Certified to run cls in Michigan

Does anyone know if you have to be Certified in the state of Michigan to run a cls?

1 Like

Legally, yes. You must have a state issued processing license to extract cannabis. After that is lots of regulatory inspections, equipment certification, etc.

7 Likes

Thank you very much I forgot to mention as for an extractor working for a legal processing company would you need to be certified as an individual?

As in does the state of MI require a cannabis handlers card? Eg OLCC handlers permit?

1 Like

Correct, I believe each operator needs to be certified from the equipment manufacture. I could be wrong but I know a lot of our Michigan customers request training certificates for all operators.

4 Likes

You are asking if the state requires the oem manufactures to provide a certification for the individuals operating their equipment?

Owners may want to find a tech that has training experience from the equipment manufacturer but it’s not required.

3 Likes

All hazardous equipment and processes on said equipment needs a verification that said employee has received said training but that is completely internal they do not need to attend an out of company certification course afaik

4 Likes

Kinda confusing coming from the regulators right? Lol

2 Likes

Right their training records are a standard internal compliance booklet, this is standard practice across numerous industries.

Its not like certified forklift operator tier shit but i can tell ya hwat if it was someone might make a killing becoming a certifier.

4 Likes

What is that booklet anyhow can you share? Looks useful

2 Likes

This simply reads to me that you need to be trained to operate the equipment. It doesn’t say that they need certified by the equipment manufacture.

I’d hope everyone operating any piece of equipment has been trained in some form before being let loose on it.

5 Likes

Yes you must be certified by the manufacturer of the equipment in order to operate said equipment. This predominantly falls on the company to have the training completed.

Every new technician I’ve brought on was required by the state to be trained by the manufacturer, which includes a certification with your name on it.

4 Likes

Yes that’s exactly what I was looking for in the state of Michigan specifically. So If a tech has been trained on site say by current extractor on sop and safety protocols no third party certification would be needed for said tech to operate a cls with nitrogen assist

Not true, when BFS does inspections they want to see certifications for each operator on staff. This is in Michigan specifically, I deal with these inspections regularly.

7 Likes

Thank you for clarifying. @ExTek90

2 Likes

What If the manufacturer doesn’t have a operator certification program?

3 Likes

Welcome to my world.

5 Likes

That looks like the training documentation on BFS inspections - which you can find in the technical bulletins page of the MRA. I’ve yet to be able to find a statute that says these things are needed and the updated NFPA (which they are sourcing) doesn’t mention anything about these things either.

Doesn’t mean we don’t have them - just means that they might be doing a little bit of regulatory over reach instead of actually confirming things are correct. -shrug-

Most non-cannabis facilities are engineered by the site engineer who stamps all drawings, reviews all submittals, and does a final walk through with the inspector. Often that is a third party (cause not everyone keeps engineers on staff…) but it doesn’t have to be.

I think the funniest part is that they want people to have training documentation for a facility that isn’t even open yet - where you can’t even have solvents or biomass running. But I digress. :wink:

5 Likes

Seems like the best world.

So here is the links and stuff I was talking about in my last reply.

Inspection criteria with links to all the regulations as well.

Technical Bulletin on BFS role in MRA inspections and licensing. There’s more info here as well - which details the kinds of things they are supposed to be looking at (which is also clear about an engineer being able to show compliance to NFPA).

Guideline from NFPA specific to cannabis businesses - which doesn’t say anything about third party certifications or third-party training being necessary. It does however say that your system must be safe and that your operators must be trained to operate equipment and emergency stuff safely (but really…if you cannot manage to document that your team is trained to know how to put out fires and transfer solvents safely…you should not be operating an extraction facility).

Standard for training certification via ASTM (legit we just voted on these, doesn’t say anything about third party anything, BTW).

So yeah - sometimes they ask for this stuff. This stuff is specifically in the statutes anywhere - which means they are making up their own rules instead of following the law, which they are allowed to do… This happens a lot and its okay - it also means they you have an opportunity to politely let them know you have an alternative solution and show them how it meets the code. You MUST have a state licensed engineer to make these kinds of statements though. <3

Hope that helps for those that reached out about being more specific. There’s a lot they can do - most of them are supposed to be helpful and guide you the right direction. But you should already know what you have to do before they come for a visit.

Knowing is more than half the battle here - not knowing can really lead to negative things. :frowning:

4 Likes

Your c1d1 booth and actual processing rig need inspected and ok’d by the local fire bureau. Lab techs to run it need absolutely nothing through the state or local government to run a rig.

You do not need a extractor license like a nurse needs one.