centrifuge filter bags

@PofH
Just had a panda explode on him

Thank you @Demontrich

wow. that took a long time.
can’t say I’m surprised.
Is everyone OK?

do you know if they were spinning extracted biomass, or using it for a filter?

@PofH any chance you can document this in the salad spinner threads. Or even a thread of its own? there are a lot of folks using Panda’s, and letting folks know that it can happen is probably important information for this community

2 Likes

He said he cut the lid around the groove, loaded it up, and it wobbled violently. Possibly unbalanced.

I just watched the washing machine mod video, seems much better. Now where to put a fn washer at?
Lol

1 Like

That sounds more like a mechanical failure than solvent + ignition source.

2 Likes

Didnt mean actually explode/fire.

1 Like

Bother :slight_smile:

So much for using that as a marketing ploy…

3 Likes

If u press hard with a fat screwdriver on those wires that the lid locks into they will get locked in and just leave the lid up. If u accidently close it, open it like normal with the button and redo the scrediver trick so u can start it with the lid open.
If i had it perfect i would have a stainless pipe with a shower head on it to spray the alcohol into it while the lid is closed, it would have a funnel attachedment or a hose barb for pressure feeding

That panda issue sounded like he didnt balance the biomass evenly, u can tell within 2 seconds if u need to fix it or not…

3 Likes

Yes I can. Basically don’t do it. You need the top for the structural support.

@cyclopath I am fine.

To add more info. It’s a very simple hack, use a solder iron to melt the plastic or a couple of knives and apply heat:

Melt the plastic and follow the inner ring.

Volia

There a pin which is essentially the safety that is the trigger when the lid is down. You can just throw that away.

You still have the handle to turn it on, and trottle the speed.

Structure and why not to do this.
It is no apparent but when the lid is closed it make the unit structurally integral. Think about a soda can verus a thin aluminum cup, the can you can probably stand on it and the cup with collapse.

The incident.

Cyro ethanol wash in bubble bags and then remove the bubble bag with plant material, remove as much ethanol as I can and place in the Panda. Ran the panda, no lid, got up to speed and looked perfectly balance, then BAM, the top flew across the room and the hand to another part of the room. The bottom also came off.

Possible solutions you can hold it but the panda spins very fast or you can throttle it turn it on and off, but be careful, or build a brace of some sort.

5 Likes

I cut mine the same way w some muscle and a husky knife new blade each panda

1 Like

You can completely remove the entire plastic lid and tape down the button on the bottom so it stays on, and just plug and unplug it. Its the only way to keep it clean(ish) Just be sure it’s balanced, and keep the EtOH cold so there’s no explosive vapor.

1 Like

I would suggest putting that on a power strip with a switch. I used to unplug running equipment all the time on job sites without incident. Until I finally had an incident and almost burned down the damn building (and fried the cord on the air compressor). It’s unlikely it will happen, but a power strip would be a cheap way to ensure it doesn’t happen.

2 Likes

Agreed, a switch is better. Keeping it cryo and lots of ventilation makes the Panda somewhat safe I believe.

3 Likes

So you extract with free loose material then dump in panda?

I like this outside the box crazy idea of mixing all the powders in at extraction time to have it bind up everything as it comes out and not a 2nd step. How does it work?

I extract with a 100 micron sock inside a dewax column, then gravity drain and take it out. Flip into a 100 micron sock that is oversized for the panda and just wrap the top up a bit.
Then after all the alcohol is saturated I run it through the second panda that is dedicated to just alcohol filtering.
I havent done a side by side comparison, to see if it made any difference with or without powders, but I’ve ran over 20 gallons so far and still dont see a need to change the filter bags out

5 Likes

So you are basically running pressure bho style with etho over your material? What ratio of etho to biomass? Do you mix the powders in your etho then blast it thru? Or mix powders with the biomass? What’s ur etho temps and residence time? How’s your color?

2 Likes

No pressure. The top is open. I put enough alcohol In the column to cover the material, about 7 gallons for every 6lbs of trim.
I stopped using powders in the extraction and initial filtration, I didnt see any difference using them in the panda or in the extraction column.
I freeze the alcohol overnight in a deep freezer, gets down to -15C. Then I run the alcohol thru SS coils submerged in dry ice/alcohol slurry. Each 100ft coil is bringing the alcohol down another 15C. So after 3 cycles, its down to below -50C. (My thermometer bottoms out at -50C) from that point on it stays that cold. My residence time is 30 minutes with a stir at the 10 and 20 minute mark

5 Likes

Is the coil in the cooler ? Pump it thru a couple times and good to go ?

1 Like

Hey y’all so my girlfriend is kind of amazing with a sewing machine and is set up to do leather, I asked her to make me some panda liners with .5 micron material and she’s gonna make a few on Tuesday- if they turn out nice I will post here anyone who needs liners can just DM me and we can work out a deal, cost of materials and her time- or you can just buy some custom leather gear from her and we will throw in panda liners as a bonus. Check out her insta @rivettedleather

7 Likes