Extractor or anyone else - have you had a chance to try it? How would you describe it?

I’ll be out there next month & curious to see it in person.

18 Likes

If @Roguelab has tried some he better have a little stashed away for me too :wink:

9 Likes

Wow. Just wow

3 Likes

I think the biggest clue I could have on the ‘how’ is if it leaves char in the banger. Not so much ‘char’ but more empty cell walls and shit like that.

5 Likes

Cold cure in a pressurized inert atmosphere?

5 Likes

It’s very similar to how iceless washes come out, I’ll do my best my next run to save a loaf like this to send slices of, but from what I’ve gotten out of friends over the pond is it’s very similar to fine heads that melted together or were stored and under cold cure and did the same as the terps bled to the surface.

Is there any chance an extended cold cure on the hash would cause some terps to dissolve more cells walls/trichs and resulting in less char and cleaner burning hash, more flavor too possibly.

6 Likes

I can’t see how there would be less char from just a cure nothing non-target is going to evaporate in the jar

It’s the process being done, no ice less particulate during extraction, the hash is much cleaner but holds itself at room temp from the stability of the trichomes together, not from mostly heads fractured off and possibly breaking apart during extraction. A true art of a process imo.

6 Likes

You’re right there would not be less char as that is due from plant material mainly. I meant to imply that, when I dab full melt, I still see the heads dissolve on the banger or slurper. When I look at piatella, it looks smoother and like some of those heads have been dissolved. I suspect that will lead to less heads being visible on the slurper when/after dabbing the piatella. In some respects there not being head residue to clean up on a banger means a cleaner burn. I have some of our hash cold curing right now we I’ll see what our product turns out as after we try this. I’m greatly interested to see if my suspicions hold up. We are using 90-159u 1st wash 5 min machine agitated super boof melt for this experiment. It dabs very clean as hash and the comparison between the two should be interesting.

1 Like

I have been sifting through some information about piatella, it appears that is correct.

When they prepare their water for the wash, they add the ice in and let it fully melt into the water prior to adding the fresh frozen material.

That information came directly from Uncles Farm, one of the two entities responsible for producing piatella.

To me it appears the trick to making hash of this quality seems simple… it’s gentle cold water extraction, no ice at all, very gentle agitation i reckon this is likely being done by hand (wooden paddle/spoon) or using a low flow vortex.

I would say with certainty the water must be below freezing temperatures during the entire extraction process.

There wouldn’t be, the curing process is strictly for regulating color by preventing oxidation, the quality has nothing to do with their cold cure process, i think they’re using that as misdirection as they mention ‘cold cure’ twenty times in every interview ever.

To me it appears their quality is dependant on water temperature and a gentle method of agitation, they have found the sweet spot for temperatures and a very gentle agitation to minimize contaminates.

They claim it’s 90µm, i cannot imagine they’d be using any “new” type of separation methods, this seems entirely process dependent and one word stands out… gentle

Uncles Farm has stated that “flattening the loaf” is apart of their curing process as well.

Some claim that they use iceolator(ice in water), but nothing from Slite23, Uncles Farm or La Sagrada Farm referring to the use of it that i could find during a brief sift.

Everything indicates fully iceless.

2 Likes

do you read this stuff before posting

I believe 5% of what i read here on a good day.

5% of the 30% of information you can comprehend

2 Likes

Change that 30 to a 3.

Is it realistic to think that simply because the trichome cell walls have been further dissolved into the terpenes, that this would effect flavor directly? They are still in the final ingested product, simply in another form

1 Like

Its just high quality water hash cured at cool temp at low humidity , it nucleates and bleeds terps .Made it many times . Fire in fire out .

4 Likes

Some general themes for Piattella:

• Often uses 90u trichomes as reported on Uncle’s Farm insta. Have rarely, if ever, seen a full spec piattella
  • Several videos show a half-unwrapped plastic wrapping around the piattella loaf - I imagine this is their “low oxygen” approach to prevent oxidation during the cure process
  • always formed into rectangular bricks approx. 1-2 inch tall and approx. 3-4 inch wide.
  • iceless extraction process?

Personal thoughts:
If piattella is bleeding terpenes at its surface, surely this must come from the breakdown of trichome walls during the cold cure process? I would imagine this is the case as the product itself amalgamates during the cold cure.

It MAY also be some sort of osmosis effect (dry outside environment pulls moisture [terps] from inside trichomes, gets trapped within plastic wrap, larger amounts acidify and eats away other trichome walls causing cascade effect).

There is a Florida-based company trying to recreate this for the American market, Sunburn Cannabis, but they are calling theirs “Aged Water Hash”.

The quality is definitely not there.

While I’m not sure of the cold cure length, surely piattella does not fall into the “aged” hashish market like a temple ball would? How do we feel about this?

These same hash heads thought frenchies mud balls were all the rage enough to pay how to learn to make their own mud balls

Fresh press or cold cure shots on this new trend.

5 Likes

I read somewhere that a vacuum sealer adds just enough pressure to help break down the heads slowly. Could be BS though.

4 Likes