Cbd isomerization to d8 and d9 thc

This is a exploratory thread about different THC synthesis paths.

we still don’t know exactly what O3 do to the CBD and it is still pretty much a unexplored field.

That’s why I’m looking forward to the test results.

1 Like

Yes, and thus your “synthesis” doesn’t belong here. You’re quoting from a bullshit patent and know nothing about chemistry, how do you think you’re qualified to contribute anything at all?

Correction: YOU don’t know. to an actual chemist it’s pretty obvious what happens: CBD gets chopped to bits thanks to the exceedingly powerful oxidant properties of O3.

CBD has way too many reactive groups to yield even a single-digit number of products from this reaction.

not that you could glean anything useful from those with your nonexistent relevant background.

As long as you do not consume it, it is fine.

4 Likes

You seams to know a lot about THC synthesis!

What is your option about the cold reaction with glacial acetic acid and 0.05 mol H2SO4 from a side reaction perspective?

Glacial acid are not a Lewis acid and it cannot form a covalent bond with an electron pair.

Dose this means that it create less side reactions compared to other relevant Lewis acids?

3 Likes

No ones lead anyone down anything here, this member brought his own projects to this thread. If you do note I also warned about o3 as well, I’ve heard stories of another member using it to do this & not quite the same results but I’m sure that’s likely due to inputs. Other than that, you said it wouldn’t do anything, yet there’s patents online for it? Just like the same patents all of us have read & used to applicate into actual tek for labs as well.

So please, before you go off with your bad attitude, get your suggestions in order please.

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy: you wish

4 Likes

I almost thought I missed Roiplek, but nah.

9 Likes

Hi, I’m happy to be part of the community. I have few questions, if someone can point me in a right direction that would be great. I’ve read the paper, and my goal is to make high % of d9.
I have CSA and CH2Cl2 and stirred my isolate as the paper said at room temp. 48h

I received my lab test and surprisingly:
Result HPLC …
|THC|1.1 %|
|(CBN) Cannabinol|1.31 %|
|CBDV|0.2 %|
|delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ8-THC)| 73%

It is before the vacuum distillation, so probably bit higher. I was expecting high percentage of d9 but, I ended up with some d8??? Where do I fucked up?
What would be the best solution / method? Using toluene and or PTSA?

On top of that I ate 100-110 mg of this distillate, and honestly I felt very uncomfortable. Never happened with shatter infused edibles.

The distillate also can not be smoked in raw form, it is too hard and if I put to the nail, the dabber immediately clogged???
This is not a problem anymore after adding around 7% terpenes.

Thank you all

1 Like

Did you take care to dry glassware/solvents/isolate?

1 Like

That paper has interesting info, but results should be considered with quite some circumspection…
CSA is quite equivalent to PTSA, just a bit slower and less specific to d8.

5 Likes

No, I didn’t.

I know, but that’s why I picked DCM & CSA combo.
In case I add more acid, and stir it just for 24 hours, it will be different?

Reaction time can be decreased to achieve more ∆9 or increased to make all ∆8.

Thank you.

How people reaching high percentage of d9?

D8 will be perfect for edibles, but I had bad experience. I still can’t figure it out why. Shall I eat it with some oil? 110mg of 75% pure d8 distillate should give a nice trip, right? I had high discomfort, so smoked some cbd distillate just to “relax” myself. I won’t give this to anyone else, if I didn’t enjoyed.

More acid will likely bring you to the same results, but a liitle bit faster.

People reacting for a limited ammount of time, ideally stopping at the point where all CBD has been converted, but not too much d8 has formed yet.

3 Likes

This 100%

I’m now starting to see some decent d9 numbers with short run times and stronger acids, this was a recent run someone I know did with ptsa and limited amount of time:

quickd9

I used to think longer run times with a lewis acid like zinc bromide/chloride was best for d9 or a longer run time with a weak acid like phosphoric in heptane but now believe short and sweet is the best way.

9 Likes

Depends mostly on your tolerance.

You still like heptane for that reaction? running at reflux?

I’m smoking around 3000mg THC every day for years, and bho never got me this weird feeling, so not tolerance issue, I think. Same amount of decarbed extract never had problem.
I will give a second chance. Kind of disappointed after the first experience.
Smoking with terpenes is decent, I’m not sure if it is potent enough to fill carts.
I was planning to use in edibles if it’s all d8, but I’m not sure now.

So basically constant testing testing testing, until I get the right temperature, time, acid, solvent, and stirring speed?

2 Likes

The best would be to run the reaction halfway till you have 50/50 CBD/D9 and some minor d8 then separate whit chromatography and reuse the cbd again since I saw no complete conversion to D9 without pyrophoric catalyst.

5 Likes
  • The cannabidiol from Example 2 (18.5 g, 58.8 mmol) was dissolved in dichloromethane (324 mL, 17.5 vol) and heated to 25°C. Triisobutylaluminum (5.9 mL of 1 M solution in hexane, 10 mol% catalyst) was then added via syringe and the reaction stirred at 20-25°C for approx 20 h. After this time, HPLC analysis of the reaction mixture showed consumption of the cannabidiol and 94.8% trans-delta-9-THC. The reaction was quenched with water (1.6 mL, 15 equiv. based on moles of catalyst) and stirred for 1 h. After filtration through celite, the solvent was switched to toluene and the reaction mixture azeotroped to remove any remaining water. The solution of product in toluene (total volume ca. 92 mL) was used directly in the subsequent step.

How about this reaction?

4 Likes