Celite replacement

I have had good success with the DE called CELPURE P1000. Food grade, high-flow rate, ultrapure so contains less Al, Fe, Na, & Cu, and has less influence on pH. More expensive, but the purity and size consistency seems quite good.

3 Likes

thank you.

How did you stack the tampon under the CRC media? cut it to fit the column? fold it? Did you go 1um or 5um?

1 Like

Havenā€™t had a chance to try it out yet. Been stuck in the planning/building stage for so long I feel like wax will be $5 a gram and available at the gas station before I ever make a run. But after reading till my eyes burn on here, I know Iā€™ll be trying many different configurations. I like experimenting, so Iā€™ll try 25um coffee filter followed by 5um filter paper from bvv directly below the cat nip in a jacketed 6x24 material column. Then for cr a tight rolled 2ā€ tall 1um tampon below B80 in a 2x12 filter column. But Iā€™ll probably change my mind 10 more times.
I suspect one very tight lipped member on here is tossing his nuggs, shake n bake style in his remediation blend before blasting straight to recovery. I really want to try that.

1 Like

You need something like DE to create an acceptable 3D matrix filter. The purpose of the DE itself is to create another dimension for filtrationā€”and that added dimension provides some assurance that finer particulates are adequately filtered.

Why exactly do you want to get rid of DE?

2 Likes

Someone recommend silikate pulver as a replacementā€¦

That helps my understanding of it a bit better.

The DE is hardening against the walls of my vessel and itā€™s requiring me to have to scrape it out when I replace the media.

My ultimate goal is to speed up reloading the media. I bought the vacuums recommended and they donā€™t work, they clog from the media almost immediately.

Iā€™m going to purchase a few different types of the DE mentioned on here, I didnā€™t think they could come in different grades but itā€™s worth a shot to see if maybe Iā€™m just using a cheap brand.

This may help illustrate my current CRC breakdown- Where would you utilize the tampon?

The way I rigged it currently is when I replace the media, I just keep the sintered discs and sightglass connected to my rack, I then disconnect the column (the media stays in because I use a filter stack at the bottom)

Put the cylinder into a trash bag and carefully push the media through the column into the bag.

But the damn DE can harden and make this process sort of a bitch.

EDIT: And if anyone is curious, I have never seen media get past the filters in the 5um, I clean the 1um during the entire breakdowns and have never seen anything caught in the filters.

I vacuumed out my crc a couple days ago, no issues (3x18)

And I canā€™t see the picture you posted. Itā€™s just black.

1 Like

1 Like

Thereā€™s like a thousand types of celite. Using a wider band mesh celite prevents that serious sticking. Also if you are done with column you can flush to a drain tank a separate solvent to help loosen it up especially in reverse flow.

1 Like

thanks for getting involved in the thread.
as i stated i am trying to replace the d.e. because i had gotten a bag that had a lot of fines that were making their way past my filters.
i ran before this bag fine with no fines and run fine now using a different source.

point being i dont want to waste time getting bunk batches.

is it your opinion that the polyester felt is not a suitable ā€œ3d matrix filterā€ to filter out the medias?

1 Like