CBD Cart Won't Crystallize

So I made a CBD vape that is 90% CBD disty and 10% cannabis terpenes…I took a few hits and left it in my car, left it in my desk and it’s been over a week…but it won’t crystallize. I’m trying to see if you can smoke through a vape with crystallized CBD because every time I try to make a CBD vape, it crystallizes. Just my luck that the one time I made it hoping for crystallization, I make my first batch that doesn’t crystallize…

Anybody have experience with cannabis terpenes vs botanical with CBD regarding crystallization?

1 Like

need it to crash out? drop a few flecks of isolate in there. Or put it in the freezer. Or both

1 Like

Cannabis derived terpenes, depending on the fractions, can have other constituents that seem to do a very good job at interfering with CBD crystallization.

Botanical terpenes, in my experience, do not possess this quality.

6 Likes

Did you check the ph of the distillate? I seem to remember a more basic solution was more likely to inhibit crystal growth. T5, T41, and Crystal Resistance

Hmmmmmm i Like the sound of that! Friday is formulation day and I’m getting all kinds of exited!!!

2 Likes

Here come the kicker…it crystalizes in the vial in which it’s stored but not in a cart with a small amount of cannaterps but I think @ExTek90 might be on the right path about having other constituents within the Terps

2 Likes

I believe it may have something to do with the pressure inside the cart, (my best guess) because I experienced the same thing, the cartridge didn’t crystallize until 3 weeks after the source bowl.

2 Likes

I blasted the cart with a torch (gently) and then put it in the freezer…STILL NOTHING.

I just find it hilarious that the one time I want to make it crash out…I can’t.

1 Like

He said he didn’t alter the pH, at least intentionally.
That was my first thought too.

@that445guy Nevermind, wrong thread. There was a similar one a couple weeks back that had the same topic of discussion. Weird lol.

Update: made another but filled the entire cart…crystallized over night. Same distillate and same cannabis terps used. What the heck…

2 Likes

This is what commonly happens with mine. Once you hit a certain volume- seems like there’s a large enough quantity of fellows that the cbd wants to join up and recrystallize.

Would love to find a way to.reduce this behavior without introducing foreign ingredients to the mix

1 Like

Electrically induced crystallization?

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2019/ce/c9ce00755e

It’s because agitation and cause quicker nucleation, so when you mix a batch with a stir bar, then fill an allflex gun, it’s getting stirred and pushed through small diameters while the temperature is fluctuating. If you’re just mixing enough for one or 2 carts, it’s probably not getting nearly as much movement, and not as drastic of a temperature shift, because you’re being very meticulous…plus you’re only capping one or two instead of 100 while it’s cooling- pressure from closing the caps after mixing and cooling will cause it to lock up much quicker…now to figure out this ph situation