Cbd isomerization to d8 and d9 thc

How would you remove DMSO from the product?

1 Like

@squig is smarter than me. I had asked where to read about how to calculate how much acid is needed to catalyze a reaction. Without a Phd level understanding, the answer is optical rotation and testing small amounts with different variables.

3 Likes

I’m confusing with another acid. :woman_facepalming:
The lowest pka is 3.13, so the lowest pH at high concentration will be about that.

1 Like

Shouldn’t these optical rotations have a couple more parameters quoted along with the value?

potential hydrogen is not the same as the negative log of the acid dissociation constant (Ka) .

pka works in all mediums its how easy the acid will give its proton and I hate the math behind it.

I had a tough job of doing poly protic acids in any media with pka

ph is the potential hydrogen in an aquas medium hence why we can not measure it in alcohol.

citric has three pka values one for each carboxyl group that can give a proton.

really im a shit chemist and a mediocre bee there is far better than me.
beaker was far better than I at these things.
nicodem at sciencemadness he is a true wizard and I would not be surprised if he works somewhere
like beayer.

im just board as im stuck at home on lockdown (again)

optical rotation can be measured with a protractor its just an angle to my knowledge.

having said all this if I even tried to pull the I know this shit on other forums I would be shot
down so quick its not funny because I don’t know it I kind of know it which is a big difference.

7 Likes

again a heap of math and that’s just wiki

THC delta 9 is stated as ‎−152° in wikipedia I think its a bit more of a span than an exact
number for most peoples measurements.

THC delta 8 from adams journal publication Isomerization of Cannabidiol to Tetrahydrocanabinols 1941 done with p toluenesulfonic acid isomerisation is stated at -264 to -270

when adams did his work there were no spectro gear like we have to day.

he didnt know THC 9 or THC 8 it was all recorded in optical rotation.

he even states Dependent upon the conditions used, the
tetrahydrocannabinol obtained had a specific rotation
which was reported as alpha D -160 ± 10" or
alpha D -240 ± 10". The results in preparing these
forms were variable. Even though carefully controlled,
successive experiments often gave products with different rotations.

he goes on to suggest a couple of reasons why it might happen either a double bond moving
or a change in levo dextro isomer so even with out the gear we have he was kind of onto
the reason for the change.

the paper can be found in AgTonik’s ref collection

there is a review of adams work that goes into some detail using NMR and IR and explains
the steric hinderence and why D8 is more favourable over time than D9

it is posted above as
THE ISOMERIZATION OF CANNABIDIOL TO TETRAHYDROCANNABINOLS Y. GAONI and R. MECHOULAM

it also has another hidden gem in it and that is cannabinoids precipitate with dinitrobenzoyl chloride.

a procedure is provided but here is a more general procedure for phenols

I think you get funky colours too (notice the english colour there) so it may be that
CBD and THC have a different shade or colour to them.

also being the CBD has two phenolic groups it may again have different solubility properties
allowing for separation as the ester and then hydrolysis back to the CBD or THC.
also may be a cool way to drop cannabinoids (with the phenols of course) out of crude

Compound Via (250 mg) was warmed at 70” with 3.5 dinitrobenzoyl chloride (400 mg) for 4 hr
without a solvent. Benzene (20 ml) was then added and the insoluble dinitrobenzoic acid was filtered
off. The solution was washed with 5 % NaHCO,aq and water, then dried over Na,SO,. The residue
obtained upon removal of the solvent was chromatographed on 50 g silica gel and eluted with pentane-
ether 97 : 3. The dinitrobenzoate obtained was recrystallized twice from pentane, giving crystals
m.p. 125-127”. (Found: C, 65.77; H, 6.65; N, 5.79. C&HI,NIO, requires: C, 65.87; H, 6.71;

maybe a way to extract OTC CBD mixes which will be all we will be able to get in time
due to this thread :slight_smile:

no you can not patent it I will prove it was not yours as we all can now.

I forgot to mention its recrystallizable and due to it being an ester and more polar now
might happily go through normal phase chromatography to separate the cannabinoids.

purification to the max

8 Likes

Who on here is conducting cyclization test runs with 100g or more?

What I was getting at is for each of those measured optical rotations a temperature, solvent, light source, path length, and concentration were mentioned. From this measured rotation the specific rotation was calculated.

ethanol no temps on wiki temp vary around mid 20’s to low 30’s in adam’s work but show similar
rotation hence the range rather than a solid number.

sorry miss understood you

Will this affect the lewis acid reaction? 4a Molecular sieve beads remove water. I was told to only use the beads for conversion to D9. Could be wrong, any insight will help.

1 Like

I don’t believe so, it was done pro Bono by vsw remediation. I sent additional samples to green leaf labs and energy control

Awesome work and great info. I wanted to chat with you about a consulting option as soon as possible–if possible! Thanks!

D8 crude from 5g isolate @JedClampet tek. 250 mg citric acid, refluxed 12 hours with boiling DI H2O. pH water washed 3x. I’ll probably run it over to my local testing spot some time this week.

EDIT: It crystalized, meaning less than 50% was converted. It needs more HEAT + more TIME + more ACID.

13 Likes

Have you built one of these yet?

I really think it needs at least a 24 hour reaction which sucks because its so much slower than other methods but its such a safe method when it comes to exposure to the base materials. Going to increase it to 10% tomorrow in Distilled H2O/super sciency secret additive. Ill post my results around the end of the week.

8 Likes

Doh! I’m trying the 5% one today @AgTonik. Guess I’ll let it go for a while longer in hopes. What’s the secret sauce your tryin @JedClampet, can you share?

1 Like

I can’t unfortunately. Guy that gave me the nudge in the right direction wants it to stay between us.
That last citric acid one I did I did it over two days 12 hours one day then cooled over night then fired it back up for another 12 hours. I’m sure a trained chemist would be horrified to hear that but it worked. Ish.

3 Likes

Time to move this to a new thread - @JedClampet Tek ? open source this beautiful beast and work out the kinks! Nice work @JedClampet !

Oh this is a story bout a man named Jed, poor mountaineer who barely kept his family fed,
And then one day he was workin for some food, and up from the flask came some bubblin crude.
D8 oil that is, Texas tea.

Well the first thing ya know ol Jed’s a millionaire,
The kin folk said - “Jed move away from there”, said Cali fornae is the place to be
so he packed up the truck and headed to Beverly, Hills that is.

8 Likes

lol that was the reasoning behind the name except it was in regards to pulling CBD crude out of the plants on my farm. I’m down to move the thread but I dont know how.

6 Likes

@cyclopath @Siosis @Mosaic_Co-Labs

Can you guys do this? My limited skills are no match for your (super) F42 powers!