"CBD Is over"

Vice recently released a rather harsh article titled “The Year of CBD Is Over”, bashing CBD and the industry as a whole claiming CBD is dead. With prices tanked, public opinion shattered, and government action on the horizon, is “CBD over”? I disagree with much of the article but watching the industry fall apart over the past 6 months, the future seems dark. The general public does not know or seem to care about “the next life saving minor cannabinoid” as they are still wanting their money back on the snake oil they bought off amazon. What’s everyone’s thoughts? Where do we go from here and how as a community do we paint a brighter future?

11 Likes

Make something with tangible benefit that clients value or gtfo. Same as it ever was.

33 Likes

2020 = year of Innovation and exploration (hopefully)

10 Likes

“Public opinion shattered” ? This seems pretty melodramatic…Did the sky fall and I missed it?

18 Likes

Retail product pricing needs to fall in line with the wholesale market. $80 for a 250mg 1oz tincture bottle is ridiculous and simply not affordable for most consumer budgets. Retail products have seen very little if any drop in price over the past year. Time to align with the wholesale market.

29 Likes

This price relfects the risk associated with what used to be only a quasi-legal industry. That’s over and done with and production is now full bore. Give it a year or two and I guarantee prices will be plummeting. You can already see this in the steadily declining cost of CBD isolate.

7 Likes

Hemp seed oil being marketed as hemp oil and the underdosed CBD products that flooded the market for short term profits ruined CBD. The people who tried these decided that CBD does not and cannot work for them and they will never spend money on it again. Their minds are made up.

Hemp cigarettes as a means for quitting nicotine cigarettes is where I think the money is. Especially with the current method (ecigs) crumbling. With a cigarette filter and all. I think we will eventually see hemp flower ground up, deodorized of terpenes and extracted of cannabinoids, with CBD sprayed back in with propylene glycol to saturate the plant material and non cannabis terpenes to create a real (but actually fake) cigarette product. The right blend would beautifully cater to the masses and fill the void of nicotine cigarettes. Yes, we all would despise it but that’s would sell. Unfortunately the US just loves mass-produced chemical concoctions

12 Likes

Herbal medicine has been here since long before y’all showed up and it’ll be here when y’all fall off.

I cannot wait to see the market collapse further and push more snake oil salesmen and band wagoners out of business.

39 Likes

Well when I saw “cbd” products in a tjmax last year claiming a “sex boost” or “focus enhancer”, it was easy to see this wasn’t going to go over well, with either the public, nor the government. So as it is now, I’d say the gold rush is over, if there ever was one.

This is from an outside opinion, but it was pushed hard as a snake oil, and until that stigma is gone, in addition to the stigma of legality, things are gonna be in flux and there really won’t be a way to gauge the market accurately.

13 Likes

The busters pushing hempseed oil definitely hurt the industry. A lot. Like a few people said, the people that bought that stuff will never try CBD again because they think they bought real CBD when they were buying hempseed oil, that obviously did not help them.

But for all of those people, there are also tons of people who swear by hemp/cannabis medicines. I think CBD is far from dead. The price has fallen through the floor, but there is still money to be made even at the reduced prices. I mean, people (consumers) aren’t even semi-educated on cannabinoids in general, yet. Let them get educated, and we are just getting started.

I think the creme will float to the top, and those out there making real products, with real CBD and real effects, will be just fine. But lots of not-so-legit companies are certainly going to fall by the wayside. Which is great for those doing it the right way.

8 Likes

Diversify your products and actually learn the fucking work and art of medicine making that has been practiced for centuries and maybe you might make something worth consuming that might benefit someone… these people look at the plant like it’s a new flavor of expensive chewing gum with zero thought to how plant medicine works.

Lol it’s like watching people eat nothing but bread and complain that it’s not working and they’re undernourished, but the only production is bread because everyone’s a baker now.

the market like wants a full sandwich but they haven’t seen one in so long, now they’re going back to foraging nuts and berries and killing an occasional elk or rabbit.

God damnit learn to make a god damned sandwich or get the hell out of my bakery asking about why no one wants bread anymore.

“My oven is made from the bones of my ancestors… and mud.”

20 Likes

Couldn’t have been said any better. At the end of the day, the most important thing is making real alternative medicine available to the public. Contrary to the pessimism in my original post, I believe we are on the verge of seeing the market flooded with quality and innovation. Those who push false product and claims will not be around for much longer and the public will hopefully be more educated, which will result in regaining their trust as a consumer.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more! This industry has some incredibly smart and passionate people that want to create real medicine. Cannabinoids aren’t going anywhere any time soon my friend. In my own humble opinion.

1 Like

Yes, all wholesale products have plummeted. Isolate, crude, distillate, T-free but the retail store shelves haven’t followed suit unfortunately. Honestly, I think an apothecary type sales model would serve the industry better than the plethora of products available today. Walk into the store and have them weigh out a batch of isolate or distillate in front of you and you take it home to make your own. As the public gets wiser this is a real possibility and it would be a major market disrupter to the current products on store shelves.

8 Likes

I made a small personal line of products for my mother’s barber shop because some jackass dropped off a brochure selling CBD wholesale @ 60-75 each claiming they can sell for 100-170 each. Shampoo and lotion for $270??? I told my mother throw that shit away and if that guy comes back let me talk to him.

People don’t believe in CBD until you give them something that works in a no pressure environment. I agree with virtually all of these posts in this thread. But since I make my full spec legal tinctures @ ~$7 by hand, I told her sell them $10 below that magazines wholesale and give free samples out. It worked. As a barber her clients are policemen, firefighters, general contractors, teachers, all servicemen and jobs that fuck your hands up. Give them a quick hand rub w/ full spec and they always say “this is amazing.” It seems to work wonders topically for arthritis.

I’m not going to get rich off of this but it’s making me some extra cash, my mother gets a bunch of extra cash (compared to what she makes as a barber), and she gets return customers.

Price point is right (for now), it works with a demo included, it comes from a trusted source (me, her son and my LLC), and it looks like a real product (no paper stickers, she has all of my material origin statements and COAs at her shop). CBD works really well for my dog as well.

CBD isn’t dead, the landscape is changing. Too many people have the get rich quick mindset and they will be weeded out.

15 Likes

You putting dirt in your boiling flask again :rofl:

14 Likes

Beautifully said, and I agree 1000%

2 Likes

Lol I actually have 1 demo apothecary store in operation and days away from opening another doing almost exactly this although CBD is just a supplement to the business model. Doable for now until regulations prevent on site manufacturing (which will happen eventually). Basically walk in, pick your base whether its lotion, beard oil, tincture, stuff to make vapes, perfume, shampoo, massage oil etc… pick a scent out of our huge arsenal of fragrances flavors and essential oils, dose with CBD for upcharge if desired. Mixed on the spot and as custom as you can get. In this model what we are selling is the experience. As with business in general you have to find a niche, do something better than whats on the market, fill a void or create a need.

14 Likes

Really like that idea! Would love to see a bunch of local cbd apothecary type stores spring up!

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ve always want to have an apothecary.
We should talk - I can get you in touch with my buddy from Peru. Shipibo ayahauscero and wow it would be great to access the plants there and bring to market.

6 Likes