Celite replacement

Im looking to replace celite 545 with another media. I use a small bed of 100-200g below my W1 in my crc column. I use it help prefilter and take some of the workload off my paper and sintered filtration.

i have been experiencing alot of inconsistent batches of celite some with crazy amounts of fines making its way deeper into my filtration and causing issues.

i’ve heard of people prewashing their medias, but for me id rather pay more for a more selectively produced product maybe with stricter tolerances or something. my time in the lab is too valuable to spend washing powders.

i’ve heard of people saying they stopped using celite but i cant find out what they started using instead.
thanks for sharing any intel!

Has anyone tried washed sand?

2 Likes

Washed sand doesn’t stop medias.

Hi Pnwbb,
Lose DE/Celite is packaged as a "range " of micron or removal ratings. So the range might be fairly large and depending on the micron “range” of the filter paper your using, you can have breakthrough of the DE through the paper. If you purchase your DE/Celite built into a filter structure, like a lenticular or filter sheet/pad, the range is far more narrow. If you look at the grades offered by Imerys for Celite you will see there are not that many grades and the micron range is broad. With filter modules or sheets you will many grades and the micron range is narrow. Thanks, Greg

2 Likes

I’m actually looking to replace the diatomaceous earth in my filtration. I use at as a bed underneath my W1 and I’m noticing when I’m replacing the media that the DE hardens into a clay against the walls of the column and it’s rather time consuming to replace the medias.

I was told to switch to silica60 below the W1

I was experiencing the same I had started using felt and sintered disk. Issue gone. now I just had lipids slip through which can be resolved by running colder

3 Likes

AO cold enough (freezer temp) will stop that.

Where are you located??

Use some quicksand from www gochemtek.com

4 Likes

Switching from de to silica won’t you now have to worry about silica slipping by?

2 Likes

1 Yard Sheet of Polyester Filter Media [sheets] | DudaDiesel Biodiesel Supplies use this in place of celite

2 Likes

I stopped using celite in my crc. I’ve got a monster filter stack down to 1um to back me up.

5 Likes

I dont use celite, or any magical stack or what not. I let someone else do the magic.
Lol

1 Like

There are about 1000s of versions of celite. What’s important is the type of de you use. Alot of commercial de is just cheaply sourced and even domestic types. There are specific mines that produce a higher grade and there are seiving methods to produce higher flow rated de.

1 Like

Would you recommend W2 as the best option for flavor/flavonoid retention?

thank you, Im going to try these immediately!

thanks wax ,is this the r&d stuff you were working on? you sent me a bucket to try and I loved it!

1 Like

Yes it is and for best retention i would say w1. From what im seeing each powder has its own flavor it tries to replicate no matter what the input is. Unless its some fire fire then the profile will go all the way through no matter what powder you use

3 Likes

I just ordered 10kg of W1 and 2kg of W2, you’re saying the quicksand as a base over the DE? I’m trying to read more about that polyester felt.

2 Likes

Thank you for that. There out of stock of the yards. I just ordered a meter instead.
Edit. Tampons for the win.

1 Like