centrifuge filter bags

I like this outside the box crazy idea of mixing all the powders in at extraction time to have it bind up everything as it comes out and not a 2nd step. How does it work?

I extract with a 100 micron sock inside a dewax column, then gravity drain and take it out. Flip into a 100 micron sock that is oversized for the panda and just wrap the top up a bit.
Then after all the alcohol is saturated I run it through the second panda that is dedicated to just alcohol filtering.
I havent done a side by side comparison, to see if it made any difference with or without powders, but I’ve ran over 20 gallons so far and still dont see a need to change the filter bags out

5 Likes

So you are basically running pressure bho style with etho over your material? What ratio of etho to biomass? Do you mix the powders in your etho then blast it thru? Or mix powders with the biomass? What’s ur etho temps and residence time? How’s your color?

2 Likes

No pressure. The top is open. I put enough alcohol In the column to cover the material, about 7 gallons for every 6lbs of trim.
I stopped using powders in the extraction and initial filtration, I didnt see any difference using them in the panda or in the extraction column.
I freeze the alcohol overnight in a deep freezer, gets down to -15C. Then I run the alcohol thru SS coils submerged in dry ice/alcohol slurry. Each 100ft coil is bringing the alcohol down another 15C. So after 3 cycles, its down to below -50C. (My thermometer bottoms out at -50C) from that point on it stays that cold. My residence time is 30 minutes with a stir at the 10 and 20 minute mark

5 Likes

Is the coil in the cooler ? Pump it thru a couple times and good to go ?

1 Like

Hey y’all so my girlfriend is kind of amazing with a sewing machine and is set up to do leather, I asked her to make me some panda liners with .5 micron material and she’s gonna make a few on Tuesday- if they turn out nice I will post here anyone who needs liners can just DM me and we can work out a deal, cost of materials and her time- or you can just buy some custom leather gear from her and we will throw in panda liners as a bonus. Check out her insta @rivettedleather

7 Likes

@Champone
Yes I have two kegs with diptubes. I use an air compressor to push the liquid back and forth between them. I suggest getting 1/2" coil, 1/4" takes along time. I just go thru the coil 3 times before using the alcohol. If its room temp, u need to do it 5 times.
@ Rowan
I suggest getting more then just the 0.5 micron one.
Also if I did this again, I would make each additional bag, 0.5" shorter then the previous one. Stacking 4 of these bags the same dimensions doesnt make for flush walls, theres some wrinkling snd folding. Nothing bad, just isnt perfect and mine can be improved
The dimensions of the cylinder is 9.5" diameter x 13" length. Which is about 31" x 13" rectangles and 10" circle to account for the stitching area.

4 Likes

How much dry ice / iso ratio? Instead of keg a small freezer?

I fill the iso to the top of the coils (mine is all coiled up within the bottom 9 inches of the cooler) so 9 inches. Then I just keep dumping dry ice in there until it’s over the alcohol. U need one or two “scoops” added in everytime u move 15 gallons thru it.
I didnt do this before and ended up using much more dry ice in the dewax column sleeves. Now with this alcohol prep, I do a 96lb run (8ish hours, 12lbs per hourish) with less than 150lb of dry ice

3 Likes

So we’re talking making four layers of .5 micron material?

Dude your info is making me so freakin happy rn I’m trying to hit those number right now and this is what I was invisioning and you’re confirming it all

1 Like

I was going to do this same thing but lately I been spending more time over engineering shit then actually making product but bout over that ha. What do u think about blowing lco2 right in the iso bath to cool? Or dry ice work better?

1 Like

What I use is 100->50->10->0.5
Majority of the stuff gets trapped in the 100 micron and 50 micron range.
So I’m thinking if ur just using 0.5 micron, ur gonna have a bad time. 4 of the same micron wont do anything more than one, I think

3 Likes

Yes my kinda guy. Over engineering is my middle name. Tbh I’d rather design and build the systems than run them any day of the week.

4 Likes

Ok so the .5 is there more for structure and to catch any random bits- gotcha

1 Like

This is all felt ?

Btw I started taking data on fill rates and I suggest u keep it at 1 gallon per minute filtering rate. I can get up to 1.5 gallons per minute but you’ll start to get it to mist up or shoot up into the side walls and drip down the sides.
I use dry ice just because I get it at 0.40/lb and its 20 minutes away from me. I’m not too familiar with other methods of chilling, I would assume ln2 poured into the cooler would work fine
@Rowan yes all felt, I think all from duda disiel
https://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=sheets
Oh and my aunt triple stitched them, I think a double stitch is sufficient. I also stitched little color zigzags on there, a color for each size. Because the 0.5 microm will be the only obvious one, once u start using them

2 Likes

Not ln2 I’d be using a co2 siphon tank direct spray into iso

I’d imagine that being more efficient that way, I think lco2 gets much colder than solid co2

2 Likes

Ln2 is actually super super inefficient compared to dry ice at these scales I learned the hard way- it’s way cheaper to use dry ice and I avoid directly tossing it into my solvent at all costs and use a lot of iso baths to get my stuff down to temp.

I got two 230L dewars and they lasted me two days I rocketed thru the stuff- you need atomizers that inject it directly but it needs be injected at the bottom of a very tall column filled with solvent

1 Like