CBDV distillation thoughts

Hmmmmmm I feel like you had to have picked up some acid somewhere in the process, could it be possible somehow you got contamination or something from a d8 run?

Be careful throwing that whole 70 kg in the kd10, I might try and run a few kilos and see if the same thing happens. If it does I’d considering water washing just to adjust the pH so you don’t get isomerization

That material is really valuable you definetly don’t want it isomerizing too much

3 Likes

There may have been some residual d8 from a disty rum that could have contaminated, but I’m pretty meticulous when it comes to glassware pre post runs.
As for the chemtech, yeah we usually run a few kgs first then adjust and let er rip.
“Cold” terp pulls followed by another medium temp pull at a lil deeper vacuum. Then finally run her hard. Seems to work pretty good.

2 Likes

CBDV_2nd_Pass_Heads_Golden_Piedmont_Labs_12_31_2021.pdf (117.8 KB)
CBDV_2nd_Pass_Golden_Piedmont_Labs_12_31_2021.pdf (117.3 KB)

Hmmm…:thinking:

What temp did you cut heads at?

What was the vacuum level?

Was this on the kd10?

Lower vacuum will help seperate them easier

1 Like

This was from the spd. I’ll have to look at my notes when I get back to the lab on Tuesday. Will let you know

2 Likes

NO IT WON’T.

YOU showed us earlier today that the boiling points will get CLOSER as you suck harder.

2 Likes

Ty for correcting me, my mistake I’m sick and got confused

I was going to link that post, and Idk why I said higher vacuum I meant exactly that

my pleasure :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

as was seeing the nomographs posted earlier…

not being able to relocate that post had me worried I was making shit up.

I’ll take either side of an argument just to get the discussion moving. the concept that you were arguing both sides of this one just did not compute.

3 Likes

I believe the purple is a sign of recent conversion from high purity CBD/CBDv isolate, but is actually independant of catalyst type. It happens upon UV+O2 exposure, is quite limited to a few hundred ppms at mist, and it is transitory, eventually leading to a more natural brown/orange.

In fact I believe this happens because initial material is too clear and thus more sensitive to UV and color display.

3 Likes

I only have ever seen this with a metallic catalyst when going for d9

Never have I had d8 created with an acid oxidize purple, it’ll oxidize red. Never purple though.

This was made with triisobutylaluminium which is why I know the cbdv above was made with it too

I know someone who uses ZnBr to get a 70/30 d9/d8 blend and his stuff oxidizes purple too

This is a mystery I’ve been trying to figure out for a while

3 Likes

I also believe the color depends on whether it is d9 or d8 dominant. D8 will turn more red/pink, and d9 more dark purple.

I think this is due to partial oxidation of phenol groups to quinone, associated with intermolecular coupling (quinone-phenol partly sharing proton) and slight charge delocalization.

4 Likes

D9 derived from biomass doesn’t oxidize purple though

2 Likes

antioxidant impurities?!?

5 Likes

What we need to do is try using znbr or triisobutylaluminium and make as high d8 as we can and see if that oxidizes purple, if it doesn’t Jeb it correct

2 Likes

In many cases the product are yelowish distilates.
As @cyclopath suggests, I believe that yellowish tan either provides sort of anti-oxidant properties, or is the sign that an equilibrium was reached (as observed with semi synthetics thcs).
Regarding THCa diamonds, I remember a few report here dealing with aged diamond (likely partly decarbed) that turned purple.

If a clear product is dissolved inro a yellowish enough oil, it does not turn purple at all, ecept if blasted with uvs for a while. This suggests that natural cannabis antioxidants should play a big role.

1 Like

From my notes:

Vol & Terp Strip
100c-135c bf
Vapor 90c-129c
Vac 1100-900um
Condenser -10c-45c

Heads
138c-166c bf
Vapor 129c-142c
Vac 400-100um
Condenser 45c-90c

Mains
160c-177c bf
Vapor 155c-169c
Vac 100-60um
Condenser 95c-120c

Of course this is while ramping. Going to try again with lotsa variables to see what else bounces out.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

@Kingofthekush420 @Dr_Jebril

I’m not an SPD expert.
But I’d suggest you should try to do this with a narrow head (to go slower) and fraction every 25%.

3 Likes