CBD crystal

Thoughts? What can I do to make this better?

2 Likes

Better how? are you going for high purity low pigmented white isolate?? or are you trying to grow big cbd crystals?

1 Like

The purity is 98%+. What would I have to do to make 1 giant crystal lattice crystal and have no dendrites?

Your goal is to grow one large single crystal?

If so that requires a lot of work and playing around with variables.

I’d start with the basics and learn from others that grow large single crystals.
They do have competitions for growing single alum crystals, check it out.

3 Likes

I thought this was a great video to remind everyone of the basics. Solvent selection is discussed as well.

4 Likes

what I did to make that better was move the “!” back in front of the “[” rather than after your “?”

:upside_down_face:

…you had broken the “![” than indicates the start of an image when you misplaced your cursor and hit return.

probably need to wrap your head around this for a start.

Crystallization of CBD: Steps for Successfully Scaling Up

4 Likes

Patience. Lots of it

Start with a single seed crystal with a visually appealing lattice. Suspend it on top of the solution. There’s many ways you can make stay in that curve, gradual cooling or gradual solvent removal are the best places to start

1 Like

I once melted a bunch of CBD isolate that still had solvents, and purged in a vac oven in a glass pyrex dish. I ended up growing some pretty massive crystals by just turning the vac oven off, and probably releasing the pressure? No pics since I wanted little crystals.

1 Like

Playing with Alum may be informative…

See if you can beat the K-12 kids

Or at least learn what their teachers are feeding them up front…

6 Likes

Thank you, this video was very informative.

right?

you’d be surprised how many folks find “play with sugar” insulting and ignore it…

4 Likes

First decide Wich polymorf attracts you most
I find ipa as solvent the prettiest
Then take a wire or rope and letdown crystals grow on it this will make it a 3D crystal
Once nucleation happens you can start
Tweaking with evaporation of solvent
Adding antisolvent (water foralcohols )
Dmf for alkanes
Thf for the rest of solvents
Or play with temperature
Ph swings can be fun as well
By pulling the rope /crystal out of solution you can get all the rest back into solution easier and

6 Likes

Rougelab, these are things I want to know everything about! If you happen to have links to thread that discuss these advanced methods you described I would love that.
Thank you for the information.

Not really any links
Yust played with crystals a lot
It s a patience game but very fun to do
Worse cas dilute or melt it all back and start over 1 gram in a 25 ml beacker to start your polymorf of choice search
Once you pined down your favorit solvent then go larger
Remember the melting point of cbd is 72C so making a solvent hotter than 72C to supper saturate is gona give you
Unnatural crystelization in that solvent
So I would recomend to not heat solvents over 72 C when super saturating
Do not mix solvents it’s extremely hard to re do in exactly the same way
Vapor pressures and temperature are different things
Sadly cannabinoids are really difficult to get glass translucence
Vibration is a thing so place your crystelizing jars on a foam pad where least of vibration occurs
I also liked limonene as solvent
Gives a nice scent while your at it
And made me remember I was crystelizing something when I forgot all about them
Crystelization is the black magic art of chemistry so have fun

Ps look up quartz crystal growing in Japan those are the most amazing crystals

6 Likes

Quartz crystals are pretty amazing - I actually built a red box (sends a tone to a payphone that makes it think a coin was inserted in it) with a radioshack greeting card guts in high school and a blue box (you take their literal line over with a tone blast if on tone based switching systems) with the same stuff

None of them work anymore simply because of digital switching but holy shit it was cool to make it work

Also - we are so fucked when the Japanese get into cannabis extracts

2 Likes