CBD Isolate crashing out of PG

I never finished or got any conclusive evidence regarding PG. the proposed safe limit before aldehyds was around 300C if I remember corrextly.
Most vape pens run above this temp.
It still has to Be third party tested and reproduced.
There are also proposed benefits of inhaling PG. some antibacterial or microbial effects…also against viruses.
Because this isn’t currently proven and because most vape pens operate above 300C. (I could be meaning 200C btw).
And after the vape cart debacle — not many here are going to Be supporting that. VG is an absolute no.
There are some isomers and other cannabinoids / things you can add to prevent crystallization.
Those guys might jump on or you could ask for and buy an SOP and source the necessary ingredients here @Kingofthekush420
Good to hear you quit smoking and vaping has improved your health.
MDIs are the next step.

5 Likes

@anon86230761

Thank you guys for explaining to him!

Makes it much easier to read and to not see repetitive bullshit

4 Likes

Thanks Matt! There’s no oil at all in the vape. Just PG, VG, CBD isolate. Ive only used ethanol extracted isolate prior to this. I do notice a different consistency in the CO2 extracted.

That’s not isolate then.

I’d need to know more about your product before I can make a conclusion.

A molecule is a molecule as @anon86230761 and @RockSteady said. So if your consistency is different then it’s not just cbd and it’s contaminated

2 Likes

The source CoA reported greater than 98%. My third party CoA was 99%. I immediately noticed a different consistency in the CO2 extracted isolate, it feels a little more course. The color and odor are on par with good isolate. And all the analysis I have say the same. It dissolves fine in MCT and grapeseed (no the MCT and grapeseed are not for vape, its for tinctures and topicals). PG source has been consistent.
Im homogenizing the PG solution on a heated stir plate. I only make 800 ml of solution at a time. 650 rpm @ 100 F for approximately 2 hrs. It stands to note that Im not making carts. The final product is a 30 ml bottle containing VG PG and 500 mg of isolate.

I would remove the VG.
What about CBDa crude instead of the PG or at least most or all?
I will be working on a project that will have CBDa in a near clear, very good color crude oil.
That would be perfect to add some isolate to bump the percentages up.
Or, you could just use that as a stand alone
Should be between 70-83% CBDa
I don’t know because it isn’t done or tested yet but that is my expectation range

3 Likes

you say more coarse? means that the milling on the c02 material wasent as fine. try milling further (mortar and pestle) before introduction to the PG, probably wont help much.

id look into a high sheer homogenizer, youll increase your shelf stability substantially

2 Likes

I’ve had similar problems with CBD, I don’t get where people say it crashes above 65% I’ve had it crash at 20%. I have a feeling it has to do with ph levels of the pg/cbd since I’ve heard from very reputable labs that they can do up to 60% consistently. Also goes with the belief that TEC helps prevent crystallization. @BrotanicalMatt could that have something to do with it?

1 Like

You all should realize that if any liquid is not a solvent of cbd
It is as if it s not there and the cbd is still concentrated
Don t know the exact numbers of cbd weight
Disolving in mentiond liquids but they are probably very low

1 Like

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1413069?mc_cid=a4063cd4fe&mc_eid=ca288e7635

1 Like

Ok so let’s do some math.

Average .5g cartridge provides about 200 modest draws.

You’re saying that you are making a 500mg solution mixed into 30ml of carrier.

Meaning that each hit works out like this for dosage

500mg/ 60 .5ml = 8.3333333mg per .5ml cart
8.3333 / 200 puffs = .0416mg per puff

That means that in order to even begin to feel any kind of relief you would need to chief down a cart or two or three! Which I think anyone can agree is greatly outweighing any and all health benefits associated with vaping over smoking.

One of the biggest foot shots of the industry is exactly this. Ultra low dosed products at $10-$30 that people buy at gas stations or whatever and then never try again stating “ I tried me sumadat CBD and it didn’t do nuthin fir meh”. No shit it didn’t do anything for you! There was hardly any medicine in there!

Thank god the wholesale market is coming around to a point that hopefully the retail market will soon reflect which will bring proper dosages into an affordable price range so that we don’t lose another several million would be customers to this snake oil bs.

Which is what your market sounds like.

To each their own and I respect that you are trying to provide a reusable e-liquid rather than making 60 pieces of trash you just make one. Kudos for that. As for the rest of what I’m hearing though, it sounds like you are creating a brand that is soon to expire.

7 Likes

Ya this is where I’m at! The low voltage ccell batteries and glass ceramic carts operated at the lower temps. According to this there is no negative conversion but I would want a more definitive test. And as far as ratios - PG in my mind was to be in the 2-5% range. Only to dilute the terpene ratios down from 10% which may be too concentrated and add the anti-viral etc component — especially for tropical areas like Hawaii which we see much higher rates of pulmonary problems like walking pneumonia etc.

I’ll read this again and maybe they have a more detailed trials list.
I wasn’t sure where it said “gaseous formaldehyde not collected” but then when on to say it was analyzed”. And of corse the high voltage can be cast out because this isn’t debatable.
The reality is that the product would have to be in a sealed disposable unit because someone would put a cart on a high voltage battery for whatever reason and :skull_and_crossbones: Darwin

1 Like

I believe this one is done more recently

2 Likes

We used to set out ultrasonic Bath to around 50-60 C and do 15 minutes of ultrasound, It dissolve CBD very well and seems to help with crystallization…Need more study on it, not sure if scientifically correct…

1 Like

In the end I supposed the only health improvement will be the MDI

The tests still aren’t perfect or mimicking the real life conditions but nonetheless, definitely would require someone to do so and confirm safety before selling such a product IMO

This is what blows my mind that people just make and sell and release products like no big deal.
Here’s my mct / VG / PG blend that’s 20% cannabinoids - no big deal.
Cheapest prices lol
Wtf
And people are actually mad at the fda. I’m starting to rethink my whole position on that…maybe oversight is a good idea.

3 Likes

I feel your frustration my dude. Oversight won’t correct people with an Ethos that’s eroded. They’ll always find a way to weasel around because that’s what they do and regulators are always a step behind. How one does anything, is how one does everything. Cart cutters are the same as cash croppers. Tis what it tis.

2 Likes

Good point

if you smoke cigarettes, there is 100X the amount of formaldehyde than in eliquid.

1 Like

And that makes it safe?!?

1 Like

99X safer :joy:

3 Likes