Cbd isolate isomerization to delta 8 thc

Isomerization of Cbd issolate I recomend a solvent as carrier of your catalyst and Cbd
Throwing the catalyst directly in the Cbd is not a good idea as off yet
Most isomerizations can be done at temps below 100C
In all my findings the presence of moisture makes D8
And dry conditions make D 9

2 Likes

I wonder if distillation of well preformed isomerizations to D8 is the best cleanup
I find waterwashes with ph swings do more cleaning than distillation does
Not saying that it s not smart to do but
I think that implementing several cleanup steps
Make the cleanest prodduct

6 Likes

That sounds very interesting.
Is ethanol a good carrier for catalysts?
And can you tell me a good catalyst that is available in Europe?
Do you do the water wash instead of the SPD or as extra cleaning before distilling it?

Most isomerizations are done with a acid so water washing is really necessary
Any acid will have a isomerization as result
The art is to find those that create little to no unknowns
And the isomerization that s your target

3 Likes

A detail of Wich I am not really sure
For sieves are hard to dry and any humidity works against the goal

1 Like

your description of the process suggests you should not attempt this yet. If you’re unclear on the meaning of catalyst vs isomer, you’ve got a lot of reading to do.

start with the definitions of Isomer & catalyst. use google.

if you can’t define “isomer”, how are you going to know if you’ve made one? Do you have any idea what else you might make?

How are you planning on evaluating the success (or failure) of your isomeriztion reaction?without a way of figuring out what you’ve made, all you’re doing is destroying CBD.

Folks with actual analytical equipment (HPLC, GC) are making stuff they can’t identify.

were you just planning on “adding an isomer, heating, then huffing the results?”. please don’t. you have no idea what you’re making…

there is a HUGE amount of discussion here on the subject. read some more of it.
https://future4200.com/search?q=isomerization

if you can manage TLC and are doing this for your own edification, then by all means, but if you have no way of knowing what you’ve made, I respectfully suggest you don’t attempt it, because… YOU HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHAT YOU MADE.

huffing it to see if it gets you high has been documented as dumb.

11 Likes

Yes I know, I have a lot to learn. I’m new to this topic and I read another thread about isomerization and there sounds relatively easy.:sweat_smile: But now I know it isn’t easy. and I don’t want to make it when it’s not safe. First I build my SPD system and learn normal distillation without catalysts in my extract. I will read about isomerization in future and try it when I’m 100% sure what I do.

1 Like

that’s a good find

I know someone getting 70% d9 with wet hcl and molsieves

2 Likes

Performing wet D9 conversions timing is crucial
Stopping the reaction before D8 starts forming
Adams his papers prove this

4 Likes

We need to try that phosphoric sop you posted in the messages, lets try it with mol sieve I bet it would help

1 Like

I did and doubt there use ad to benefit the reaction lately

2 Likes

it is relatively easy. BUT you need a way of figuring out what you’ve made. without analytics, you’ve got essentially zero clue what is going on. if you’ve got the ability ($ and availability) to send your products out for third party testing, then you can make progress…

we just don’t want anyone to get hurt…

3 Likes

My gripe with 3rd party labs is they seem to be staffed by fairly generic chemists who don’t treat any one sample with any particular scrutiny or with any insight into what the sample actually is or could be - although they do fine at identifying the basic cannabinoids. I mean, how many labs have all the dienes, varins (or whatever chain), double bond isomers, acetylation products, hydrogenation products, and their acid counterparts? None, because that’s prohibitively expensive and very commonly career analytic chemists lack broad synthetic insight. I will say, some third party labs are willing to add standards to their libraries at the request of a client.

That is to say, synthetic work however facile should be done by groups with at least one person on board who is proficient enough in analysis to do basic LC method development and has the wherewithal to either have the standards on-hand for all likely biproducts (something one should ponder heavily with any reaction, really) or to isolate impurities for NMR purposes and make internal standards if necessary.

5 Likes

Is there a guide to testing that could help point me in the right direction? I am going to be attempting the process and don’t plan on huffing it to see what I got lol. I would really like to do in house analytics but this option seems quite spendy. Im hoping there are some cheap options to help me dial in the process then send to lab for actual batches intended for use. Any help is greatly appreciated.

@Mattsm Use @kcalabs. They are on the cutting edge of testing. They are accurate and professional for all cannabinoids (not just D8) compared to all other labs.

2 Likes

Thank you!

@Mattsm, it is best to test on HPLC with us first and then when you need more detailed info we can run on our mass spec to see which isomers you’re getting. Give me a shout on here or trustedresults@kcalabs.com.

1 Like

I agree, being an amateur chemist can be exciting and rewarding… but extremely dangerous. For example (these I or someone I know have experienced): distilling SO3 (g), which imploded the glass distiller once deposition occurred, breaking up LilH4 chunks outside of N2 atmosphere (burns like Mg!), or thinking it would be funny to throw a piece of K in a puddle, which melted through the roof. HF can get through you skin and erode your bones. There so many examples I could literally go on for hours. Leaving flamables in a non-explosio-proof freezer.

BF3 .OEt2 s a beast and should be ice-cold when opening to be used. or it could be under pressure and fill the room in seconds without proper ventilation.

Be SUPER careful… find a mentor.

1 Like

Before it does that, you’re long dead anyways :wink:

1 Like