centrifuge filter bags

@Champone
Yes I have two kegs with diptubes. I use an air compressor to push the liquid back and forth between them. I suggest getting 1/2" coil, 1/4" takes along time. I just go thru the coil 3 times before using the alcohol. If its room temp, u need to do it 5 times.
@ Rowan
I suggest getting more then just the 0.5 micron one.
Also if I did this again, I would make each additional bag, 0.5" shorter then the previous one. Stacking 4 of these bags the same dimensions doesnt make for flush walls, theres some wrinkling snd folding. Nothing bad, just isnt perfect and mine can be improved
The dimensions of the cylinder is 9.5" diameter x 13" length. Which is about 31" x 13" rectangles and 10" circle to account for the stitching area.

4 Likes

How much dry ice / iso ratio? Instead of keg a small freezer?

I fill the iso to the top of the coils (mine is all coiled up within the bottom 9 inches of the cooler) so 9 inches. Then I just keep dumping dry ice in there until it’s over the alcohol. U need one or two “scoops” added in everytime u move 15 gallons thru it.
I didnt do this before and ended up using much more dry ice in the dewax column sleeves. Now with this alcohol prep, I do a 96lb run (8ish hours, 12lbs per hourish) with less than 150lb of dry ice

3 Likes

So we’re talking making four layers of .5 micron material?

Dude your info is making me so freakin happy rn I’m trying to hit those number right now and this is what I was invisioning and you’re confirming it all

1 Like

I was going to do this same thing but lately I been spending more time over engineering shit then actually making product but bout over that ha. What do u think about blowing lco2 right in the iso bath to cool? Or dry ice work better?

1 Like

What I use is 100->50->10->0.5
Majority of the stuff gets trapped in the 100 micron and 50 micron range.
So I’m thinking if ur just using 0.5 micron, ur gonna have a bad time. 4 of the same micron wont do anything more than one, I think

3 Likes

Yes my kinda guy. Over engineering is my middle name. Tbh I’d rather design and build the systems than run them any day of the week.

4 Likes

Ok so the .5 is there more for structure and to catch any random bits- gotcha

1 Like

This is all felt ?

Btw I started taking data on fill rates and I suggest u keep it at 1 gallon per minute filtering rate. I can get up to 1.5 gallons per minute but you’ll start to get it to mist up or shoot up into the side walls and drip down the sides.
I use dry ice just because I get it at 0.40/lb and its 20 minutes away from me. I’m not too familiar with other methods of chilling, I would assume ln2 poured into the cooler would work fine
@Rowan yes all felt, I think all from duda disiel
https://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=sheets
Oh and my aunt triple stitched them, I think a double stitch is sufficient. I also stitched little color zigzags on there, a color for each size. Because the 0.5 microm will be the only obvious one, once u start using them

2 Likes

Not ln2 I’d be using a co2 siphon tank direct spray into iso

I’d imagine that being more efficient that way, I think lco2 gets much colder than solid co2

2 Likes

Ln2 is actually super super inefficient compared to dry ice at these scales I learned the hard way- it’s way cheaper to use dry ice and I avoid directly tossing it into my solvent at all costs and use a lot of iso baths to get my stuff down to temp.

I got two 230L dewars and they lasted me two days I rocketed thru the stuff- you need atomizers that inject it directly but it needs be injected at the bottom of a very tall column filled with solvent

1 Like

Sequoia has a serger and will make these things bulletproof and pro level- I already have a design in my head just ordered $250 in filter material to make some prototypes.

2 Likes

Jeez, that’s alot of felt.
If anyone’s wondering, I got 4 bags per yard piece I got and I’ve been using the first set since day one. I’ve got probably 200+ gallons thru it now
What are u designing?

1 Like

A stackable filter liner kit for :panda_face:

3 Likes

Not trying to sound arrogant or anything, but how is urs gonna be different then the way I described?

1 Like

I just want to say in this business ya kinda gotta be a loner at times and shoot getting in here sometimes at night is just kinda like having beers and talking shop w the boys much obliged boys

3 Likes

Ya I’m not saying it’s “my” design I’m just measuring out patterns and ordering materials cause clearly it’s a needed upgrade.